Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

"A cup a day"

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Jamison View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jamison Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: "A cup a day"
    Posted: March 04 2005 at 10:36am

Calfo has inspired me to encourage my skimmer to start living up to it's potential. I am far from "a cup of coffee dark skimmate every day". My ASM G3 is simply lazy by those standards. Anyone interested in taking this journey with me, or do all of you already get your cup a day? Any ideas you care to share are very welcome. Once I figure it out, I'd be happy to share my experience with the rest of you.

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid =514199

This is my guide. Wish me luck.

Edited by Jamison
Educate. Inspire. Conserve.

http://[email protected]
Jake Pehrson View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jake Pehrson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2005 at 10:41am

Keep in mind that he said a cup a day between skimming and other nutrient exports (i.e. algae).

Jake Pehrson

Murray

coralplanet.com

:)
Jamison View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jamison Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2005 at 10:50am
I do have a decent amount of algae, but my skimmate is quite a bit lighter than coffee and I only empty my collection cup about once every 2-3 weeks. I'm pretty comfortable that there is room for improvement. If anyone is committed to the cause and wants to participate in the great experiment, you are welcome to come by. I will be pretty excited about any improvement at all.

Suzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2005 at 11:31am
Good luck! Keep us posted!
smatney View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smatney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2005 at 12:58pm
Funny, I was up this morning trying to adjust my skimmers.  I get about a cup a week.
Susan Matney
Farmington, UT
Shane H View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shane H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2005 at 2:48pm
jamison,

After reading Calfo's thread on skimmer production, I think one of the simplest method to increase your skimmer production. Suspend the solids longer in hopes they reach your skimmer.
His presentation on closed loop manifolds was inspiring. Why don't we get together and build a couple?

Edited by Shane H
Jamison View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jamison Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2005 at 3:00pm
Absolutely shane. That closed loop manifold was WAY cool. I'm game if you are, though I've admitted more than once that I'm not a real competant DIY'er. It looked fairly simple though.

noob reefer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote noob reefer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2005 at 5:49pm

Sounds like us slackers down south that missed out on the meeting missed a few good tips.  Is there any way that you may be able to share with me either with description or a nice drawing of the idea on this manifold as anyway to get rid of power heads and still have enough water movement sounds like a good plan.

MBX5 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MBX5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2005 at 6:10pm
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/sept2003/short.htm
and
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?
s=&threadid=520145

Joe Barnas
Westminster, CO
jpiotrowski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpiotrowski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2005 at 11:41am

The closed loop is extremely easy.  All my plumping is in the tank so, I was able to do alot of testing to see what worked and what didn't.  I did find out that placing a single 't' with a 90 angle at the end didn't work.  The flow out of the 't' was only a trickle.  I am using a rio 2100 (692gph) and have three 90's before the 90 outlet in 3/4 tubing, which seems to work fine.  I would like a bit more flow though. 

The pressure of my pump wasn't great enough to cause any major leaks.  If anything it would probably on drip if the tubing was slipped in tightly.   So, if you are creating an external system you should mold the pvc together on external connections, but you can allow the pvc in the tank to remain unglued which will allow you to 'tweak' the system and if you're like me that's almost a daily ritual.

John

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpiotrowski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2005 at 12:34pm

I was also concerned about my lack of a cup a day skimate!  I do not run an ozonizer, up to recently didn't feed my tank all that much and have a large sump with tons of little critters.  I also have four cleaner shrimp and lots of hermits and snails.  In fact the snails are reproducing like crazys.  The only real problem I see is that my ph remains lower, so I plan on monitoring the redox potential of the tank with my neptune (I still haven't hooked it up yet).  What should I look for?  What's good, OK and bad?  I am very seriously considering buying an ozonizer, which I hear greatly improves waste removal

Anyway, talking to Anthony afterward, he reiterated that you don't have to run a skimmer to have a good successful tank, but the ozonizer will help clean up your water and keep it clean.

John

Xacttech View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xacttech Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2005 at 1:26pm
Closed loops are simple simple...

I built on this weekend, and one last night wiht a friend...

If you can setup and maintain a Saltwater tank, you can definitely build a
manifold. It took me less than an hour (after I had the supplies) Of
course the first pump I tried wasn't good enough, so I have a new
1536gph pump that arrives today... I'm excited to see how it goes.

There is an obundance of info on RC about the closed loop, anthony's
section. I don't run a simmer so I definitely don't get a cup a day... but I
get close to a cup a day every other week of caulerpa

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpiotrowski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2005 at 2:30pm

Xacttech,

Did you place 't's inline or did you just use 90's.  As stated my 692 gph was adequate with one 90 but didn't create enough backpressure to exit the 't'.  What size pump are you running now?  I would like to add some extra 't's but would have to get a larger pump.  Let us know how the bigger one works.

John

Will Spencer View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Will Spencer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2005 at 11:45pm

I have a theory I've put together about the "cup a day" after talking with Anthony and reading some of the info on his threads on RC.

I never thought of having your overflow water tapped directly to your sump, but Anthony made that sound like a great alternative. 

So, what do you think of this...  If you had an overflow all the way across the tank that drew off the first 32nd or 16th inch of water and flowed that straight out of a drain at the top of the tank instead of falling to the bottom of the tank first, then flowed that water directly into you're skimmer.  This way you could constantly skim that crud that collects at the surface of the water off the top and ALL of that crud would go directly to the skimmer to get skimmed out.

The way most of us have our tanks set up the water flows in from the first 1/4 to 3/4 inch of tank water leaving a lot of crud on the surface.  This water then goes to the sump and "some" of it gets pumped into the skimmer by the pump connected to the skimmer.  The rest of it is either left in the sump and eventually rises to the surface of the sump and stays there, or is pumped back into the tank having never been skimmed.

The idea of routing all of the water to the skimmer seemed to me a fantastic idea as it would ALL be processed.  The drawback I can see here is it might take a very large skimmer to handle all of the water being served to it from a large tank.

This may help get that "Cup a day."

Edited by wsinbad1
FISHMAN Dan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FISHMAN Dan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2005 at 6:11pm

Keep in mind this "cup a day" is relative.

fish load, tank size, feeding rate, other filtration used, presence of ozone... ect

IF by some miracle you could increase the efficiency of your skimmer to a point where you took out all dissolved organics you would simply starve your system to death.

even excessive macro growth can deplete nutrients required by coral growth.

But with most tanks being  overstocked and overfed  i guess that is not an issue

125 reef, grower of hard to find macro algea,(feather giant feather, branching coraline ect...
Suzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 12 2005 at 7:59am
I get close to a cup a day......

I feed close to 2 cups a day!
FISHMAN Dan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FISHMAN Dan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 12 2005 at 7:13pm
uh huh....
125 reef, grower of hard to find macro algea,(feather giant feather, branching coraline ect...
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic