Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Banggai Cardinalfish

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
McClure View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McClure Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Banggai Cardinalfish
    Posted: June 03 2012 at 5:07pm
Well, we decided very shortly into the hobby that we wanted to breed these guys but were never actually ready.

A month or two ago we bought a "bonded" pair that had never actually mated, and had seen no courtship activity. A couple of weeks ago we added a third very large single cardinalfish with still no success although with his/her size we didn't expect to either. Last week we added what was advertised as a proven breeding pair and then removed the large one to a  different tank as she was getting beat up.

NOW.... the proven breeding pair seems to have mated with the other pair meaning that they are courting the counterpart instead of each other.... all 4 are doing the dance. Each member of the proven pair with one of the non-proven pair.

We are very excited to see how this turns out since it looks like adding the breeding pair may have netted us two breeding pairs.
180 Gallon, 75 gallon, 30 gallon, 5 gallon. On a side note: I have just now decided that "Gallon" is a funny looking word.
troyholl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote troyholl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2012 at 5:09pm
Cool!!! 
Troy Hollingsworth
Riverton, Utah

270 Gallon "Custom" Tank
bstuver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bstuver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2012 at 5:20pm
Awesome good luck!
Jackie Stuver

"wait these aren't the happy Hawaiians oompa doompa godly heaven on your face zoas?   I dont want them then. lol!" Ksmart
napalm77 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote napalm77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2012 at 6:03pm

sweet sounds like allot of benghai lovin!

napalm77 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote napalm77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2012 at 6:04pm
Originally posted by napalm77 napalm77 wrote:

sweet sounds like allot of benggai lovin!

McClure View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McClure Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2012 at 6:22pm
Clap
180 Gallon, 75 gallon, 30 gallon, 5 gallon. On a side note: I have just now decided that "Gallon" is a funny looking word.
Nails12 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nails12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2012 at 11:57am
Where did you get the breeding pair of bangaii's??
This is more than a hobby; its a lifestyle.
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2012 at 12:14pm
Awesome.
At some point there may be a need to separate the two pairs. Watch closely. Catching Bangaii is easy. There is a Tip about it below.
Big smile

Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
McClure View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McClure Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2012 at 12:23pm
Originally posted by Nails12 Nails12 wrote:

Where did you get the breeding pair of bangaii's??

Aquarium Masters in Ogden listed them on KSL while I was out of town so a friend from here who knew I had been looking reserved them for me.

This place (the forum) is amazing.... three (3) people text me that weekend to tell me they were on KSL.

Mark, yes they are very easy to catch and they are intentionally in a tank with a very open rockscape. We also have a 20 gallon and 29 gallon ready and empty for when they need to be separated or when babies come.

Edited to say: By empty I mean no other fish and no coral. They DO have water, equipment, etc.

Edited by McClure - June 04 2012 at 12:26pm
Nails12 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nails12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2012 at 5:19pm
Ha sweet! Thats where i thought you got them! I actually sold them to you guys there. . . Good to hear they are doing amazing!!!
This is more than a hobby; its a lifestyle.
08TRDOFFROAD View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 08TRDOFFROAD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2013 at 1:25pm
I have thought about trying to breed these as well. I will be following to see what type of success you have!
sabeypets View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sabeypets Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2013 at 6:45pm
She sold them.
Shaun
American Fork
"Would you leave a dead cat in your kitchen till tommorow?" Builderofdreams
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic