Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Clam moving itself...sorta

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
SkylerS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkylerS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Clam moving itself...sorta
    Posted: April 29 2012 at 9:51pm
So, I have a blue crocea clam that, in my 65 tall, seemed to really like it's spot.  I bought it from a friend and he said it never attached in his tank.  Well, it attached to the spot I put it in my old tank within a week.  After upgrading my tank, close to a month now, it unattached from its rock.  so I moved it to a spot that I deemed more attractive.  Well, it kept being knocked over.  So finally I kinda wedged it in between two rock where it couldn't get knocked over, I figured it was either turbo snails or urchins.  Well, I was looking in on my tank and I noticed my clam was extending a long white phallic like thing from it's foot.  I thought that it was attaching.  A few hours later it was knocked over.  Drawing from this evidence, the clam was knocking itself over.  I assumed maybe I had it too high in my tank so I moved it down a little.  In the morning the clam was knocked over, off the rock work in to the sand.   So for now, the clam remains in the sand, upright of course.  I'm running 36 3 watt leds with no optics on my 75.  Would anyone else agree that perhaps it was unhappy with too much light and attempting to move itself down?  It's kind of stress right now and I'm noticing a little bit of bleaching in it's mantle.  It's fallen over half a dozen times in the last week.  
Jeremyw View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeremyw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2012 at 11:12pm
I had the same issue once... turns out the clam would close up and it would shift it around and knock it off rocks. 

I ended up putting it on the ground and it was a happy little clam! 
SkylerS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkylerS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2012 at 2:35am
Well, after posting I did a bunch of research and found that a lot of people's croceas die when placed directly in the sand.  So I placed him back up high, on a nice spot that kind of conformed to his foot, and he's putting out the long whitish penis thing  out on to the rock.  I guess we will see where he is tomorrow.  There's a couple snails on him right now, danged turbos... grr...they always find the one thing you want left alone for a day or two.  haha
ssilcox View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ssilcox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2012 at 9:23am
I wouldnt think that 36 LED's over a 75 would be too much light.

It is true that they are a rock dwelling species, but it should be just fine in the sand.

Just be aware of water flow (not too much, not too little) and lighting. He'll attach once he has found a spot that he likes.
SkylerS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkylerS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2012 at 1:42pm
Immediately after my last post he had fallen back in to the sand. I replaced him and this morning, back in the sand. Grr. That's too much to be just snails etc. I'll leave him in the sand.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic