Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Kaiden's 20 long build

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
Kaiden32 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kaiden32 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Kaiden's 20 long build
    Posted: May 14 2012 at 5:13pm

Hey guys I am setting up a 20 gallon long reef tank with a 10 gallon sump.
So I am basically just going to be transferring everything from my 12
gallon NC into the new tank. Then I am going to get some more fish and
corals and stuff to fill it in. This tank is going to be drilled.

Equipment List:
Nova Extreme T5HO 2x39 Watt 36"
Eheim Jager 100 watt heater
Rio 1100 (return pump)
Koralia Nano powerhead (like 250 gph I think)
Koralia Evolution 550
Seaclone 100 skimmer

Sump setup:
The water will come in and go through a little box where I am going to have some filter floss and Chemipure Elite, then into the first chamber with the skimmer and heater. Then there is a bubble trap and it will go into the second chamber where there will be some live rock, then the third chamber with the return pump. I don't want to do a refugium because what I have heard is that they can just accumulate tons of junk and cause problems. I am just going to have live rock and make sure it stays cleaned really well.

Fish:
2 Ocellaris Clownfish (already have)
2 green chromis
1Yellow Watchman Goby+Pistol Shrimp pair OR some other kind of goby don't know yet

Corals: (these are the corals I already have, I will be getting more later I just don't know what yet)
LOTS of different kinds of zoanthids (eagle eyes, bambams, mints, and some others I don't know the names of..)
Watermelon Mushrooms
Frogspawn
Hammer Coral
Flower leather
Blastos
Nuclear Green Candycane
Bluish greenish Candycane
Red and Blue Acan
Birdsnest (isn't doing too great but oh well..)
and I'm probably forgetting some, but you get the idea.

Me and my grandpa are building a custom stand out of alder because I don't like the cheap particle board ones. He built me one for my Nano Cube, and we are doing it the same style its just going to be a different shape.

Edited by Kaiden32 - June 01 2012 at 4:08pm
Kaiden32 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kaiden32 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2012 at 5:22pm
Ok. So here is a pic of the nano cube with everything except the Nuclear Green Candycane and the Hammer coral, a pic of the sump, and a pic of the tank with the light on it.
Kaiden32 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kaiden32 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2012 at 5:23pm
Oh also, the light on the nano cube in that pic is a BoostLED PAR30 Lamp, that isn't what the T5s look like haha. :)
Kaiden32 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kaiden32 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2012 at 9:00am
Ok so yesterday I got a skimmer. It is a Seaclone 100. My stand is almost done. I still need to get some more money and order my plumbing and my overflow box. Im getting excited for this to happen!
Ann_A View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ann_A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2012 at 9:06am
Looking good! Thumbs Up
Kaiden32 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kaiden32 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2012 at 9:10am
Thanks. It just just taking forever haha.
Ann_A View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ann_A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2012 at 9:14am
Originally posted by Kaiden32 Kaiden32 wrote:

Thanks. It just just taking forever haha.

Patience is the key in this hobby Wink ...I sometimes rush and I almost always regret it...except when I do something stupid and it ends up working out great (very rare) LOL
Jeremyw View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeremyw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2012 at 9:16am
Wow that nano looks great! Cant wait to see what the new one will look like! 
Kaiden32 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kaiden32 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2012 at 9:26am
Yeah Im working on the patience part of it. Most of the time I do pretty good but I mess up sometimes.

Thanks for the compliment! I think it looks pretty nice too it took a while though.
McClure View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McClure Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2012 at 9:38am
Originally posted by Kaiden32 Kaiden32 wrote:

1 Green Chromis OR a Coral Beauty Angel (Don't have, and I need input on if this will work or not..)

My thoughts on these fish:
Chromis: Cheap and *I* think cute but die off fairly fast and as juveniles prefer to school, so more than one would be ideal.
Coral Beauty: You have a 50/50 shot with this one. They are gorgeous but only *sometimes* reef safe. I would get one from an existing tank rather than LFS then the previous owner will already know the fish habits. Also, even though a dwarf angel, they do still get fairly decent sized. We have one that leaves the coral alone but is currently in our tank instead of our son's tank because it was eating his clam. We have had one in the past that did not leave the coral alone.

Yay for upgrading from 12 to 20!!
Kaiden32 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kaiden32 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2012 at 9:41am
Ok so do you think I would be ok with 2 chromis 2 clownish and some kind of goby?
McClure View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McClure Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2012 at 9:43am
I do. 
Ann_A View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ann_A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2012 at 9:54am
Yea that combination would be fine. I personally prefer less fish and more coral though, and if I do get fish I like them to be rare and less commonly seen in an aquarium. At the moment I really don't have the most "unique" fish but I'm hoping to get some more variety in the coming months.

Looking great though!
Kaiden32 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kaiden32 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2012 at 9:54am
Ok cool thanks!
Kaiden32 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kaiden32 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2012 at 7:04pm
I decided to ditch the overflow box and just drill the tank. I was just going to use an overflow box because I didn't trust myself to do it and I didn't know anywhere that would do it for me, but thanks to Ann_A I found out that I can get it done at ReefOn, for like $15. So that plus the price of the bulkhead is going to be around $20 I think which is WAY better than like $60 for the Eshopps Overflow Box. And I'm not going to have to worry about floods. SO..the question is, do I need to put an internal overflow box in the tank for the hole, or can I just put a strainer on it and leave it out in the open? Which would be better? This is new to me so sorry for all the questions..
McClure View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McClure Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2012 at 8:37pm
Definitely Internal. 
Kaiden32 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kaiden32 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2012 at 9:56pm
Ok sweet just thought id check. Should I just put it up in the corner of the tank?
McClure View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McClure Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2012 at 10:09pm
Our 75 has the overflow centered on the back glass. Our 180 has 2 Corner overflows. I think the 30 is centered as well on the back glass but don't quote me on that. I don't necessarily have a preference, that's how they were purchased. 
Kaiden32 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kaiden32 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2012 at 5:07pm
Would I need one that goes all the way from the bottom of the tank to the top or could I just drill the hole at the top and just make a small box for it that's like 4 inches square?  Like this..
Kaiden32 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kaiden32 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2012 at 5:08pm
Would something like that work?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
  Share Topic