Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tangs

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
bstuver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bstuver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2012 at 5:55pm
It's basically the cube part, they don't have enough swimming space.
Jackie Stuver

"wait these aren't the happy Hawaiians oompa doompa godly heaven on your face zoas?   I dont want them then. lol!" Ksmart
cba191 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cba191 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2012 at 6:01pm
I figured the cube might be too restrictive.  For me, it's a space issue.  I would love a 48" tank, but couldn't fit more than 36".  I've debated going with a 36"x 24"x 24 tank, but that would involve a total custom.  I doubt that would fit the budget.
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2012 at 9:36pm
Well,... I don't mean to be disagreeable, but I have kept Tangs in smaller tanks and have a good friend who had a 5" Naso in a 50 gal cube. It did well for 2 years very happy and active until a large rock crab grabbed it by the snout. Dead
If you would like, I'd be happy to advise you how to do it so everything works out.

Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
bstuver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bstuver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2012 at 9:51pm
I have kept a tang in a sixty cube as well and had no problems, that's why I said I thought he would be fine in the first post I made as they are a smaller growing tang.
Jackie Stuver

"wait these aren't the happy Hawaiians oompa doompa godly heaven on your face zoas?   I dont want them then. lol!" Ksmart
cba191 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cba191 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2012 at 9:51pm
Once I get moved and started on the build, I'm sure I'll be needing a lot of advice.  lol

Ultimately, I want both the fish and myself happy with it.

And I want it shimmery.

Edited by cba191 - May 16 2012 at 9:52pm
rufessor View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rufessor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2012 at 2:38pm
Tangs and tank size is a guaranteed argument most everywhere.  This forum is probably one of the "nicest" places you will find.  Everyone here is trying to be helpful, but I can tell you that if you posted your specific fish load and tank size on just about any of the major reef keeping forums on line- you would be flamed, assassinated, and generally end up being just about tarred and feathered by the "tang police" as they are often termed.  

Your getting a pretty nice calm response from everyone here.  

That said, your very very very far outside of anything close to a recommended tang#/tank size ratio, so far outside of it that you are basically guaranteed to not receive a single post saying that your OK.  If you want to keep the tangs in the tank... well, its your tank, no one is going to stop you but you might as well forget about asking for help or seeking validation because its simply not going to come from people who have experience with these fish.  

Personally, I have a 3 ft long 57 gallon aquarium with a single yellow tang, and I have received at least one comment from an LFS employee that I should not have that fish in the tank... but they regularly stock and sell tang species that grow to about2 ft in length... and they have no problem doing so yet the number of tanks in the state that are capable of housing such an animal are probably less than the number of these animals they sell in a month, every month.  

You can keep the fish, they might even live for a while and grow, but the reason your getting these responses is that its simply not anything close to a viable long term (or really even short term) strategy and your pretty much guaranteed to have infighting, injuries etc.  Tangs as a species have a very thin slime coat- which is why they are typically the first to get and die from ich.  So, if you had ich once and you did not remove all fish from the tank for a few months, and then bring them in one at a time through a quarantine tank for another month or two to observe them... you still have ich- so when your tangs get injured from fighting, hitting stuff, whatever, they will get ich again.  

Hope this gives yet more perspective on why everyone says ... no.

Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler -A.E.
57 Gallon RImless build in progress check the thread before if becomes boring and just full of nice pictures of colorful coral!
DLindquist View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DLindquist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2012 at 4:47pm
Originally posted by Mark Peterson Mark Peterson wrote:

Well,... I don't mean to be disagreeable, but I have kept Tangs in smaller tanks and have a good friend who had a 5" Naso in a 50 gal cube. It did well for 2 years very happy and active until a large rock crab grabbed it by the snout. Dead
If you would like, I'd be happy to advise you how to do it so everything works out.

Or just ask weberlaxplayer. His group of tangs were very happy in his small tank also. I think they may have even told him that!
Sure, people keep tangs in small tanks all the time and they all sing Kumbaya together. And people butt in line at the supermarket because somehow their time is more valuable then yours. Yada yada. Still doesn't make it okay. There are many many beautiful small fish. I have nine of them in our 265G display tank and one beautiful 6" Male Blond Naso Tang. You'll get opinions on both side of the fence. However, I would suggest any "pet" in general, that will outgrow your living accommodations should never be brought home in the first place.
A government strong enough to give you everything you want, is powerful enough to take everything you have.

cba191 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cba191 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2012 at 4:57pm
That's why the only tangs I've even looked at are the smaller Ctenochaetus tangs
grassfairy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grassfairy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2012 at 5:02pm
There was a guy who kept 3 tangs in a red sea 130, they looked ok and fat. they were 5 inches, hows that for small tank for tangs. He kept them for 2 years, they were small at the begining but really?
cba191 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cba191 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2012 at 5:22pm
If I was looking at a 30g, a tang wouldn't even be a consideration.  If I'm not able to get one, I'll be fine with it.  My #1 fish is hopefully going to be a marine betta.  :)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic