Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Refugium/sump shapesThe

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
cba191 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cba191 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Refugium/sump shapesThe
    Posted: May 03 2012 at 11:54pm

Is there a reason they're all rectangular?
I'm looking at a 60g cube.  24x24x24.  That means the stand won't fit the smaller refugiums (they're almost all 24" long).  Would the refugium ever have to be removed after it's installed?  I was thinking about making a square refugium.  

Something like this.
It would be 18-22" on a side and 16 inches tall.  The refugium would be on the front.
How many gallons should it contain for a 60g tank?
Elite-Aquatics View Drop Down
Pet Store
Pet Store

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elite-Aquatics Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2012 at 2:12pm
No they don't have to be rectangle, I have built many square sumps for customers. There's no specific gallon size for sumps, most just fit the biggest they can in their stands.
Premium aquarium filtration!
Ann_A View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Ann_A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2012 at 8:54pm
I completely agree that there really isn't any specific size for a sump, but if you want to go by a guideline, people like to have about 30% of their total volume of water be in the sump so that water changes can be done easily. So... 30% of (60+x)=sump volume (x is the sump volume)...or 70% of T=60 gallons (T being the total system volume)...don't worry I've done the math for you ...assuming you were to have 30% of the total water volume in the sump, the sump would be about 25 gallons.

60 gallon tank + 25 gallon sump = 85 gallons total volume (25/85= ~0.294)

Again, this is totally adjustable, and this formula can be used to size any sumps depending on how much of your total system volume you want to be in the display and how much in the sump.

sump / total volume = desired percent of total volume in sump
Ann_A View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ann_A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2012 at 8:55pm
Also, if you're going to have it custom, have Tyler (Elite Aquatics ^^) make it! I personally haven't had work done (yet) by him, but having seen his work in person and knowing the satisfaction of other people, I would definitely recommend him!
troyholl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote troyholl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2012 at 9:07pm
Originally posted by Ann_A Ann_A wrote:

Also, if you're going to have it custom, have Tyler (Elite Aquatics ^^) make it! I personally haven't had work done (yet) by him, but having seen his work in person and knowing the satisfaction of other people, I would definitely recommend him!

Agreed! I love my sump and skimmer that he built for me... see below...

Troy Hollingsworth
Riverton, Utah

270 Gallon "Custom" Tank
cba191 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cba191 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2012 at 9:26pm

I completely agree that there really isn't any specific size for a sump, but if you want to go by a guideline, people like to have about 30% of their total volume of water be in the sump so that water changes can be done easily. So... 30% of (60+x)=sump volume (x is the sump volume)...or 70% of T=60 gallons (T being the total system volume)...don't worry I've done the math for you ...assuming you were to have 30% of the total water volume in the sump, the sump would be about 25 gallons.

60 gallon tank + 25 gallon sump = 85 gallons total volume (25/85= ~0.294)

Again, this is totally adjustable, and this formula can be used to size any sumps depending on how much of your total system volume you want to be in the display and how much in the sump.

sump / total volume = desired percent of total volume in sump

Is that 30% IN the sump under normal operation?  Or 30% accounting for overflow capacity?
cba191 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cba191 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2012 at 9:28pm

I would absolutely love to have EVERYTHING custom, but my budget plan is already shot.  Cry
McClure View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McClure Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2012 at 10:19pm
Originally posted by cba191 cba191 wrote:

I would absolutely love to have EVERYTHING custom, but my budget plan is already shot.  Cry

Hahahaha!!! We make "fish budgets" then double them. LOL

I do agree that Tyler does great work. We also just had a skimmer built by him for the new tank.

And it does seem to be that the average hobbyist tends to go as big as they can in their stand and/or approx 30% of total volume... *I* however do not follow that rule, we almost always use external (not in stand) sumps that are pretty close in volume to display or larger. Most recently we had a 75 gallon display with a 110 (ish) gallon sump. Our sons 30 gallon display has a 30 gallon sump. We are now moving some stuff around for stingrays so we have moved the big sump to a larger (180g) new tank and are going to use a 55 gallon sump for the 75 tank. I Would LOVE to go bigger but back to the budget.... We WILL be keeping our eyes open though and upgrading when we can.

When we started our LFS in Idaho always taught us that more water volume=more stable parameters.... I have seen people refute that though.
cba191 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cba191 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2012 at 11:06pm
In an apartment, the huge sump thing becomes an issue.  I'm still trying to figure out placement for the QT tank I will need.  lol
McClure View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McClure Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2012 at 11:10pm
Apartments do make it a bit more difficult... we have a fish room so the sumps sit on their own wall and are supposed to have bamboo dividers in front of them to "hide" them.... however we mess with things so often, the dividers are almost always down. 
cba191 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cba191 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2012 at 11:16pm
I want to do it as right as possible the first time around without breaking the bank while keeping the room liveable.

I'm thinking about a 60g cube with a mp10 and an Ai Sol.  Is that enough? Or do I want two mp10s?
McClure View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McClure Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2012 at 11:28pm
I think 1 MP10 with another less expensive type (Koralia maybe) would work fine. (I may not be the majority on this one as either)

2 are super cool if you can afford them because they talk to each other and what not...

This is what I tell my husband ALL the time: "No matter what your question is, just figure out what you want the answer to be before you ask the question, then I can find you at least 5 people who will give you (AND believe) the answer you are looking for. So many people do it so many different ways and there really isn't a right/wrong answer for most things"

I suggest, go look at people's tanks... pick the ones you like and then ask those people how they did it. (you are welcome to come look at our tanks)

Edited by McClure - May 04 2012 at 11:30pm
McClure View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McClure Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2012 at 11:33pm
Ann ^^^ up there, if I recall correctly from reef tour, has a 65 (ish) gallon with 1 MP10 and loves it. 
cba191 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cba191 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2012 at 11:46pm
I figure I can always add more pumps later.  I like the fact that they can work in unison if I choose to add another.

I don't think I've ever really looked at a marine aquarium in a home environment.
McClure View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McClure Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2012 at 11:52pm

I figure I can always add more pumps later.  I like the fact that they can work in unison if I choose to add another.

I don't think I've ever really looked at a marine aquarium in a home environment.

Ooooo well stop on by! We have several to choose from Wink I know there are also several other members who are always willing to open their homes.

Maria: 801-577-1479
cba191 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cba191 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2012 at 12:35am
I think people would want to kill me after the first million questions.  lol
McClure View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McClure Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2012 at 12:36am
Nah.... Most would rather help than have you killing pets!
cba191 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cba191 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2012 at 12:55am
Originally posted by troyholl troyholl wrote:

Agreed! I love my sump and skimmer that he built for me... see below...

I never dreamed I'd be saying this, but that sump is beautiful!
Ann_A View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ann_A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2012 at 9:39am
Come on by! I've got a RedSea Max 250 (65 gallons) and an MP10...and as McClure said, I love my Vortech! If you come over you can always play around with it to see what it can do (I spent at
East 4 hours playing with it when I got it )

I think people would want to kill me after the first million questions.  lol

Heck no! We love answering questions and talking saltwater with other hobbyists! I personally love to go on and on explaining things to people, although most of the time they're not hobbyists themselves and just think I'm nuts! [<:o)]

Here's a link to my tank thread if you want to see it and decide if it's worth checking out...

http://utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=53856&PN=1&title=redsea-max-250
McClure View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McClure Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2012 at 9:45am
On a completely unrelated note: Ann, I have been meaning to tell you that I feel like you are wise beyond your years. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic