Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Moca clowns anyone?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
WhiteReef View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WhiteReef Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Moca clowns anyone?
    Posted: May 06 2012 at 8:50pm
Well my male black clown and orange female clown finally layed eggs the other day. I did not notice until tonight. I have watched the two cleaning off the back wall where they hange out, but nothing more than that for quite some time (months). Then the last few days I noticed that the male was hanging out in the same corner a lot. I investigated further tonight, and to my delight there was a clutch of eggs all fully developed and ready to hatch tonight. Unfortunately I am no where close to raising them. I took some photos, so here you go.

Here are some photos of the pair when I got them. They have never hosted in anything in my tank other than the top left corner by a power-head.

Nice silvery eggs ready to hatch!!!

Proud dad taking care of the eggs!!!
----------------

Richard

Former 47G Column Reef, Magna
20" x 18" x 31"H
Akira View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Akira Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2012 at 9:23pm
Way too cool ! I have a pair of mochas and love em . 
sabeypets View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sabeypets Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2012 at 9:56pm
Awesome!
Shaun
American Fork
"Would you leave a dead cat in your kitchen till tommorow?" Builderofdreams
backwards32 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backwards32 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2012 at 9:26am
I would love to raise them for you
WhiteReef View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WhiteReef Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2012 at 11:16am
Thanks for the offer to raise them, but obviously the first batch became tank food. Hopefully they lay some more.

I am working on getting a setup going since my wife basically gave me the go ahead last night. Now to see if they lay eggs again.
----------------

Richard

20" x 18" x 31"H

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backwards32 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2012 at 12:31pm
Ok let me know if you have any questions. I have a full hatchery all set up.
WhiteReef View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WhiteReef Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2012 at 1:37pm
I would love to see a picture of it as I am just starting out.

I am starting my roti culture today, and hope to have a dense enough population by the next round. My plan is to use tank water in a 5 gallon bucket using an air pump for circulation. Feeding them algae paste.

For the larvae tank I am using a 2.5 gallon tank with a heater and air pump. From what I understand keeping the temp between 80 and 84 is ideal as closer to 84 helps them grow faster. Along with that I plan on doing a water change daily if not twice a day for the first week. After that every other day until after meta. Also for the larvae tank I am going to cover it with black construction paper. All of this is to see if I can do it and if my wife can handle it.

What do you do for feeding them after rotifers? It seems like everyone uses freshly hatched brine.
----------------

Richard

20" x 18" x 31"H

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backwards32 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2012 at 1:44pm
That is exactly what I do for my rotifers. I used freshly hatched brine shrimp and also finely ground up flake food.
WhiteReef View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WhiteReef Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2012 at 2:06pm
Well I'll have to see how it goes. Thanks!
----------------

Richard

20" x 18" x 31"H
WhiteReef View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WhiteReef Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2012 at 6:48pm
They laid eggs today. I started my rotifer culture on Wednesday, so maybe I'll halve enough to start feeding them when they hatch. How often do you feed your rotifer culture?
----------------

Richard

20" x 18" x 31"H
sabeypets View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sabeypets Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2012 at 12:31am
I feed and harvest at least 30% of rotifers daily. The more you feed denser the culture. The tricky part is learning to feed enough but not over feeding. Keep the water just green enough you can't see the bottom of the bucket. 
I think you will find that 2.5 gals is way to small.
I run my tanks at 80. If the larvae are small I the lights 24 hours a day for a week. Oxygen levels drop with temps in the mid 80s combine that with a small tank full of larvae and rotifers/brine shrimp, 84 is to warm IMO.
Cover the bottom of the tank with white.   

Edited by sabeypets - May 12 2012 at 9:24pm
Shaun
American Fork
sabeypets View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sabeypets Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2012 at 12:37am
Don't forget to cover the heater light with electrical tape
Shaun
American Fork
WhiteReef View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WhiteReef Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2012 at 4:51pm
Shaun, thanks for the advice. I will probably be asking questions periodically as I have read all I can and know that I will have missed something along the way.

As far as a small tank, I will have to see if that turns out to be an issue or not. One thing I did prior to consulting my clownfish book was to paint three of the outside panels of the tank, including the bottom. I painted the sides blue and the bottom yellow. After reading it sounds like painting the tank can cause light to reflect and may adversely affect the larva. Also I am going to wait and see with the first batch how things go. Also I am planning on only using the 2.5 gallon for the first 7-10 days and then I was planning on moving them to a 5 gallon tank. Then once they reach about a month move them one last time into a 10-20 gallon grow out tank (depends on how many survive).

I took a picture of the eggs and counted them, wow 570 eggs! My plan is to do basically what Joyce suggested, which is with the lights out use a bowl and flashlight. Basically insert the bowl about half way in, shine the light into the bowl, and then transfer them once you get enough in the bowl.

----------------

Richard

20" x 18" x 31"H
sabeypets View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sabeypets Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2012 at 9:38pm
I wouldn't move them during meta at 8 to 12 days. I would move to 5 gal tank at 13 to 14 days.
There have been studies done on larvae tank color, and some colors have a negative affect (I think blue was one of them). Black seems to work best. If light reflects off the sides/bottom the larvae will beat them selves up banging into the sides/bottom.
570 is a great start! Good luck! 
Shaun
American Fork
WhiteReef View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WhiteReef Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2012 at 10:52pm
I was thinking after meta, but just had the timing off. Also with the tank color, if it proves to be bad I can just use the 5 gallon and run it with a little less water. Also I was reading that reducing the salinity to 1.0018-20 seems to help in the survival rate through the different phases. The suggestion was to slowly lower it over 2 days.

Right now my concern is that my rotifer culture won't be ready. I am using a used 5 gallon bucket from fire house subs pickles. It is a red bucket, and although I rinsed it out it still has that pickle smell. I went to harvest some and found almost none. It seemed like my feeding from Wednesday was consumed by Friday evening, so maybe it is growing.
----------------

Richard

20" x 18" x 31"H
WhiteReef View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WhiteReef Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2012 at 11:06pm
Well I just checked the alkalinity and it read 8 meg/l which is double what the tank parameters, and the ph is lower than what ican test for. Not sure if I am going to have a viable culture. On another note, when you harvest do you replace water in the culture when you harvest or how often?
----------------

Richard

20" x 18" x 31"H
ptronsp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ptronsp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2012 at 11:09pm
This is really cool to read! I think you will enjoy raising them. I used a 10 gallon tank and I just used black card stock to cover all the sides and a piece of white paper for the bottom...worked like a charm!
Pam

The only clowns I like are in my tank!

WhiteReef View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WhiteReef Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2012 at 11:24am
Well they are going to hatch tonight. My only issue is that I am really sure my rotifers are either dead or not growing much. Either way I will see how it goes. I think to help me out next round I am getting another culture started.
----------------

Richard

20" x 18" x 31"H
WhiteReef View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WhiteReef Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2012 at 10:17pm
I was wrong about the hatch. They still have not hatched yet. Odd that they are so developed and silver looking tonight that I was sure it would be the night, but still nothing. I'll wait and see if these are eclipse babies or not.
----------------

Richard

20" x 18" x 31"H
sabeypets View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sabeypets Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2012 at 11:04pm
They should hatch tonight!
Shaun
American Fork
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic