Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Copperband Butterfly

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
1stupidpunk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1stupidpunk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Copperband Butterfly
    Posted: June 05 2012 at 7:11am
I was having a really bad outbreak of Aiptasia in my tank and i tried alot of different methods to remove. I started with using lemon juice or boiling water to kill them, then i went out and bought some aiptasia-X. This seemed to work ok for the larger ones that i could squirt in time, but didnt really seem to put much of a dent in their population.

So then i tried adding a few peppermint shrimps, they seemed to munch on the smaller baby anemones but didnt do much for the larger ones. And slowly they kept dissapearing one by one. I added a few more, only to realize my skunk cleaners (huge ones) were cannibals and killing all the peppermints.

I gave up on the peppermints and bought an Aiptasia Eating Filefish. He for some reason didnt acclimate well to my tank and died the next day (poor lil fella) but im convinced he would have helped. I went to a bunch of LFS and nobody seemed to have anymore filefish, so on the recommendation of many i added a copperband. (I did make sure to watch them feed him at the LFS and ensure he looked healthy, wish i had done this with the filefish).

After adding him to my tank, much to the disapproval of my yellow tang (he/she is a bit of a diva) sure enough the aiptasia has vanished! Its funny because I watched him really carefully making sure he wasnt munching on my corals and i never really saw him pecking at the big aiptasia. He is constantly pecking the the rock/sand at something small enough that i didnt notice what it was. Long story short the little bugger has cleaned all the aiptasia from my tank and now im debating either swapping a bunch of rock out from my biocube or just putting the copperband in there (its a bit small for him i know, but a few days wont hurt him much will it?)
tfmreefs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tfmreefs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 05 2012 at 11:06am
Hey what are you feeding yours?  watched mine at lfs eat, but i tried feeding him frozen shrimp, just like they did an he still wont eat it, he kinda follows it and when he gets close he just goes away. ANd yes, mine does pick at little things on the ground tat for some reason i dont see it...
"The early bird might get the worm, but only the second mouse gets the cheese."
naminam22 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote naminam22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 05 2012 at 11:31am

I have some aiptaisa in my tank. Maybe I can "rent" (if you want him back) or buy him from you. Please let me know.

1stupidpunk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1stupidpunk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 05 2012 at 12:51pm
Originally posted by naminam22 naminam22 wrote:

I have some aiptaisa in my tank. Maybe I can "rent" (if you want him back) or buy him from you. Please let me know.

Hes only been in my tank for about 3 weeks, and i think hes cleared out most of my aiptasia, but i think im going to move some rock from my biocube in there to let him clean that up, and then i may consider selling or "renting" him.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic