Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Messed Up?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
tfmreefs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tfmreefs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Messed Up?
    Posted: May 03 2012 at 5:11pm
So, I have a six line wrasse that I have had for about a month or so, but every day I go to turn my tank lights on right before I leave to high school (the only reason I turn them on by hand is cause my timer broke) but at night every thing sleeps well, and hides. When I turn the lights on, all my fish come out, but I have never actualy tried watching my fish in the morning cause Im always in a hurry but this morning I noticed my six line wrasse, after I turn on the lights, he kinda comes out and will repeatedly spaz out every 3 seconds. He kinda shoots back a bit and quickly turnes his head left and right very quickly. Its wierd, but 6 hours later when I get home, hes just fine. Hes very healthy, but its making me worrie a bitConfused
"The early bird might get the worm, but only the second mouse gets the cheese."
Weberlaxplayer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Weberlaxplayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2012 at 6:58pm
Eh, im guessing you have just one light over the tank... It helps if you have a night light on, then actinics then the day lights come on... You need this all on a timer..  so usually 3 timers unfortunately... I know they get pricey.. But it helps if it is a constant time every morning and night when the lights turn off/on... You want it to be just like how it is in the real world. It gradually gets brighter and brighter and then dimmer and dimmer... And i doubt you (or most people) have dimmamble lights set up to a timer... That'd be sweet.
tfmreefs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tfmreefs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2012 at 7:50pm
I have three lights currently, but obviously not anything dimmable, but I get what your sayng. Ill see what I can do, Thanks for the reply!Smile
Weberlaxplayer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Weberlaxplayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2012 at 8:16pm
Yeah if you have three lights. Make them come on one at a time and then go off one at a time... This should help your wrasse from freaking out...
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2012 at 4:05pm
I would not immediately assume that sudden light is the reason for this behavior. It could be any number of things, including parasites. Can you briefly describe the tank, it's age, it's filtration and other inhabitants. How was the fish acclimated to the new tank? may we see a pic?

I'd also watch the tank more closely on the weekend. How long does this behavior last?

Another option about lighting is to allow the lights to turn on after sunrise. If the tank is in a room with a window, or even better, if the tank is in a window, the sunlight will wake it up.
Sunlight is awesome and the power it has to make a reef thrive is sometimes overlooked. Some old books and not that long ago keeping a tank near a window was discouraged because of problems with algae growth. Now we know that about 1 algae eating snail per gallon is what keeps algae under control and sunlight grows everything like crazy. A reef tank is healthier with natural sunlight. It even saves money since the lights can be set to come on later in the day.
Big smile
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
tfmreefs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tfmreefs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2012 at 4:15pm
I won t be abled to get a pic for a while, but No parasites i strongly doubt I have any, but my tank (everything in it) is extremely healthy. There is a coral beauty, two clown fish, fire fish, cleaner shrimp, couple corals, snails, hermits, an dof course, the wrasse. I obseverd him today, and it only lasts 15 seconds at the most, but around 10 secconds.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic