Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Anemone Soup - What now?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
CCFMIG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CCFMIG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Anemone Soup - What now?
    Posted: May 04 2012 at 2:59pm
I had a 3" Anemone (RIP) Who was too curious about my Koralia Nano and ended up in microscopic pieces in my tank... Soup if you will. I have removed the 1/2" piece left of him from the power head and done a 50% water change. Is there anything else I need to do or will it be OK?The tank still is a little cloudy and my carbon is fresh as of yesterday.

Tank:
  • 30 Gallon bow front
  • 35 lbs. Live rock
  • 3" sand bed
  • softies misc.
  • 1 clown fish
  • 1 pink spot goby
  •  hermits, snails, sand starfish and a sally lightfoot

Edited by CCFMIG - May 04 2012 at 3:04pm
CCFMIG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CCFMIG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2012 at 3:09pm
BTW when I got home my first thought was "Who poured milk in my tank?" that's how it looked. Immediately did the 50% then removed the power head and unclogged it.  
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2012 at 4:24pm
Sorry for the loss.
You responded correctly to that emergency.
Change the AC after a few days.
The water should clear within 24 hours.
Keep an eye on the look of the coral and the smell of the tank.
If coral don't come back out after a day or two or if the tank doesn't smell like the ocean within 24 hours it could mean that something died and pollution is rising.
Remove any dead animals.
24/7 lighting then becomes one of the best measures, especially if a bunch of Chaeto is added near the lights to eat pollution.

An extended cage of Needlepoint Plastic Canvas is a good solution to keeping anemones out of powerheads.

Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
CCFMIG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CCFMIG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2012 at 4:33pm
Do you mean leave the lights on 24/7?
CCFMIG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CCFMIG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2012 at 4:52pm
Originally posted by Mark Peterson Mark Peterson wrote:

24/7 lighting then becomes one of the best measures, especially if a bunch of Chaeto is added near the lights to eat pollution.

This is why I ask about the lighting. im confused.

Originally posted by Mark Peterson Mark Peterson wrote:

An extended cage of Needlepoint Plastic Canvas is a good solution to keeping anemones out of powerheads.

How would I do this with the Korelia nano's?
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2012 at 5:37pm
When algae is lighted, it grows. Growing algae eats pollution. Pollution is the Ammonia, Nitrite and Nitrate produced by bacteria when things die and decompose. 24/7 means 24 hours a day 7 days a week. Lighting algae 24 hours/day makes is eat an awful lot of pollution. This is a lot easier than doing water changes and actually more effective in most cases.

The AC(activated carbon) is for absorbing stuff/toxins that algae cannot eat.

I don't have a pic of doing this on a "stream pump" like a Koralia. I don't use them. Maybe someone that has done it can post a pic. I use fishing line to sew it together and gel superglue or Gorilla Glue to keep the knots from coming apart. The idea is to make a cage which is 1/2" to 1" away from the original strainer. The increased distance diffuses the strength of the suction which is more powerful the closer it gets to the impeller/propeller.
Big smile
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
CCFMIG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CCFMIG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2012 at 6:27pm
I will do that. seems to be pretty clear now, except my zoas, mushrooms, hammer and frogspawn are ticked off. and my candy canes are closed up and sending out stringy stuff. Seems to be clearing up quickly. i will post some more tomorrow.

Thank you Mark!!! Beer
Cody View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2012 at 6:27pm
I kinda had the same experience and I followed marks advice and things are like they were before.
CCFMIG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CCFMIG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2012 at 6:34pm
Originally posted by Cody Cody wrote:

I kinda had the same experience and I followed marks advice and things are like they were before.

Thank you Cody. Mark is really knowledgeable so i will follow his advise too. Smile
Cody View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2012 at 8:53pm
I did the 24/7 light thing for like 3-4 till I saw algae start growing on the glass and then I cut back a lil at a time until I felt that it was ok the go back to regular schedule. Kept up on the water changes to and checked my parameters daily.
CCFMIG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CCFMIG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2012 at 2:29pm
My tank has cleared up extremely. not a trace of anything and all my other corals are open and doing fine. Thank you all for your help. I am going to keep a watchful eye out for the next week or so. 
CCFMIG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CCFMIG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2012 at 6:30pm
UPDATE: The tank seems to be OK I have spun into another cycle but seems to be clearing. Brown algae bloom but starting to go away already. With the tank still in it's infancy I was worried but all seems well. Thank you guys for keeping me calm, thought I was going to loose some stuff and was a little worried.

So on that note Thank you!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic