Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Green hair algea

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
herrera View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote herrera Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Green hair algea
    Posted: April 30 2012 at 2:46pm
I've had a new tank up for 6 months now. My first problem was dealing with a bad Cyano outbreak, that i believe was from adding BioPellets. I took Bio pellets out. and it never got any better, so after a few weeks i gave in and used Chemiclean.  Cleared it up 100% in just a few days. Everything was fine for about 3weeks.
Then I started getting Bad green hair algea. I have reduced light time, replaced pc bulbs. i clean out 90% of the algea once a week, but it seems to be getting worse and worse! should i keep the lights completely off for a week? should i use GFO?
125g Aggressive tank
SWC-Xtreme cone prtein skimmer
40g Sump
------------------------------
16g Innovative Marine Reef
AI led 75W
Ann_A View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ann_A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2012 at 2:51pm
We'll need more information about your tank...

How big is it, do you have a sump, refugium?
What fish/inverts do you have?
CUC?
What do you have for flow?
For lighting?

Basic Parameters...
Ammonia?
Nitrite?
NITRATE?
PHOSPHATE?
Temperature?
Lewy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2012 at 4:30pm
Don't forget:
Ca
Alk
Mg
PH

Edited by Lewy - April 30 2012 at 4:31pm
40 gal w/ 20 sump
Ann_A View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ann_A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2012 at 4:50pm
Originally posted by Lewy Lewy wrote:

Don't forget:
Ca
Alk
Mg
PH

True, but for hair algae and a problem this bad, it sounds like it is more likely to be caused by Nitrates or Phosphates.
Lewy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2012 at 4:58pm
Generally if its a bad outbreak there won't be any nitrates or phosphates because the algae is eating it all up.
40 gal w/ 20 sump
herrera View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote herrera Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2012 at 7:00pm
Originally posted by Ann_A Ann_A wrote:

We'll need more information about your tank...

How big is it, do you have a sump, refugium?
What fish/inverts do you have?
CUC?
What do you have for flow?
For lighting?

Basic Parameters...
Ammonia?
Nitrite?
NITRATE?
PHOSPHATE?
Temperature?
36g
No sump
Picked up 15 snails 10-12 died after 2weeks!
fish are fine.
(black clown, flasher wrasse, royal gramma, green damsel.)
temp 74f
Nitrate-----will check later
ammonia--will check later
Phosphate 1.8
Ca 420
alk 9.6
mag ?
Ann_A View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ann_A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2012 at 7:25pm
Phosphates! Get some phosphate reducing pads or something that you can run in a filter of some kind to get rid of them. Are you using RO water for your top off and water changes?
McClure View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McClure Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2012 at 8:40pm
I would recommend snails. Lots of them. 40ish. 
herrera View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote herrera Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2012 at 8:52pm
ya i got some phosphate  filter pads that i have been running in the hang on filter. no helping much.
also doing weekly water changes. and yes, I'm using RO water however the cartridge has not been changed out. and i've been using for almost 2 years.  not sure if i should by more snails, they're dieing very quickly.
Davidwillis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Davidwillis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2012 at 10:56pm
It seems like I remember high phosphates like that kills snails.  You may need to run some alumina-based resin.  But how did they get that high?  Are you feeding too much?  Can you post a picture?
Lewy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2012 at 11:28am
Do you have any macro algae in the tank? When I ran a HOB filter I set up a light above it with some chaeto and it really helped.
40 gal w/ 20 sump
Ann_A View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ann_A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2012 at 11:52am
All of the above suggestions are great, and I would only like to add to them...

Run chaeto, do water changes, cut back on feeding, and get more snails.

However, until you get the phosphates down, the snails will die off, so until you get them down, don't get snails. If I remember correctly, hermit crabs are fairly hardy and shouldn't be too bothered by those phosphate levels. You also will need to change out the cartridge in your RO unit, and it may be a good idea to test the water with a TDS meter.
herrera View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote herrera Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2012 at 1:16pm
How do i run Chaeto in the hob filter without it flowing over into the tank?
And what about GFO? should i add this?
Ann_A View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ann_A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2012 at 1:34pm
GFO needs to be run in a reactor. You could try using activated carbon. As far as the chaeto goes, there are a few ways you can do it. If you want to create some type of screen over the outflow to keep it in place temporarily, that would work. You could also dedicate a filter solely to the purpose of being a refugium.

I did this a while ago for my nano cube, but I only used what came with the filter and didn't trim the impeller.
http://www.fishlore.com/fishforum/diy-do-yourself/65583-i-made-diy-aquaclear-refugium-pic-heavy.html
Ann_A View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ann_A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2012 at 1:35pm
http://www.thereeftank.com/forums/f97/nano-refugium-158268.html

Edited by Ann_A - May 01 2012 at 1:36pm
BobC63 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobC63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2012 at 1:46pm
Using a small HOB filter as a refugium is a good start

I'd also do ALL of the following:

1) Get a reactor and run GFO and carbon in it. Change it out very frequently the first few weeks (like every 3 days) until your phosphates read zero.

2) Check on your TDS and make sure you don't need to change our your RO filters

3) Pull out as much of the Hair Algae as you can get out. you can even use a scissor to cut some of it off. Try to leave the remaining algae as short as possible. Longer algae develops a bitter taste as a deterrent to getting eaten.

4) After the algae has been trimmed, get a couple of good herbivorious fish like a Foxface and maybe a Tang. Get some more hermits and snails. You could even try a Sea Hare.

If you do all these things you can beat this hair algae for sure.

- My Current Tank: 65g Starfire (sitting empty for 2+ years) -

* Marine & Reef tanks since 1977 *
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2012 at 5:03pm
The only way this is going to work is if you stop trying to do it your way and stick with our advice all the way through.
You have to stick with our advice and see it all the way through.
Big smile
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
Davidwillis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Davidwillis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2012 at 5:09pm
Mark, I just have a couple questions. will the snails live with that high of phosphates?  And don't you think there is a reason why the phosphates are so high?
bstuver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bstuver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2012 at 5:09pm
Woah Mark did you erase your last post? I swear I just gone done reading it lol.
I actually agreed with you for once
Jackie Stuver

"wait these aren't the happy Hawaiians oompa doompa godly heaven on your face zoas?   I dont want them then. lol!" Ksmart
McClure View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McClure Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2012 at 5:10pm
Originally posted by bstuver bstuver wrote:

Woah Mark did you erase your last post? I swear I just gone done reading it lol.
I actually agreed with you for once

Me too!!... Well I guess not the "for once" part... just the "agreed" part.

Edited by McClure - May 01 2012 at 5:12pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
  Share Topic