Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Night Time Lighting

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Ackbar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ackbar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Night Time Lighting
    Posted: May 05 2012 at 12:01pm
Embarrassed  This may be a stupid question, but I was under the assumption that the "blue" parts of my lights were meant to simulate moon light and have been leaving them on all night (and day). Am I crazy? Would the tank and fishes prefer if I just turned off all the lights at night and it was essentially just blacked out all night? Poor little dude looks a bit stressed after a few days, maybe he is not getting any rest or something. 
Ann_A View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ann_A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2012 at 12:05pm
Looking at pictures of your tank, I think those blues are meant as actinics. Could you post a picture of it at night?

If you're worried, it shouldn't be a problem to turn all the lights off at night. That's pretty much how it is in the ocean, even with the moon, a lot of the time there's hardly any light at all.

Edited by Ann_A - May 05 2012 at 12:07pm
Ackbar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ackbar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2012 at 12:19pm
Hrm, I might try it for a couple days see if he starts acting a little more comfortable. Here is night time, in person its a little more blue in there. Also if it helps, these are the lights. Thanks for the helps! Want to make sure im keeping things as happy as possible.

Ann_A View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ann_A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2012 at 12:31pm
Those look fine to me
Ackbar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ackbar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2012 at 1:08pm
Thanks a bunch! also: your tank is awesome Ann!
Ann_A View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ann_A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2012 at 3:51pm
Originally posted by Ackbar Ackbar wrote:

Thanks a bunch! also: your tank is awesome Ann!

Thank you!
DLindquist View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DLindquist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2012 at 6:56am
I am not so sure. Maybe not too bright- but too much? Either that or you've got an amazing camera as most would barely turn out a picture at night without a fair amount of lighting. I would suggest turning them down if possible- or off if not.
A government strong enough to give you everything you want, is powerful enough to take everything you have.

Jeremyw View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeremyw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2012 at 1:41pm
I agree with Dlindquist. Turn them down a bit and see what the little guy starts to do. When I get stressed out fish I sometimes turn off the lights for a couple days and then they seem to be much better. 
Ann_A View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ann_A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2012 at 2:36pm
Originally posted by DLindquist DLindquist wrote:

I am not so sure. Maybe not too bright- but too much? Either that or you've got an amazing camera as most would barely turn out a picture at night without a fair amount of lighting. I would suggest turning them down if possible- or off if not.

I didn't think about the camera aspect....turn them down or off, just as the others have said...
Ackbar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ackbar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2012 at 2:40pm
I had them all off last night and things seem a but calmer today, I think Ill get a small night light to put in the room and try that out for a few days. If not ill figure out how to get them on a dimmer or something.
ch3tt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ch3tt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2012 at 3:02pm
I have that same tank and in my opinion having both night lights on its a bit too bright for my taste. I have one of them on a seperate timer so they are both on during the day and only one of them stays on at night. My critters seem to like it.
Red Sea Reefer 625 XXL
Ackbar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ackbar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2012 at 4:16pm
Oo thats an awesome idea! thanks. 
Cody View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2012 at 4:55pm
This is how I look at. In the real life the sun and moon arent always out because of clouds and storms. So sometimes I will turn my night lights on and sometimes I will turn them off. Just depends on my mood I guess.
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2012 at 12:09pm
Originally posted by disneymania disneymania wrote:

I agree with Dlindquist.
+2
It appears to me that those are not moonlights. Actinic light or the blue light from those LED's is actually the part of sunlight that filters down to most coral during the daytime. It's actually the most important light they receive. The pics below, by the famous Jacques Cousteau, may help you understand ocean lighting a little better. The coral most hobbyists keep come from depths of 10-60 feet where mostly the blue part of the light spectrum reaches them.
Big smile

Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
Ackbar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ackbar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2012 at 12:48pm
Jacques Cousteau <--- awesome. I ended up getting a small LED night light that shines towards the tank at night and I adjusted the timers to let the Moon Lights on about an hour before and an hour after the day lights. The fish seems quite a bit better but I dont think my few days of No night time was very good for it. There is a little discoloration on its first white stripe and on its right side tail has a little white spot. (dosent look like pinhead dots like I read Ich would) Its been looking a little better each day tho. 
Ackbar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ackbar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2012 at 1:24pm
You can Kinda see the body marking here. (when the fish is facing right) sorry not so easy to film it. Decently clear about 1:50 in. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XuqeQFYafBY

Edited by Ackbar - May 08 2012 at 1:24pm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic