Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

White Cloudy Water

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Ackbar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ackbar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: White Cloudy Water
    Posted: April 30 2012 at 9:17am
So, being new to this hobby it appears I have been over feeding the tank. From what I have read I have a bit of an alge bloom going on. (the water is slightly milky / cloudy white). How do you deal with this when it starts happening? Feed the tank less is a definite but what other precautions / things can I do to help the tank along? Id rather not snow ball this into a tank crash. 

Thanks!
SkylerS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkylerS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2012 at 1:10pm
Go to your LFS and buy bio clarify. I've used it in white water situations with success. It grabs the free floating bacteria and repositions them o to the rocks and filtration system. With white water oxygenation if the water is important as the free floating bacteria consumes a lot of oxygen. If you run a skimmer you should be fine. Water changes will do no good here as free floating bacteria will reproduce faster than you can change the water. Good luck.
Ackbar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ackbar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2012 at 5:17pm
Thanks! yeah, kinda my own fault but hey its all part of the learning process. 
Ackbar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ackbar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2012 at 6:55pm
Man, I hate that I'm asking this question. Does anyone have a good reference for the difference between Coralline and Cyno. I checked out the link Mark has for different types but I'm still having trouble identifying between them

Reference:
Christianwaisath View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Christianwaisath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2012 at 7:16pm
Coraline is hard to the touch.. Usually starts off green if I'm not mistaken. Than turns to a red or pink or purple. I'm my experience cyano is a stringy like deep red plague.. You won't get coraline on your sand. Also just personal experience.    But the cyano will pop up over night not the case with coraline
Ackbar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ackbar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2012 at 7:38pm
Thanks Christian! also thank you skyler that bio clear is helping little by little. Im fairly sure its actually coralline! *whew* I was unable to scrape it off the rocks in the tank and it was not stringy etc. 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic