Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Riddle me this

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
hydro phoenix View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hydro phoenix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Riddle me this
    Posted: May 25 2012 at 7:17am
Ok, here's the situation from the start. After 2 months of having my baby gramma she stopped eating. Then Ich started so I pulled her into the qt tank for 3 weeks treating with warmer water, copper and hypo salinity.If that's not the right word let me tell you that I dropped the salinity level down to 1.018 I left her in there for 3 weeks and the ich went away. During that time my bicolor blenny jumped out of the tank and is no longer waiting for her to return to the tank. Now the gramma has been put back in the tank(now all alone) and she has got the ich back. She's scratching on the sandbed and rocks all over again. What do I do?
recent absurdity..Unicorns have rabies
BillyC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BillyC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2012 at 7:25am
I'm sorry to say that 3 weeks is not enough time in quarantine to get rid if ich. 6 weeks is more like it. If you have any other fish in your main tank then ich will stay there. Also, if you decide to do hyposalinity as an ich treatment, 1.018 is not low enough. Aim for 1.011-1.012 next time. Both copper and hypo are not necessary, only one will do IMO.
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hydro phoenix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2012 at 8:00am
Thanks!
Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2012 at 9:03am
Copper works amazingly well. I think one week of copper would do it. The problem is you'll still have copper in the main tank. So when the fish goes back it happens again.
The problem we all face.

Adam
Come to a meeting, they’re fun!
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2012 at 2:10pm
It's no riddle to me.
I'd be happy to help.
Just give the word.
Big smile
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
Trevor40 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trevor40 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2012 at 2:18pm
True that what Billy said. I would just do the hypo and make sure you have a refractometer to get it spot on as the hydrometer isn't good enough. From what I have read, the ich can lay eggs in the rock and be waiting to hatch and jump all over fish. Ive read that a solid three months with no fish could be necessary if the ich gets really bad in order to kill it off in the tank. Even them your only 99% sure it will be gone. Again, these are things I have read. 
Call or Text (801)834-3119
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hydro phoenix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2012 at 2:29pm
All right Mark, what is it that I'm missing?
DLindquist View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DLindquist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2012 at 8:35pm
Originally posted by hydro phoenix hydro phoenix wrote:

All right Mark, what is it that I'm missing?

Garlic
A government strong enough to give you everything you want, is powerful enough to take everything you have.

Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hydro phoenix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2012 at 9:00pm
Already have Garlic
wickedsnowman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wickedsnowman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2012 at 9:01pm
Different garlic
wickedsnowman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wickedsnowman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2012 at 9:02pm
Oh and a stick to beat them with

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DLindquist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2012 at 9:42pm
While I realize your frustrations- I am LMAO.
A government strong enough to give you everything you want, is powerful enough to take everything you have.

Fatman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2012 at 11:47pm
+1
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hydro phoenix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2012 at 7:02am
sometimes I look at my tank and think "why can't you just tell me what your problem is!" then I realize it doesn't matter it's just here to mock me anyways.
BillyC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BillyC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2012 at 7:15am
And don't forget tons of Macroalgae in your display tank =P
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2012 at 8:29pm
Aloha Faith,
While I'm grateful for the humorous references above, there really is an answer to this perplexing situation. Sometimes it's not easy to find, but it's there.
If you don't mind I'd like to ask some questions and to see a pic of the tank.
Let's start with the pic and a description of the tank, along with a brief description of the maintenance routine.
Mahalo,
Mark
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hydro phoenix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2012 at 9:06pm
I struggle with getting photo's on so I'm just gonna describe the tank and answer your questions. I'll work on getting the photo up though.

Maintenance of the tank happens once every 2 weeks sometimes 3. Just a simple water change with vacuuming, I'd say 12% water.  I put additives in twice a week, mon+thursday. feed every other day corals and fish. Is there something specific you're looking for? The garlic is in the food. I melt the cubes put the garlic in it then re-freeze and break small pieces off to feed the fish.  
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2012 at 11:10pm
Okay, that's a good start. I can address three items right here:
I'm sorry if you didn't know this, but vacuuming is not so good for a reef aquarium. This is especially harmful if it's being done every two weeks. I suggest not vacuuming anymore and cut water changes back to 10% monthly. Okay, that's 2 parts of the total solution. We can talk later about a better way to keep the cleanliness you want.
The third item is Garlic. I've counseled people a lot on the use of Garlic Oil. When they follow my advice, it works every time, but not the same way for every tank. What specific Garlic Products have you tried in this refreezing manner?

Please email the pics to me at [email protected]. If its okay with you, I'll post them here.

What are the Alk and Ca of this tank?
Also, can you test for pH at 5-6AM and give us the number?

Hang in there. I'm very confident that we can resolve this situation. Big smile

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DLindquist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2012 at 7:02am
Vacuuming the sand bed is not the best idea and I would also advise against it. Stirring the top layer in small increments is okay. While the lot of us can make many helpful recommendations (Mark included), garlic is not a cure-all and does not and has not worked every time. 

Davidwillis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Davidwillis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2012 at 8:14am
Originally posted by hydro phoenix hydro phoenix wrote:

Ok, here's the situation from the start. After 2 months of having my baby gramma she stopped eating. Then Ich started so I pulled her into the qt tank for 3 weeks treating with warmer water, copper and hypo salinity.If that's not the right word let me tell you that I dropped the salinity level down to 1.018 I left her in there for 3 weeks and the ich went away. During that time my bicolor blenny jumped out of the tank and is no longer waiting for her to return to the tank. Now the gramma has been put back in the tank(now all alone) and she has got the ich back. She's scratching on the sandbed and rocks all over again. What do I do?

It is really important that you do your research before you start treating fish.  If you just randomly start doing things it will not work, and you can kill fish.  First of all, 1.018 is not nearly low enough to kill ich (it may kill some, and be less stressful for the fish, and that is why it appeared to go away).  Secondly you 3 weeks is not long enough.  Third, don't do hyposalinity and copper treatment together.

here is how to do hyposalinity treatment correctly (if you choose to go that route).
http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums/fish-diseases-treatments/23131-hyposalinity-treatment-process.html
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic