Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Pulled clam off rock

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
SkylerS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkylerS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Pulled clam off rock
    Posted: April 27 2012 at 1:01am
When I looked in the tank this morning everything was fine.  I got home from school today and noticed my clam was knocked over. (danged urchins)  This clam was previously attached to a rock and then unattached itself so I moved it to a new location.  Anyway, I went in to grab the clam to move it back to it's spot, and as I moved it I felt a little pop.  Apparently in the few hours that it had tipped over it send out byssal threads and attached to the rock.  It was only a few, and they seem to have ripped off the rock clean and are still with the clam.  I've read stories of people damaging the clam's foot this way and it's bye-bye clam. I just wanted to know if anyone out there has done similar and their clam was unharmed...?
Thanks!
ReefdUp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReefdUp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2012 at 8:51am
I did it once when I was young and foolish...no problems.  Accidentally did it a few years later...clam died.  No idea what the difference was.
www.reefdup.com
Diving since 2009, reefkeeping since 2007, & fishkeeping since 1987
200g, 75g, & 15g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
Dionysus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Dionysus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2012 at 8:51am
I don't know the answer but I found this. http://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=550839
SkylerS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkylerS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2012 at 7:15pm
Well, the clam seems to be fine.  Fully extending it's mantle, bright, fluorescing.  I'm sure it'll be fine. There appears to be no damage to it's foot, and it was only a couple threads that only had a couple of hours max to attach.  They tore from the rock, not from the clam.  Thanks guys!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic