Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Conch or Cucumber?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Shayne View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shayne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Conch or Cucumber?
    Posted: April 26 2012 at 1:37pm
Since my sand is already turning brown I'm thinking that one of the first things I'd like to add to my tank would be a conch. I've also read a lot of good things about sea cucumbers. Any recommendations as to which one I should use?

Tank Info:
90 G Main
50 G Sump w/Refuge
Utah Oolitic sand (about 3" deep)

21G Reefer Nano
Melissa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Melissa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2012 at 1:53pm
I have both in my 72g and they are doing a great job.

They're both also pretty cool to watch.
Shayne View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shayne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2012 at 2:11pm
Thanks Melissa! I think I'll probably end up doing that.

I guess I should ask, which one should I start with? I'd like to get my sand back to being clean(ish) looking again.

Edited by Shayne - April 26 2012 at 2:12pm
21G Reefer Nano
Melissa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Melissa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2012 at 2:30pm
I don't know if I can help you with that.  The cucumber came with the tank when I bought it in Feb. and I just added the conch Saturday.

The cucumber was always busy, but I noticed he has some favorite spots that he spends more time in, and for variety I went with the conch.
Ann_A View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ann_A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2012 at 2:43pm
I would do just a conch. A lot of cucumbers can pretty much kill an entire tank when they die. They release toxins into the water which will kill fish and corals. So I would say that a conch is a safer bet, at least to start with.

Edited by Ann_A - April 26 2012 at 2:44pm
Shayne View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shayne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2012 at 2:44pm
Ok, looks like I'll start with a conch. Thanks for the advice everyone!
21G Reefer Nano
Jeffatpm View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeffatpm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2012 at 3:12pm
Tiger Tail cucumber is supposed to be safe from doing that when they die, they eat the sand and poop it out clean.  They are a bit harder to come by however.
Conchs are just so darn cute too!
210 Reef with loads of LEDS
Large Fishey Room
Located Near Jordan Landing in West Jordan.
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2012 at 4:37pm
Hold on a minute, please.

This is a decision that should be made with consideration for the needs of the tank and the needs of a Conch Snail in mind.

A decision like this should be based on what is causing the brown color, how old the sandbed is and what is currently growing in the sand. It should not be based on rumor and hearsay such as this statement "A lot of cucumbers can pretty much kill an entire tank when they die."

Please post a pic of the sand and tell us about the filtration of this tank.
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
Shayne View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shayne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2012 at 4:53pm

I guess I should say that I'm not going to run right out and buy a conch. I just jumped the gun on feeling like I'd received enough responses to this thread. (I haven't. Please feel free to add your opinions.)

Anyway, my tank is technically one and half years old. I have been running it for the last 18 months pretty much fallow. I filled it with salt water, a couple pieces of live rock, and a little live sand. I then proceeded to let it run dark for 18 months. During that time I got a large population of small white featherdusters but that's all I could visibly see.

About 3 weeks ago I put on my T-5 light system and I added a couple pieces of live rock. Since then the rocks have been getting covered in various stuff. My sand has been getting brown spots (Like the stuff BobC has on his sand) and a little bit of other stuff. I've also noticed through the glass that the sand is getting little tunnels dug in it.

Filtration: I have about 3" on Utah Oolitic sand in the display tank and a 10"x14"x5" sand bed in my sump. I'm guessing I have around 90lbs of rock (which I bought from Mark Smile). I'm trying to pick up some chaeto either tonight or tomorrow.

I'm at work now but I'll try to get some pics up some time tonight.
21G Reefer Nano
Shayne View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shayne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2012 at 10:29pm
Here are my tank pics.

Edited by Shayne - April 26 2012 at 10:31pm
21G Reefer Nano
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2012 at 2:02pm
I'm going to be blunt here, for a reason. Do not add any kind of sand sifting creature in that tank. That would be the wrong thing to do. It could starve. Also, that is not what this tank needs right now. The brown algae growing on the sand and rocks is a normal part of a new tanks growth. Yes, this is like a new tank, because without much light, nothing was able to grow as it should.

Thanks for the pics. For me "a picture [really is] a thousand words".
ASAP, I'd add 20 Astrea Snails along with 10 Cerith Snails and stand ready to add more as needed to eat the algae that will start to grow on the rock and glass. Because of how this tank had some life added but has been sitting in the dark, my worry is that a nuisance algae bloom could come on fast and hard. Don't worry about the sand right now. In normal cases it goes away on it's own and the Ceriths will help keep it from getting out of control.
Big smile
Shayne View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shayne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2012 at 2:17pm
Thanks Mark!

Do you think I could add Nerite snails instead of Astrea? I've been reading about snails and it seems that Astrea don't survive as well in our tanks as Nerite.

Do I want any hermits?

Edited by Shayne - April 27 2012 at 2:24pm
21G Reefer Nano
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2012 at 2:20pm
Also, I should apologize to Ann. I shouldn't have singled out her statement.
The thing I have found is that Cucumbers do not die and kill properly set up and biofiltered tanks. The horror stories we hear and which get rumored all over the www are started by hobbyists, usually newer hobbyists, with little knowledge of how to keep things alive and thriving. Sure, Cucumbers do put out a toxin but for a properly set up tank that has enough growth in the sand to support a Cucumber, death is rare and of no consequence to the other organisms. The coral and/or fish might get a little stressed for a short while, but AC can quickly absorb the toxin.
The key is, as I said above, to learn the needs and take proper care of our tanks and our animals.
Shayne View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shayne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2012 at 2:25pm
I added to my last response above yours Mark.
21G Reefer Nano
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2012 at 3:04pm
Astrea do fine and are plentiful. Nerites are good too. I like a mix of snails because each one does it's job a little differently and the combination does a far better job than just one type alone.
No Hermits at this point.
Big smile
Shayne View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shayne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2012 at 3:12pm
Thanks again!
21G Reefer Nano
willrileyiv View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote willrileyiv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2012 at 6:37pm
i have a conch in my 46 gal as well as a sand sifting cucumber because i was told by a member on here that if it did die it woundt kill off my tank but both are doing awesome
Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2012 at 7:26pm
Didn't read above.... but cucumber guy here.

Adam
Come to a meeting, they’re fun!
sabeypets View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sabeypets Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2012 at 9:51pm
Hated my conch it was clumsy and tipped over any frag I put on the sand, I'm with Adam on this one "cucumber guy here"
Shaun
American Fork
"Would you leave a dead cat in your kitchen till tommorow?" Builderofdreams
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic