Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Dionysus Tank Progression Shots Added

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 12>
Author
BillyC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BillyC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2012 at 12:27am
Seems like you know about the vinegar dosing already but IMHO it will not be an instant cure for your brown sps. That could be caused by a number of things like the coral itself, flow, lighting, etc. My guess is that its probably cause by phosphates. What kind of LED lighting do you have. Many of the more budget LED fixtures seem to be made poorly and SPS don't do well under them. If yours is a proven fixture then I would look into phosphates. Have you tried using a phosphate remover like Phosguard or GFO? Also what kinds of sps are these and where are you getting them from? Lastly, what are you doing already to limit phosphates (water changes, feeding habits, etc.?)

IME, brown sps corals can take FOREVER to color back up. I had some browned out corals from my tank move like 2 months ago that are still slowly coloring up. 
Dionysus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dionysus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2012 at 12:47am
I have the led fixture from RocknReef. Im doing five gallon water changes once a week. For flow for my tank I have 3 500 gph, 1 700 and a 95 gph power heads. The only phosphate removing media is chemipure elite and Seachem sea gel. Sps list is Rose Milli, Garf Bonsai, Ora Redplanet, Birds of paradise, Ora green birds nest, Purple Birdsnest, Nuke green Hydrophora, Purple Tip Acro, Red Digi, Green Slimer, Teal Acro, Green Branching Monti Blueberry something, And im sure im missing some. For feeding I feed every other day. I rotate between pellets and mysis. For the mysis I rinse really well before feeding. Ive been looking into running GFO on my tank and Im in the process of looking into a reactor. I also only Top off with Ro water.

AquaMedic 250 Watt XM 20k
2 420s Vhos
29 DT SPS Dominant
20 G Long Frag

My Tank Progress =)
Dionysus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dionysus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 03 2012 at 3:58pm
Just a little update, since starting dosing my tank is now about 95 percent algae free. The rest of the algae is dying off.
2 420s Vhos
29 DT SPS Dominant
20 G Long Frag

My Tank Progress =)
BillyC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BillyC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2012 at 8:24am
Any more shots of your sps? I'm curious as to how they're doing under the LEDs.
Dionysus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dionysus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2012 at 11:29am
Originally posted by BillyC BillyC wrote:

Any more shots of your sps? I'm curious as to how they're doing under the LEDs.
My Sps is slowly coloring up so ill get picks once they look a little better. I was talking to Rusty and he said you had a G3 skimmer on your tank. How did it work? Was it to big to pull stuff out?
2 420s Vhos
29 DT SPS Dominant
20 G Long Frag

My Tank Progress =)
BillyC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BillyC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2012 at 11:45am
The ASM G3 was awesome and pulled out tons of gunk especially after doing the mesh mod on the pump's impeller. If you're not familiar with mesh mods, its inserting a mesh piece into your skimmer pump wheel so that it breaks up the air into SUPER fine bubbles resulting in more skimmate. Only reason I got rid of it was because I upgraded skimmers. You should see the monster skimmer I have now. To answer your question, there's no such thing as a skimmer "too big" for an sps tank in my opinion, especially if you are carbon dosing.  

Here's my old ASM g3 in action...
Dionysus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dionysus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2012 at 11:59am
I have the mini g on my tank and its working great. I might just have to mesh mod it and see if there is any improvement. Does the mod shorten the life of the pump? What skimmer are you running now, and on how much volume?
2 420s Vhos
29 DT SPS Dominant
20 G Long Frag

My Tank Progress =)
BillyC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote BillyC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2012 at 12:27pm
I would definitely recommend the mesh mod. I'd be happy to help you. I have some extra Enkemat which is the best and recommended mash for the job. And the mod shouldn't shorten any pump's life because there isn't supposed to be any friction if you do it right.

I'm currently running the Reef Octupus Extreme 300 skimmer. It runs on 2 Sicce PSK2500 pumps that are incredible. Its rated for 425g on a normal bioload and I think i have 125g of total water volume.
Dionysus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dionysus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2012 at 1:12pm
That would be awesome if you could help me out. Will have to work a time out. I would love to see your tank sometime!
2 420s Vhos
29 DT SPS Dominant
20 G Long Frag

My Tank Progress =)
Dionysus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dionysus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2012 at 1:59pm
My new addition that Ive wanted since I first set up my tank.
2 420s Vhos
29 DT SPS Dominant
20 G Long Frag

My Tank Progress =)
kody72 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kody72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2012 at 2:17pm
That is a beast of a skimmer billy
KODY72 FISHROOM BUILD
281g DT
187g Rimless Frag
ATI PM lighting
SRO DSCR-300ext
Kaiden32 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kaiden32 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2012 at 2:42pm
That zoanthid is sick!!
Dionysus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dionysus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2012 at 11:02pm
Originally posted by Kaiden32 Kaiden32 wrote:

That zoanthid is sick!!

Thanks man, it looks great under my leds.
2 420s Vhos
29 DT SPS Dominant
20 G Long Frag

My Tank Progress =)
BillyC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BillyC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 13 2012 at 2:54am
Originally posted by dionysus dionysus wrote:

That would be awesome if you could help me out. Will have to work a time out. I would love to see your tank sometime!

Just Pm me whenever man. Nice space monster btw. One of my favs.

Originally posted by kody72 kody72 wrote:

That is a beast of a skimmer billy

Lol you would know man, it used to be yours!

Edited by BillyC - July 13 2012 at 2:55am
Dionysus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dionysus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 13 2012 at 11:39pm
Pm sent Billy. But back on are sps color topic. Do you think it's low nutrients? Maybe a fish a Two would help?
2 420s Vhos
29 DT SPS Dominant
20 G Long Frag

My Tank Progress =)
Kaiden32 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kaiden32 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2012 at 10:14am
Personally, I think you would have a very hard yime having too low nutrients for SPS.
Quickness View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Quickness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2012 at 11:13am
Looks good man.   Been doing a bunch of research by the sounds of things.
Molon Labe
Si vis pacem, para bellum
Dionysus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dionysus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2012 at 11:42am
Originally posted by Kaiden32 Kaiden32 wrote:

Personally, I think you would have a very hard yime having too low nutrients for SPS.
I only think that it might be nutrients because every nice sps tanks that I see are heavily stocked. And there Sps are all colored up.
2 420s Vhos
29 DT SPS Dominant
20 G Long Frag

My Tank Progress =)
Dionysus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dionysus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2012 at 2:19pm

Edited by dionysus - July 14 2012 at 2:37pm
2 420s Vhos
29 DT SPS Dominant
20 G Long Frag

My Tank Progress =)
Dionysus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dionysus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2012 at 2:36pm

Edited by dionysus - July 14 2012 at 2:36pm
2 420s Vhos
29 DT SPS Dominant
20 G Long Frag

My Tank Progress =)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 12>
  Share Topic