Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Black branching sun coral

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
napalm77 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote napalm77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Black branching sun coral
    Posted: May 30 2012 at 11:44pm
Hey so I saw a picture of one of these online, and so I bought one. Jw if anybody has any experience with them? I plan on feeding the 2-3 times a day, as soon as I get my rock rescaped, itll be in a place of high flow. Any other tips? This is a terrible picture, but its about softball size. Ill keep updating with pictures and we will see how it goes. Wish me luck! :)

McClure View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McClure Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2012 at 12:13am
Ooooooo 
180 Gallon, 75 gallon, 30 gallon, 5 gallon. On a side note: I have just now decided that "Gallon" is a funny looking word.
Akira View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Akira Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2012 at 12:21am
I really like the look of them but have no experience with them. cant wait to learn from you . Seen it before but wasnt so sure I could keep it , keep us posted and gl cant wait !!!
napalm77 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote napalm77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2012 at 12:26am
I really wanted a black coral and I pretty much freaked out when I saw this. We bought it on a whim and I didnt really do research beforehand, I know, not smart. But I figured it couldnt be much different from feeding my fungia and my duncans. I guess they are extremely sensative compared to the regular sun corals, which are already sensative lol.  Im excited for this too. It should be fun, like a new pet! :)  Im planning on posting updated pictures next week, I've read they take a few days to open up after being moved, and they have to know you will feed them.  YAY! lol

ReefdUp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReefdUp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2012 at 4:35am
They are beautiful, but unfortunatelyseveral experts still consider them impossible to keep. Like you said, they are more sensitive than their suncoral counterparts. I hope you also have a good filtration system as feeding non photosynthetic corals regularly can foul a tank quickly.
www.reefdup.com
Diving since 2009, reefkeeping since 2007, & fishkeeping since 1987
200g, 75g, & 15g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
DLindquist View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DLindquist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2012 at 6:20am
I love my Black (looks deep forest green with all the polyps out) Sun Coral. I acquired it a couple of years ago- for free. However, it did required being brought back from the dead. Non photosynthetic- no light required. Good flow. Keep it out of the sand to avoid irritating the coral tissue. Feeding two-three times a day would be great for the coral, but your tank may not like it. I used to feed mine daily, then three-four times a week. Now, when ever I get around to feeding my fish. Work is extremely busy and I'm lucky to even see the tank anymore! I will try and post a picture when I get home tonight.
A government strong enough to give you everything you want, is powerful enough to take everything you have.

napalm77 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote napalm77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2012 at 6:33am
I would love to see someone elses! I do have good filtration, a monster skimmer, sock, macro. But I plan on putting the coral in a container to block flow during feeding times (floating container to keep temp but not have any flow) then I'll dispose of the food water so I dont anger the tank. Pulling it out into a container is one of the tips I read online about it.

Rara View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rara Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2012 at 8:35am
I've had a pink branching sun coral for about 8 months now.  I fragged it for one or two people, so it would be interesting to see if their pieces are still alive.  I have four other dendros and a regular sun coral.  I only feed the tank once a day.  I usually feed the larger dendro heads an additional 1-2 times a week.  
Tanuki View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tanuki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2012 at 9:43am
My pink ones from RARA and Dlindquist are both alive still.  I dose the tank, but I never target feed. Also I have flat worms, so they have taken out a few of the polyps. 
Defending Reefscape Champion (I Think)
napalm77 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote napalm77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2012 at 10:29pm
Flesh is starting to appear closer to the tips! Im hoping itll open up tomorrow night!

Akira View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Akira Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2012 at 10:49pm
Please post pics when it does really want to see it.......then frag of it  from you lol

Studboyt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Studboyt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2012 at 8:08am
Here is a pic of the one I had. I tried for about 4 weeks to train it like I did my Dendros. It would never come out to eat other than at night. I gave it to some one that has a specific tank for this kind of coral. They are very difficult to keep and if tissue is receding already, you have a big problem. 
napalm77 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote napalm77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2012 at 7:59pm
The tissue was receded from shipping. Its now workings its way out, so I am hopefull. I know its going to be tricky to train and take care of this coral, but I'm a home body so I can devote more time to this. The picture is awsome though, its good to see someone had it working for them for a bit lol.

napalm77 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote napalm77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2012 at 10:00pm
OMG so.... about an hour or so ago, i posted the comment above. Well I didnt feel like taking the coral out of the water to feed it. So I took a cube of frozen food (its dinner time anyways so dont judge) held it in my grabber things and held it above the sun coral letting the food touch the tips. I was pretty much just annoying it and it sucked in further. About 30 minutes later, I looked back at the coral and little green fingers were popping out all over the smaller heads and the mouths were appearing and opening on the larger heads. SO EXCITING!!!!!!!!!  Its hard to tell because cell phone pictures are crappy, but hopefully you can see a difference between the 2 pictures. This is awsome!

McClure View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McClure Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2012 at 10:07pm
We don't take target feeders out of water. We cut a juice bottle or 2 liter bottle (depending on coral size) several inches from the top, then set that over the coral we are feeding.... then drop the food into the spout.

Edited to say: I think two days to see that amount of tissue is awesome for something so sensitive that was shipped.

Edited by McClure - June 01 2012 at 10:08pm
180 Gallon, 75 gallon, 30 gallon, 5 gallon. On a side note: I have just now decided that "Gallon" is a funny looking word.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DLindquist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2012 at 12:11am
Do not remove the coral from the water to feed.
An easy trick to feeding is to add a small amount of food directly to the water column. Wait 10 minutes. If the corals polyps still aren't open, lightly spray the coral directly and wait another 10. At that point load a turkey baster with a variety of food and spray the coral. I always feed my sun corals (and any others) during they day. At this point, my Sun Corals and Dendros are open most of the day. Pictures to come later today!
A government strong enough to give you everything you want, is powerful enough to take everything you have.

Soehl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Soehl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2012 at 11:57am
I put a couple drips of garlic extreme in my water and my orange opens up...  Then I just feed my tank with a multi DIY food.  I spot feed once in a while but not a lot.  I put my orange in a shaded area that is hard to reach with any kind of spot feeder so it just gets what it gets.  I think the garlic is key to train it.
Cory
180 Gallon Mixed Reef
Radion Pro LED
75 Gallon Elite Sump/Refugium
napalm77 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote napalm77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2012 at 3:46pm
last night a head opened up and was eating, good sign!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DLindquist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2012 at 8:33pm
Originally posted by DLindquist DLindquist wrote:

I love my Black (looks deep forest green with all the polyps out) Sun Coral. I acquired it a couple of years ago- for free. However, it did required being brought back from the dead. Non photosynthetic- no light required. Good flow. Keep it out of the sand to avoid irritating the coral tissue. Feeding two-three times a day would be great for the coral, but your tank may not like it. I used to feed mine daily, then three-four times a week. Now, when ever I get around to feeding my fish. Work is extremely busy and I'm lucky to even see the tank anymore! I will try and post a picture when I get home tonight.

Horrible picture. By the time I get home lately, the MH's are already off.

BillyC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BillyC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2012 at 8:51pm
How's this Dave? I took the liberty of editing just a LITTLE cause I was curious about colors. Hope it's cool.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic