Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

New 220 Build

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
TSUNAMI View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TSUNAMI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New 220 Build
    Posted: May 07 2012 at 6:14pm
So I'm finally taking the plunge and setting up my new 220. Not much to see yet, but I'll try to keep up on updates, I'm going to try and hit it hard and get it up quick.
5/7/12 I decided to scrap the factory-built wood stand for a custom built-by-me steel one. The main reason was I wanted something a little more opened-up and taller to allow more working space.
This is the factory-built I'm trading

And just started the new one today

Edited by TSUNAMI - May 07 2012 at 6:22pm
135 Reef Vortech mp40w & mp60
40 SPS w Maxspect-Ps & MP10w
220 Build in progress :)
TSUNAMI View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TSUNAMI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2012 at 9:38am
Progress update, stand is built...off to be powder coated

Had to notch the back rails to ensure plenty of working space for return bulkheads. PITB x2

I think it'll hold. LOL And it's surprisingly light, too, about 200#

jdinchak View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jdinchak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2012 at 9:52am
I like the notch!!!
rufessor View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rufessor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2012 at 10:18am
WOW.  Great job with the notching -  I totally agree

PITA x 2 and then some.  

Looks MORE than solid, thats pretty thick stock!

Are you going to have it media blasted prior to powder?  Seems like a good idea and its not really a lot more.  I have tried sanding buffing etc, but a nice media (sand whatever) blast with a high pressure stream gets you a much better finish.

Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler -A.E.
57 Gallon RImless build in progress check the thread before if becomes boring and just full of nice pictures of colorful coral!
TSUNAMI View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TSUNAMI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2012 at 10:31am
Thank you! Yeah I didn't want it to look flimsy! And yes I agree, money well spent to have it blasted. Metal Craft trailers is doing the coating and it's only like $60 extra to sandblast
TSUNAMI View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TSUNAMI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2012 at 12:24am
Just an update, finally got my stand back today. They ended up having to powder coat it twice because the first time they did it upside down! LOL

McClure View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McClure Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2012 at 12:43am
Looks awesome. 
180 Gallon, 75 gallon, 30 gallon, 5 gallon. On a side note: I have just now decided that "Gallon" is a funny looking word.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic