Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Nails12 Tank

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Nails12 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nails12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Nails12 Tank
    Posted: May 18 2012 at 2:12pm

The story of my madness....

Last august my girlfriend went to hawaii, while she was there she watched a T.V. show; "Tanked." When she got home she immideatly showed me this cool new tv show. I became instantly hooked on the fish and the tanks... It was only a week after i soon realized i wanted to start this hobby. I did my research bought fish book after fish book. "Saltwater aquariums for dummies." and others... I then decided with going to school and work i couldnt afford a big aquarium.. :( I thought i would try a 10 gallon! Now i look back and think i was crazy... I used crush coral and plastic plants and lace rock... Thumbs Down obviously i didnt read enough. I was so excited i put water in and set up everything, including a HOB filter. And let it cycle for a week, i couldnt wait anymore. I had to get some fish!!! So i did; 3 yellow tail damsels!!! Joe, bob and bill. I then went and bought a t5 fixture so i could put coral in there... My first coral was a mushroom that was striped. I then got a Lawnmower blenny his name is John! After John Deere Lawnmowers...(My girlfriend has an imagination.)
I kept this tank going and didnt lose any fish to my surprise for two months. I then knew i needed a bigger tank to supply my hobby. I looked all over the internet and finally on KSL i had found a 75 gallon freshwater tank with PC lighting and sump for 300... I was there, battling my way to get onto Hill Air Force Base.. The tank was full of cichlids and luckily i knew someone who wanted some.
I took it home with 100 pounds of black sand and 100 pounds of lace rock.. This lace rock was killer... I then found out that lace rock can leak some trace elements. I sold the rock and the sand i soon found that i would go with aragonite crushed coral and LR. But first i had to clean this tank. Luckily i had my experience cleaning dirty things... I had worked at a carwash for several years...
This is what i got my hands on!

Old Style Overflow..
I actually bagged this idea and went with an overflow box... I couldnt find one :( so then i decided to make my own.... I bought 1/2" acrylic and cut slits in the top and then bent it home with a blow torch. I then glued it in place and siliconed the edges and filled it with bioballs to be my wet dry filter...

Thats what a good sanding and scrubbin will do!!!
I then painted it and it came out beautiful... I triple coated the inside where the sump would lay.
Live rock added!

I then Added some corals as well as my first fish after my tank cycled...
Equipment!
Of course the 75 gallon Glass Aquarium
Stand
Custom Canopy
DIY LED light Fixtures
Eshopps 20 Gallon Sump
Eshopps Skimmer
48 Watt UV steralizer
PUMP???
Spinstream Return
2 Power heads??
T5 Lighting Over Sump
75 lbs of LR
75 lbs of LS

Stocking Time!!
Fish!
1 Lawnmower Blenny
2 Bangaii Cardinals (JUVI)
1 Orange Occelerus
1 Black Occelerus Clown
1 Sailfin Tang
1 Melenarus Wrasse
1 Coral Beauty...
   The coral beauty was tricky. From the get go, i wanted a reef tank with out a doubt, I also wanted an angel either a flame or a coral beauty. I finally decided i would try a coral beauty but i would first try it in my hospital/quarentine tank. I placed it in their with numerous corals that wouldnt upset me if they did get eaten. After a few weeks in their, all the corals were all still happy and none of them were nipped on. So i decided i would throw him in the big tank. As of 6 months no nipping... Yet. :)

Inverts!
30 Hermits
2 Turbos
6 Assarius Snails
1 Sandsifting Starfish
1 Orange Linkia
2 Feather Dusters
1 Halloween Crab
1 Ultra Maxima Clam
1 Decorator Arrow Crab
1 Cleaner Shrimp
    I am debating on whether or not i want another cleaner shrimp. So possibly two in the near future.

CORAL!
Throught out the six months i have been in this hobby. I have been interested in coral. My first coral was a pinstriped mushroom. My second coral i wanted it to be something awesome! So i bought a dendro... Last month it got stung by something and began receding. I thought i just lost a 40$ coral. But i was told to always leave LPS in the tank for some time after they die because most of them come back. And two weeks ago i saw 6 heads sprouting, this week there are more than 10! Recently i have been on a Chalice, Monti, and zoo kick... I have about 50 different types of coral. I want 104! Who knows if that will happen, i am already running out of real estate. Here is what i have.
Toadstool
Favia
Pokerstar Monti
Rainbow Monti
Nuclear Green Candy Cane
Lobo Brain
Large Maze Brain
Frogspawn
Leng Si Monti
Unknown Pink Chalice (WILL ASK YOU GUYS TO ID SOON)
Unknown Purple Chalice " "
Pink Monti
LAX Scroll
Green Candy Cane
Green Centered Striped Candy Cane
Green and Purple Hammer
Dendro
Lepestrea
Pumpkin Spice Chalice
Pumpkin Patch Chalice
Ultra Lord Rainbow Acan
Bubble Gum Chalice
Star Polyps
Small Star Polyps
Meng's Pinkalicous Chalice
Unknown Green and pink Chalice
Small Polyps
Button Polyps
Green and Purple Duncans
Radioactive Dragon Eyes zoo
Eagle Eye zoos
Whammin Watermelon Zoos?
Tarzan Zoos???
Ultimate Pink Zoos
Sunny D Paly's
Meteor Shower
GSP
Green and White Hammer
Purple Monti
Sunset Monti
War Coral
Xenia
Purple Acro
Green Ricordea
Orange and Green Ricordea
Green Rhodactis Mushroom
Red Monti
I also have a Rainbow Tip Anenome about the size of a quarter in there, not moving around luckily.

Also thinking of buying a 29 gallon cube for my girlfriend. So she can put stuff in her tank.

Thanks for looking
This is more than a hobby; its a lifestyle.
grassfairy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grassfairy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2012 at 11:14am
Looking good! Would like to see a full tank shot. What leds did you get? Show us more. 6 months and keeping sps? Thats pretty cool. I couldnt keep sps alive for more than 1 month. Turns out our test kits were bad.
Nails12 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nails12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2012 at 4:31pm
Yeah i will load one up i thought i had one... hmm. . . I bought DIY LED's trying to think of the website... They work amazingly i love them. Yeah i tried monti's at about 4 months and they worked fine and grew like crazy, then  i tried a birdsnest. And a dumb turbo knocked it down behind some rocks, but it was doing good. I had a pink lemonade acro, but it got stung :(. So far im loving it.
This is more than a hobby; its a lifestyle.
BillyC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BillyC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2012 at 6:12pm
Wow looks great man! I'd also like to see a fully tank shot with all the coral in it.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic