Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

postol Shrimps

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
tfmreefs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tfmreefs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: postol Shrimps
    Posted: May 22 2012 at 7:54pm
So, i think that its the pistol shrimp, but i dont get why when ever someone talks about their fish burrowing, they bring up their little shrimp? What is so good about the realationship between the little goby or whatever fish and the shrimp? Do they benifit eachother? is there a specific type of fish that goes with it? Why do they do better with eachother?????
"The early bird might get the worm, but only the second mouse gets the cheese."
chuckfu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chuckfu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2012 at 8:00pm
It's just amazing to see mother nature work..... I love my pair. Probably the coolest fish I've got : )
tfmreefs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tfmreefs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2012 at 8:08pm
Originally posted by chuckfu chuckfu wrote:

It's just amazing to see mother nature work..... I love my pair. Probably the coolest fish I've got : )

What kind of fish lives with it?
rize2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rize2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2012 at 8:19pm
Different types of gobies do. Yellow watchman goby is the cheapest kind. I had a Randals goby with mine. I think my favorite is a Yasha goby.
wickedsnowman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wickedsnowman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2012 at 8:28pm
The goby protects the shrimp in nature. People just do it in tanks cause it super cool to see.
tfmreefs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tfmreefs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2012 at 8:52pm
Oh, that is cool. whenever i see them i never think much of it, but thats cool. I just see them in or around the hole.
chuckfu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chuckfu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2012 at 9:06pm
Search youtube and you'll find tons of cool videos. Plus read up on the popping sound the pistol shrimp makes. It produces more heat than the sun.
rufessor View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rufessor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2012 at 8:23am
Careful with goby selection, some of them actually get pretty dang big.  Cheap is not always your best choice depending on your tank size.  

Edited by rufessor - May 23 2012 at 8:24am
Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler -A.E.
57 Gallon RImless build in progress check the thread before if becomes boring and just full of nice pictures of colorful coral!
tfmreefs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tfmreefs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2012 at 10:56am
Originally posted by chuckfu chuckfu wrote:

Search youtube and you'll find tons of cool videos. Plus read up on the popping sound the pistol shrimp makes. It produces more heat than the sun.

Freaking Awsome! That wont hurt the other fish, right?
1stupidpunk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1stupidpunk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2012 at 1:33pm
I cant seem to find where i read it, im sure if was in a magazine, but most pistol shrimp have extremely poor vision. They form a symbiotic relationship with many species of goby type fish. The fish benefits because the shrimp digs a series of tunnels in which the fish can live/hide. The shrimp benefits as the goby will sit in the entrance to the tunnel and warm the shrimp of danger. I've witnessed my pair exploring a few inches out of thier tunnel, the fish will keep his tail on the shrimps antenna and when he sees danger he smacks it with his tail and then WOOOSH back into the tunnel! Pretty cool to watch.
tfmreefs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tfmreefs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2012 at 1:40pm
LOL Thats Awsome
reefnfeef View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reefnfeef Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2012 at 3:41pm
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XC6I8iPiHT8
aaaaaaaaaaaaaannd.... I'm broke
rufessor View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rufessor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2012 at 3:48pm
Yeah... people come over look at the tank, then see the shrimp and the goby and get stuck watching the shrimp bulldoze (watch OUT they can move literally a TON of gravel) for a very very long time.  I too love them, if someone was to ask what is the coolest thing to put in an aquarium (not a coral) its these two HANDS DOWN no contest, no way you will regret it.  But... they will compete with Jawfish etc and other burrowing things so if you have a big tank you might be able to house both, in a small tank probably not.
Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler -A.E.
57 Gallon RImless build in progress check the thread before if becomes boring and just full of nice pictures of colorful coral!
relgycandy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote relgycandy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2013 at 1:21am
It's just amazing to see mother nature work.

relgycandy
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic