Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Rookie

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
dayday24 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dayday24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rookie
    Posted: May 23 2012 at 12:13am
I'm new to the sw world, and super excited about the new hobby. Ive been doing tons of research, but would love feedback on a first set up. For the most part I've been looking at all in ones, is that the way to go? I'm looking to do mostly fish and lps.
Teknik777 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Teknik777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2012 at 12:31am
First off welcome! All in one systems are a great way to start this hobby and give you time to learn the basics! Post the setups and size you are looking at and feedback and personal experiences will start to come.
220 G SPS Display.

dayday24 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dayday24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2012 at 12:55am
Thanks! I am looking between 24g - 34g. I have found a 34 solana and an rsm 34 that I'm interested in, as well as a jbj 24. Haven't heard too much about solana tanks as a whole. Anyone have good or bad experiences, upgrades necessary, opinions? I believe it is all stock w/ the "lamp" looking 150w mh.
BillyC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BillyC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2012 at 1:17am
Here's my input man based on from what I've seen when people get in the hobby. You are more than likely going to want to upgrade very very quickly. People that start off with small nano cubes IME realize that they run out of space too fast and that they are very limited to what fish they can keep. Especially since your main focus is fish, I'd consider going as larger if your home permits it. A larger tank gives you options for amazing fish that should never be kept in a small nano. All-in-one tanks are awesome but can I ask your reasons for choosing that route?
dayday24 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dayday24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2012 at 1:29am
Thanks for the input. I initially took that route w/ my reaserch because it seemed like the most effective way to make sure I enjoyed the hobby. At this point I don't see that being a problem as I am basically obsessed:) I also want a cost effective way to get started. I don't want to set myself up for failure, but I don't want to break the bank on the first try either. As for fish I was planning to start w/ nano appropriate, clowns, goby, blennies, ect. Just as excited if not more so about coral options. So I think lighting is a big priority in tank choice. I am definitely not opposed to going larger, but initially put off due to not knowing where to start, cost, ect.
BillyC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BillyC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2012 at 1:37am
Just so you know, the are plenty of setups that I see here on the classifieds all the time where someone wants to sell a full running reef tank for $200-$600. That's everything included. If you're already obsessed then I can almost guarantee that once you realized how much more obsessed you're going to get, you will be wishing you had saved your money and started with a larger tank from the start ;). Where are you located? I suggest going to visit different sized reef tanks, asking questions, and exploring your options. Trust me... almost anyone, including myself, would love to have you over to show off their setups and talk salt.
dayday24 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dayday24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2012 at 1:55am
Awesome, I'd love to check out different setups and see multiple possibilities. I am in Utah county. My main concern was lack of knowledge when it comes to all the hardware needed to get started with a bigger build. Super eager to learn, but can't afford to eat cost on too many mistakes. You have me pretty convinced though. Have to start somewhere, right?
builderofdreams View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote builderofdreams Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2012 at 8:48am
I live in Spanish Fork and your more than welcome to come take a look.
Pm me or text.
It's Not a Hobby It's an Obsession
150&210 Gallons of Madness and. Sanity! 801-850-4915

http://www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=65135&title=builderofdreams-feedback-post
dayday24 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dayday24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2012 at 8:58am
Great, thanks for the offer. What setup are you running now?
Jeremyw View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeremyw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2012 at 9:31am
Welcome to the addiction... I mean hobby. you are more than welcome to come take a look at my tank as well, im in PG. 
Ann_A View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ann_A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2012 at 9:52am
Welcome! I say go on the larger side of the scale. I started out with a 28 gallon nano cube and wanted to upgrade after only a few months. After a year I went to the setup that I run now, which is a 65 gallon RedSea Max. If I could do it again, I wouldn't have started with a nano cube, and I wouldn't have gotten a RedSea Max. I would have just started with maybe a 90 gallon or 120 gallon and pieced the system together instead of going the AIO way.

As I always say, anyone is always welcome to come check out my tank! I'm up in Kaysville though, so it's a bit of a drive for you. There are plenty of us up here though so if you do come up you could try to schedule it with people and visit multiple tanks in one day. I know most, if not all hobbyists here, are open to people visiting their tanks.

Anyways, welcome to the hobby!
builderofdreams View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote builderofdreams Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2012 at 10:34am
Originally posted by dayday24 dayday24 wrote:

Great, thanks for the offer. What setup are you running now?
I have multiple setups, 150 Gallon, 55 gallon,and also an 28 gallon.
I just like everyone else want upgrade to a larger tank. Somewhere along the lines of a 500glln.
Maybe next year.Thumbs Up
Anyway Welcome.
It's Not a Hobby It's an Obsession
150&210 Gallons of Madness and. Sanity! 801-850-4915

http://www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=65135&title=builderofdreams-feedback-post
bstuver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bstuver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2012 at 11:52am
As someone who has gone up and down in tank sizes, I am back to a 24g. Nanocube and love it. I love the all in ones! To me sometimes larger tanks can get intimidating fast. But it is true lots of people upgrade pretty fast. Any choice would be good.
I am in Provo and you are more than welcome to check out my tank as well.
Jackie Stuver

"wait these aren't the happy Hawaiians oompa doompa godly heaven on your face zoas?   I dont want them then. lol!" Ksmart
Akira View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Akira Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2012 at 8:19pm
Hi and welcome ! I dont know much about all in 1's but small isnt bad but might get more for ur money going medium to start. I was kind of scared of starting with a 72g bow(now I need more room after 6-7 months). But i was patient and bought all my equipment used . Best part about going that route is most of my equipment will be going into my next size which will probably be 125-150 g. Add a few new upgrades and im off without a huge new investment. Patience is key as all say , well it took me a lil over 2 months to get all the goodies and it was worth the wait. You are welcome to check mine out Im in Sandy . GL and have fun on this great adventure !!!
rwgoose View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rwgoose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2012 at 8:51pm
welcom man!! i am in the same boat, totally new to salt, but i must agree.. bigger is better!!! i just bought a 90 gallon and FINALLY  i am up and cycling with lots of help from this forum!! Akira, McClure, and builderofdreams are all very knowledgable and willing to help in any way they can!! i dont know much, but if since your in the utah county area you can come by and see a starter as well!!!
getting fishy??
dayday24 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dayday24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2012 at 11:26pm
Thanks all for the welcome! I appreciate all of the input, and I am sure I will have a million questions to come. I look forward to checking out your setups! I decided to pull the trigger on a 34g solana today. I will expand in the future, but currently I think this will be the best fit and a great way to kick off this on-going project! I am moving next week, so in the meantime I will be trying to track down ls, and lr so i can start cycling as soon as we make the move. Right out of the gate, if anyone has suggestions/required upgrades for the solana I'd love to hear em. Thanks again!
McClure View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McClure Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2012 at 11:53pm
+1 with BillyC....

I don't know one single thing about the Solana however, we have a lot of running tanks in the house if you would like to take a look and ask a bunch of questions.
180 Gallon, 75 gallon, 30 gallon, 5 gallon. On a side note: I have just now decided that "Gallon" is a funny looking word.
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2012 at 3:58pm

Originally posted by dayday24 dayday24 wrote:

I am moving next week, so in the meantime I will be trying to track down ls, and lr so i can start cycling as soon as we make the move.
There is no need to wait for the old, outdated "cycle" method to have a great reef tank. Look below at the WMAS Reefkeeping Tips on how to do it. You will find it very helpful to read that entire thread.
Enjoy the ride.
Big smile
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
dayday24 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dayday24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2012 at 5:23pm
Thanks Mark. Checking that out now.
CapnMorgan View Drop Down
The Capn'

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CapnMorgan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2012 at 7:11pm

As has been said by so many of our great members, welcome! We're glad to have you. If there is anything you need help with don't hesitate to ask, we're here to help!

Steve
My Old 180G Mixed Reef
Currently:
120G Wavefront Mixed
29G Seahorse & Softies
Running ReefAngel Plus x2
435-8
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic