Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tangs

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Weberlaxplayer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Weberlaxplayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tangs
    Posted: May 14 2012 at 6:16pm
Ok, so a couple months ago i posted about an ick outbreak and thought it was because my tangs were fighting.... I have 1 yellow tang, 1 scopas tang, and 1 tomini tang... The yellow and the scopas battle it out constantly and will get frayed fins.... I have heard the rule of keeping odd number of tangs so the picking order falls into place.... But i have 2 zebramosa genus or what ever (yellow and scopas) i was told to put the zebramosa in an odd number, so i added another tang today.. A sailfin tang, roughly the same size as the others. But they yellow and scopas are fighting with it... To where it is starting to fray its fins....I then heard that they do this just for a little while just to let the fish know who is boss.... I need to know asap if i need to take the sailfin out and take him back to the LFS or what? Thanks
Dion Richins View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dion Richins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2012 at 6:19pm
Did you use an aclimator box???????? What size is the tank????
Bad "censored" Cabinets
Best quality in the valley! He is one sexy bald guy, even with out a finger!(MAC)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Weberlaxplayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2012 at 6:22pm
75... I did not never even heard of that.. He has onl been in their two hours.. The tank is 75 gallons. I know thats a lot of tangs for a 75, but they are all still small and then i would give them up...
I can throw him in the sump if needs be...
DLindquist View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DLindquist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2012 at 6:51pm
Are you the same person that posted about this problem awhile back?
Your tank is too small for three or four tangs. Buying fish you know will soon out grow your tank is not the best way to go about this. If you can live without them then, live without them now. Adding more tangs will not correct your compatibility problem. Odd number- even number- total BS. Where did you hear that? Acclimation boxes are great ideas- if and when the hobbyist makes appropriate choices when adding new fish.
A government strong enough to give you everything you want, is powerful enough to take everything you have.

sabeypets View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sabeypets Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2012 at 6:56pm
I'm not sure why your even posting this again you was told two months ago adding another tang would make the fighting worse did you forget all ready?
Shaun
American Fork
"Would you leave a dead cat in your kitchen till tommorow?" Builderofdreams
BillyC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BillyC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2012 at 9:39pm
I agree with the above two posts. I hate to say this man but your best course of action right now is to get rid of all of your tangs. If you MUST keep tangs then I would say keep the Tomini along with the scopas. Your intentions of giving them away when they grow too big are good but realistically the tangs will just die from stress long before they even outgrow it. I can't even tell you how many times people say that their 6 tangs in a 65g all get along and they're happy. Just because the fish aren't bashing their heads on the glass and constantly fighting, doesn't mean they are all "happy and balanced." I would fully research any fish before you buy one for not only the sake of the fish but for your wallet's sake too. Just my advice. IME people usually ignore advice when they are told they're tank is too small for certain fish.
McClure View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McClure Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2012 at 10:14pm
I agree with everything said and have nothing more to add except that the previous posters are not the minority on this one.

Wasn't it you that also just added a shark?

Edited by McClure - May 14 2012 at 10:15pm
sabeypets View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sabeypets Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2012 at 12:26am
Originally posted by McClure McClure wrote:

Wasn't it you that also just added a shark?
yes it was
Shaun
American Fork
"Would you leave a dead cat in your kitchen till tommorow?" Builderofdreams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Weberlaxplayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2012 at 10:21am
I got the shark, and sold it to a friend. Took all thr tangs out with the exception of the tomini. No bashing... Just the other day someone stated they had 25 fish in a 60. I had 11 now 9 in a 75. I dont have a ton of lr plenty of swimming space as well as hiding places. yeah my tangs fought enough to get their fins occasionally to have a small rip. Nothing major. I just worried. My tank did have an outbreak of ick, but it was because my test kit was faulty. All params are normal and constant. I wouldnt let my fish get to big for my tank, id sell them first. thanks for your help...
Dion Richins View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dion Richins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2012 at 10:40am
Josh....I'm not here to be an ass or offend you or any one else. I'm only trying to spread a little of the knowledge that I have gained from my short time in the hobby.

What kind of test kit do you have for ick? I for one want one!!!
You do know that ick is a parasite that hosts on the fish. WE all have it in our tanks. However it only rears its head when we have poor conditions and stressed fish. A grundle of tangs in a 75 will cause stress like no other.

9 fish in a 75 isn't the issue. Its the choices of fish in the system that are an issue. I have 7 in my 38 and heaven only knows how many in my 220. Its all about planning and choices. ANY tang that had nipped fins is under to much stress. Planning, research and control of your impulsive buying will go a long way in maintaining a awesome Marine environment. Or you will have nothing but problems and cause the death of many animals.
Bad "censored" Cabinets
Best quality in the valley! He is one sexy bald guy, even with out a finger!(MAC)
McClure View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McClure Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2012 at 10:40am
Oh no!! I didn't feel like myself or anyone else was bashing. Sorry if you felt that way.

More so, I think people were trying to help with responsible reefkeeping so your pets did not suffer. So glad the shark has a new home. Is he eating now?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Weberlaxplayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2012 at 4:17pm
Yeah he was eating, my friend wanted one. Sorry I didnt mean for it to sound like you werr being mean, I know where you are all commin from... Sorry I meant my nitrate teat kit. Registered I had 0ppm. Then took it to the lfs and it registered at 100 ppm and their maxes out at 100 ppm so it could of been higher. I bought a new test kit and I now never have more than 5ppm.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Weberlaxplayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2012 at 4:19pm
And yes I know what ick is.
Tanuki View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tanuki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2012 at 10:04am
Ich isn't tested by kits was the point they were making.  Tangs like live rock and hiding spots too. 

I know this is a different forum, but this is a great thread that maybe we could add to this site as well.  You should post your ideas there so that the veteran members can help you with compatibility before you spend your hard earned money on a potential disaster.

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2068112 

and here is a great resource for tang info:
http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1946007 

Edited by Tanuki - May 16 2012 at 10:04am
Defending Reefscape Champion (I Think)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Weberlaxplayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2012 at 2:57pm
I know you cant test for ich, I meant nitrates which caused my ich out break
Tanuki View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tanuki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2012 at 5:31pm
I am not a scientist, but I don't think that nitrates can cause Ich.  A fish living in poor water that gets Ich will have less of a chance of surviving the Ich though because it is already weak from the poor conditions.  So do Nitrates help the spread of Ich? Yes, but that would be just because the fish is weakened by poor water.  Nitrates won't create Ich. 
Defending Reefscape Champion (I Think)
cba191 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cba191 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2012 at 5:36pm
On the subject of Tangs.  I am looking at getting a 60g cube, but don't want fish that will outgrow it.  Will one of these need more space fully grown?

bstuver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bstuver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2012 at 5:50pm
Originally posted by cba191 cba191 wrote:

On the subject of Tangs.  I am looking at getting a 60g cube, but don't want fish that will outgrow it.  Will one of these need more space fully grown?

I think you would be ok it is one of the smaller growing tangs.
Jackie Stuver

"wait these aren't the happy Hawaiians oompa doompa godly heaven on your face zoas?   I dont want them then. lol!" Ksmart
DLindquist View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DLindquist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2012 at 5:52pm
Almost any full size tang will out grow a 60G- especially a 60 cube. Bristletooths included.
A government strong enough to give you everything you want, is powerful enough to take everything you have.

cba191 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cba191 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2012 at 5:54pm
That's what I'm afraid of.  I've been thinking of a 93g cube as well, but with lighting there is a huge jump in expense.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic