Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Kaiden's 20 long build

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Author
Kaiden32 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kaiden32 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2012 at 9:16pm
Ok. So I did some research and found out about glassholes.com that sells the overflow kits. But I don't want to spend like $50-$60 on a kit. I had some black plastic laying around and aquarium safe silicone so I decided to just make my own overflow box for free :) so I got on glassholes website and found the dimensions for their 300 gph overflow box and make one the same size and shape. Right not the silicone is drying. I am taking my tank up to ReefOn tomorrow evening to get a hole drilled and then I will get the box attached in the tank.
McClure View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McClure Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2012 at 9:19pm
Originally posted by Kaiden32 Kaiden32 wrote:

Would I need one that goes all the way from the bottom of the tank to the top or could I just drill the hole at the top and just make a small box for it that's like 4 inches square?  Like this..

Ours is like that.... with two holes.

Edited by McClure - May 24 2012 at 5:54pm
180 Gallon, 75 gallon, 30 gallon, 5 gallon. On a side note: I have just now decided that "Gallon" is a funny looking word.
Ann_A View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ann_A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2012 at 9:11am
Yes, that would work fine, but personally I would use a herbie type overflow. Practically silent, safe, and can move a ton of water if you need to. In all, it would require 4 holes; 3 overflow and 1 return. I would probably use 3/4" plumbing for all of it, or 1" on the overflows and 3/4" on the return.

Here's the basic idea of how to do it http://www.glassreef.com/basics_overflow.php
Kaiden32 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kaiden32 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2012 at 5:25pm
I'm thinking about getting a Koralia Evolution 750 instead of using my Maxijet 900. Partly because the Maxijet is loud, and also it is just suction cup mounted. I don't trust suction cups..haha. Plus the Koralia looks better, and I really like my Koralia nano. Thoughts?
McClure View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McClure Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2012 at 5:41pm
Originally posted by Ann_A Ann_A wrote:

Yes, that would work fine, but personally I would use a herbie type overflow. Practically silent, safe, and can move a ton of water if you need to. In all, it would require 4 holes; 3 overflow and 1 return. I would probably use 3/4" plumbing for all of it, or 1" on the overflows and 3/4" on the return.

Here's the basic idea of how to do it http://www.glassreef.com/basics_overflow.php

On the outside of the tank??
180 Gallon, 75 gallon, 30 gallon, 5 gallon. On a side note: I have just now decided that "Gallon" is a funny looking word.
Kaiden32 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kaiden32 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2012 at 5:44pm
Would there be too much flow between the Rio 1100 (only like 295 gph with the head height), the Koralia Nano (240 gph) and a Koralia Evolution 750 (750 gph)? That is like 1295 gph in a 20 gal.
Kaiden32 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kaiden32 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2012 at 1:58pm
Ok so I ordered a bunch of stuff from Dr. Foster and Smith yesterday:
Hydor Koralia Evolution 550
5' of 1 inch ID black flexible tubing
5' of 3/4 inch ID black flexible tubing
plastic hose clamps
ball valve for return line
Total it only cost me like $55 and I got free shipping. I'm excited for those things to get here. Also, I got my tank drilled from ReefOn. I also got a 1 inch slip/slip bulkhead. I glued some PVC pipe inside of it, put a 90 degree elbow, and then some more PVC so I can slip my tubing over it. Here is a pic.
Kaiden32 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kaiden32 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2012 at 1:59pm
I'm going to post a pic once I get my overflow box installed.
Kaiden32 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kaiden32 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2012 at 9:07am
Soo.. yesterday I broke my overflow box. Grr. Haha. So im trying a different idea. I am going to take some 4 inch PVC pipe I have in the garage and cut it so it is the same height as my tank. Then I am going to cut it in half so I have a half circle. Then I am going to cut teeth on the top and paint it black. Then I will just silicone it into the tank. Like one of those vertical overflow boxes. It isn't going to take up too much room so it will work great.
Kaiden32 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kaiden32 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2012 at 5:32pm
Ok so my stuff is supposed to be here on the 1st whatever day that is haha. I am finishing the stand on Saturday. Im also helping my grandparents mve their tank onto their new stand so that is going to be a mess.. haha.
Kaiden32 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kaiden32 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2012 at 3:25pm
So all my stuff got here today. Here's what I got:
Hydor Koralia Evolution 550
3/4" flexible tubing
1" flexible tubing
3/4" hose clamps
1" hose clamps
3/4" ball valve (so I can tune the return pump if needed)

I got all my plumbing put together so that is out of the way. All I am waiting on now is just for my stand to be finished (I'm doing it tomorrow!!) and I need to get like 25 gallons of RO water from the aquarium and mix up enough saltwater. I'm getting really excited. I will probably do the transfer on Tuesday if I have time, because I won't be able to get the water until Monday, then it takes 24 hours before I can use the saltwater after I mix it.
Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2012 at 4:02pm
This will turn out great.

Adam
Come to a meeting, they’re fun!
Kaiden32 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kaiden32 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2012 at 4:04pm
I hope so! :)
Kaiden32 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kaiden32 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2012 at 4:17pm
I am also planning to make my overflow box while I am building the stand tomorrow. I am hoping it won't be too big of a pain.

Also, I want to try to make this tank as quiet as possible, so if I put an elbow in the drain bulkhead facing down so no air will get in to the pipe, will it quiet it down? I am thinking it is going to cause it to siphon which can be a problem if your sump can't handle the water that will continue draining until the siphon breaks. But, I did the math and the sump should be able to handle the extra water. Are there better ways to quiet down the overflow? I don't really have room for something like a durso or stockman or hofer or those kinds of things. Will it be quiet enough if I don't put anything special on the hole? Suggestions would be great. My hole is on the back of the tank like 1 1/2" down from the top so I'm pretty limited with what I can do.
Kaiden32 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kaiden32 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2012 at 9:10am
I built my overflow box yesterday and siliconed it into the tank. It looks awesome! I will post pics soon.
Dionysus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dionysus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2012 at 11:10am
Originally posted by Kaiden32 Kaiden32 wrote:

I built my overflow box yesterday and siliconed it into the tank. It looks awesome! I will post pics soon.
It's going to be a sweet tank!
AquaMedic 250 Watt XM 20k
2 420s Vhos
29 DT SPS Dominant
20 G Long Frag

My Tank Progress =)
Kaiden32 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kaiden32 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 05 2012 at 7:50am
We finished up my stand and got it to my house. Im really impressed with how it looks. I am going to the aquarium to get some RO water and then I will get the tank running with all new water and mix the salt in there because I dont want to buy a huge barrel. Then once im ready I will just take some of the water out so there is room for rock and water from the old tank and do the transition.
Kaiden32 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kaiden32 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2012 at 10:49am
So...everything went well until I tried to add the sand. I got all the water in, mixed up, and everything running, and decided to put the sand in. I have the Caribsea Ocean Direct Live sand just in case anyone was wondering. So I put the sand in and...instant whiteout, and tons of thick foam at the surface of the water. Crap. The bag said DO NOT RINSE on it so I didn't. Well I think that was a mistake. So I turned everything off and let it all settle overnight. Then tried siphoning the fine stuff that had settled and I ended up stirring everything up again. So I took all the sand out and put it in a bucket and I am going to pick up some larger grain sand to mix with it and then I am going to rinse the heck out of it. I am waiting for the stuff to settle in the tank and I will siphon it out. But I might end up having to just get all new water and start over..which I hate. But oh well. I have a bunch going on the rest of this week so I probably won't get to do much more with the tank until next week. 
bstuver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bstuver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2012 at 12:37pm
You should have just left the sand with your filtration to take care of it. It would settle in a few days. You don't want to rinse it as that will defeat the purpose of it being live sand.
Jackie Stuver

"wait these aren't the happy Hawaiians oompa doompa godly heaven on your face zoas?   I dont want them then. lol!" Ksmart
Kaiden32 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kaiden32 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2012 at 12:40pm
Yeah i know it will get all the live stuff out but I dobt really carr about that i just want it to not be a dust storm.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
  Share Topic