Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Kaiden's 20 long build

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
Author
Kaiden32 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kaiden32 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2012 at 8:58am
Yeah maybe I will post some more soon pics later today.
Kaiden32 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kaiden32 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2012 at 11:37am
So I need some opinions. I want to get another fish in a couple weeks. But I am trying to decide what kind. It is between a bangaii cardinal, a pajama cardinal, or some kind of goby. But I am open to other suggestions. I want something that isnt just goinf to hide all the time but it doesnt need to have tons of energy. Preferably no really picky eaters.
Kaiden32 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kaiden32 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2012 at 1:44pm
Here are my parameters as of noon 6/15/12 (these are for you and for me so I can keep track of them thats why I put the date haha.

Ammonia: 0
Nitrate: 2-3
PH:7.9
Calcium: 460
KH: 7
Phosphate: .20

I know it is normal for PH to go down over night because of the plants not doing Photosynthesis and the Carbon Dioxide levels going up, and up during the day because the Carbon Dioxide levels go down and all that but is it ok for it to be 7.9 at noon? The photoperiod starts at about 8:00 in the morning so it has only had 4 hours of light by noon. Is that normal? Or should it be closer to 8.2 at this time?
Ann_A View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ann_A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2012 at 3:24pm
Honestly my tank runs between 7.9-8.0 almost constantly. Rarely does it get up to 8.2-8.3. Although if you want to raise the ph a little you could use a buffer that does KH as well. 7 seems slightly low to me. I'm sure it's fine, but I like my tank to run at about 8.5 - 9.5 dKH. You'll find that every tank is different and at some point you shoukd have an idea of whatever works best for your tank.
Kaiden32 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kaiden32 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2012 at 3:29pm
Yeah. It seems like my KH is always a little bit below 8. Maybe sometime I'll try raising it and see what happens.
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2012 at 8:19pm
Yes, pH should be higher than that. It starts rising as soon as light hits the tank and reaches maximum within an hour after full lights.
Is the top of the water open to the atmosphere?
Is there a lid or glass cover on this tank? If so, remove the glass or open the lid
Raising dKH is very simple but I would suggest verifying that level by testing with a second test kit first. This tank is not that old to have had a drop in Alkalinity.
Is the .2 PO4 level in ppm or what?

<Edit>
Just went to the OP and see that this tank is only a month old but has stuff from an older tank. I have more confidence that the Alk number is correct.
Let's get that Alk up now.
Step 1- Into 1 cup of purified water dissolve a tablespoon of Baking soda.
2- Slowly pour 1/4 cup of the liquid into a fast moving area of the water.
3- Tomorrow, test the Alk to see how how much it has increased. If it came up to 8 or 9 dKH, that's good.
4- Save the rest of the solution for next time, otherwise add another 1/4 cup of the solution and test again the next day.

Testing and adding Alkalinity is a very important part of keeping a reef aquarium. pH follows Alk so when the alk is raised, the pH will also be acceptable.

Oh, I almost forgot. Is that 100 watt heater being used in this tank? I would unplug it and remove it ASAP. If it stuck on, which is how they often fail, it could cook the tank in an hour, and you wouldn't notice it until it was too late.
I only use heaters in the winter, set at 75 and would use a 50 W or less rather than a 100 Watt

Edited by Mark Peterson - June 15 2012 at 8:46pm
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
Kaiden32 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kaiden32 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2012 at 8:00am
The tank is open top. Most of the stuff is from a tank that was a little more than a year old.
Just a question..I have a pH buffer so since Alk and pH kind of follow eacother if I use the buffer to raise my pH the correct level will my Alk also raise?
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2012 at 9:55pm
No, Alkalinity cannot follow pH. It only works in the one direction, that when Alk is raised, pH follows.

Trying to adjust pH value using a pH adjusting chemical is a very dangerous thing. I've seen it completely mess up the water chemistry of a reef aquarium. It's best to ignore pH and just focus on Alk and Ca. pH will be good if these two are within range and there is plenty of good water movement, preferably bottom to top movement (not top to bottom) with agitation/rolling water at the surface which has complete access to the atmosphere for "gas exchange".
Big smile
This is rolling water, when the powerhead it pointed vertically, or at least at a sharp diagonal angle at the water surface.

Edited by Mark Peterson - June 16 2012 at 9:58pm
Kaiden32 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kaiden32 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2012 at 7:27am
Ok. Just thought I would check. I will try what you suggested.
I thought my tank had pretty good surface movement but I can post a picture of it if you want. One thing I have read about pH is that sometimes the CO2 levels in a room or a house can be higher than "normal." This can cause more CO2 to be absorbed into your water making the pH go down. I never had a problem with my other tank, but it was in the basement and the new one is upstairs, so the CO2 levels could be higher. Also, I didn't run a skimmer in my other tank, so this tank is getting more air to water contact, which could be making it absorb more CO2 than the other tank. Some people will actually run the air intake for their skimmer to an opening in the house so it can take "normal" air from outside with  lower levels of CO2, and for almost everyone it instantly causes their pH to go to normal levels. Could this be a factor? Just a thought.
Anyways, I will try raising my Alk and see what happens and keep you updated. Thanks for the help so far!
Kaiden32 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kaiden32 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2012 at 8:25am
Oh also, I unpluged the heater and thetemp has stayed fine so far but I am going to keep an eye on it.
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2012 at 10:31am
Yes, the high CO2 levels in a closed up house do have an effect, as you undoubtedly saw in a recent thread. This can be tested by simply opening the doors and windows in the cool evening and watching pH climb.
Big smile
Kaiden32 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kaiden32 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2012 at 10:34am
Yeah I didnt remember if it was on here or somewhere else.
I did the baking soda thing a couple hours ago, will it take a while for the Alk to raise or what? Should I test in a few hours?
Kaiden32 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kaiden32 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2012 at 5:59pm
Ok. pH and KH as of today at 6:00 PM.
pH: 8.2
KH: 9

Thanks Mark. So to keep my Alk up should I just continue to dose the Baking Soda as needed?
Dionysus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dionysus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2012 at 8:02pm
Originally posted by Kaiden32 Kaiden32 wrote:

Ok. pH and KH as of today at 6:00 PM.
pH: 8.2
KH: 9

Thanks Mark. So to keep my Alk up should I just continue to dose the Baking Soda as needed?
Thats all I use for alk. Just be careful alk is easy to overshoot your target number!

Edited by dionysus - June 18 2012 at 8:23pm
AquaMedic 250 Watt XM 20k
2 420s Vhos
29 DT SPS Dominant
20 G Long Frag

My Tank Progress =)
Kaiden32 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kaiden32 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2012 at 12:03pm
Ok, well I just ordered some new ATI bulbs for my setup because right now I just have the crappy bulbs that came with the fixture. I ordered them from Aquacave because I have heard good things about them. Those should be here pretty soon because I payed big money for the "Premium" shipping. :) Mostly because they are easily breakable and because I need them to be here before next Thursday because I am leaving to go to California.
Just a quick update on everything:
Everything still seems pretty happy. I have quite a bit of diatoms on my sand, but it seems like they are starting to go away. My 2 hermit crabs have been busy eating away... My params are in the right zones. If I have time later today I will probably post a FTS on here for you guys to see. You're probably getting sick of me talking all the time and not many pics! :)
Kaiden32 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kaiden32 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2012 at 2:21pm
Ok. Updated FTS
Kaiden32 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kaiden32 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2012 at 2:22pm
Sorry about the reflection.
Kaiden32 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kaiden32 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2012 at 1:14pm
Ok. My new ATI coral plus bulbs got here today! I ordered them from Aquacave.com, and first of all, I am very impressed with the packaging. It took me like 5 minutes to get the bulbs out lol...that package could have probably survived a nuclear explosion...well maybe not, but you get the point. I am really impressed with the color of the bulbs and they make the corals pop a lot more than the old lights. I will post a few pics with my good camera in a few minutes, not just crappy cell phone pics. 
Kaiden32 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kaiden32 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2012 at 1:57pm
Ok, pics as promised with the good camera...lol...lets start out with a few full tank shots.

Acan (the colors really look much better under the new lights)

Blue Candycane

Neon Green Candycane (really neon under these lights...) and some Eagles Eye Zoas

Frogspawn (the tips really pop under the new lights)

Bambams on the right, Green Dragon Eyes on the left (I think thats what they are called anyways...ID please?)

Kaiden32 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kaiden32 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2012 at 2:02pm
Blasto (one of my favorites!! Its sprouting new heads.)

And this frag is for sale! :)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
  Share Topic