Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Refugium/sump shapesThe

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
DLindquist View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DLindquist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2012 at 9:53am
Originally posted by McClure McClure wrote:

Originally posted by cba191 cba191 wrote:

I figure I can always add more pumps later.  I like the fact that they can work in unison if I choose to add another.

I don't think I've ever really looked at a marine aquarium in a home environment.

Ooooo well stop on by! We have several to choose from Wink I know there are also several other members who are always willing to open their homes.

We are all nuts and can and will talk SW to anyone that will listen. You're more than welcome to stop by.

Edited by DLindquist - May 05 2012 at 9:56am
A government strong enough to give you everything you want, is powerful enough to take everything you have.

cba191 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cba191 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2012 at 11:25am
Originally posted by Ann_A Ann_A wrote:

Come on by! I've got a RedSea Max 250 (65 gallons) and an MP10...and as McClure said, I love my Vortech! If you come over you can always play around with it to see what it can do (I spent at
East 4 hours playing with it when I got it )

I think people would want to kill me after the first million questions.  lol

Heck no! We love answering questions and talking saltwater with other hobbyists! I personally love to go on and on explaining things to people, although most of the time they're not hobbyists themselves and just think I'm nuts! [<:o)]

Here's a link to my tank thread if you want to see it and decide if it's worth checking out...

http://utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=53856&PN=1&title=redsea-max-250

And reading about the Red Sea was what got me thinking that, maybe, I could pull this off.  Let me know when is best.  :)
Ann_A View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ann_A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2012 at 12:01pm
Anyime after about 4 in the afternoon...just as long as I have some heads up. PM me when you'd like to come over!
Ann_A View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ann_A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2012 at 12:02pm
Originally posted by McClure McClure wrote:

On a completely unrelated note: Ann, I have been meaning to tell you that I feel like you are wise beyond your years. 

Why thank you! I try not to think of how much knowledge and experience I have, but how much more there still is to gain. Thank you! Embarrassed
cba191 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cba191 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2012 at 12:05pm
Originally posted by Ann_A Ann_A wrote:

Anyime after about 4 in the afternoon...just as long as I have some heads up. PM me when you'd like to come over!
I could do it some time next week.  Just let me know what day works best for you.  
cba191 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cba191 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2012 at 8:58pm
I've changed my proposed design to include a spot for a GFO reactor.  I've been reading that sooner or later, I will be wanting/needing something to help control phosphate levels.  I might as well make room for it now, when it's still easy.
Akira View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Akira Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2012 at 9:39pm
My door is always open to show off and talk salt. I'm not nearly as experienced as others here but my set up is based on their knowledge and insight . My sump is 29.88g and I have a 72g bowfront . Hers a pic of my sump by Elite Aquatics ( Tyler aka Tcfab )
cba191 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cba191 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2012 at 3:01pm

I think that I have my refugium plans all worked out.  In doing more research, I determined that a separate feed to the refugium to bypass the skimmer flow would be more conducive to copepod growth (correct me if I'm wrong).  Therefore, I have the skimmer flowing directly into the return via bubble trap baffles.  I will have some of the overflow diverted to the refugium which will also feed directly into the return.  This will give me less flow in the overflow without affecting the flow to the return.  

Will it work?
Lewy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2012 at 9:28pm
what it looks like to me is you've made a square out of a typical rectangle design. It should work great.
40 gal w/ 20 sump
cba191 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cba191 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2012 at 9:39pm
my only real question is this.  Should I have bubble traps between the refugium and the return?

wickedsnowman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wickedsnowman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2012 at 9:43pm

my only real question is this.  Should I have bubble traps between the refugium and the return?

Definitely.. Skimmers almost always produce micro bubbles and when they make to the display they look like crap. IMO
Lewy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2012 at 9:46pm
It never hurts to have bubble traps.
40 gal w/ 20 sump
wickedsnowman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wickedsnowman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2012 at 9:47pm
Never mind I just reread your design about your skimmer flowing to the return. I still would do a bubble trap anyway.
cba191 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cba191 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2012 at 10:02pm
I just realized that I am going to have issues with placing the heater(s).  This blows.  lol
cba191 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cba191 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2012 at 1:52pm
Before I start building this sump, one question.  Do people recommend that it is easily removable from the stand?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic