Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Flood!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Shayne View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shayne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Flood!
    Posted: June 05 2012 at 11:10am
I woke up this morning to find that my tank had overflowed and dumped about 5 gallons of water on my carpet. I'm still not exactly sure what happened but I think a snail got into my durso. I thought that all of my snails were too small to block it but I suppose one of my larger astrea could have done it. (I knew I should have gotten a snail guard! I just forgot.)

Anyway, I'm having a really fun morning trying to clean this mess up. I got a carpet cleaner vacuum to suck up the water I can get to. I also have some fans blowing across the carpet. I even have a space heater propped up on some boxes and blowing up at the ceiling in my basement to help dry out the floor from the underside.

Here is my concern, do I need to worry about the wet carpet that's under my stand? I'm really worried that it will mold or rot. Do any of you have any tricks for getting carpet dried out when it's under a stand with a large sump in it? Should I drain my tank and move it?

This carpet is in my living room where I spend most of my time. I really can't have it stinking up or anything.

Thanks in advance for any advice. I'm kind of freaking out.
21G Reefer Nano
Tanuki View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tanuki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 05 2012 at 11:13am
I have had a few floods myself.  I think if the tank is big enough, it puts enough weight on the carpet to keep it from getting really bad.  About the most you can do is what you are doing and just keep fans on it.  If you can move the tank, that is always the best idea, but honestly I think you will probably be ok. 
Defending Reefscape Champion (I Think)
Shayne View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shayne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 05 2012 at 11:29am
Moving it would be a nightmare but I guess I'd do it if I had to. If it came down to moving it now to save the carpet vs moving it later and also having to replace the carpet, I'd do it now.

Edit: Turns out it was one of my astrea. I just found the little bugger in my sump.

Edited by Shayne - June 05 2012 at 11:30am
21G Reefer Nano
Shayne View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shayne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 05 2012 at 11:35am
Does anyone know where to buy a snail guard for a durso or have a link to some instructions for how to DIY one?
21G Reefer Nano
BobC63 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobC63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 05 2012 at 12:00pm
I'd just take a small piece of window screening and a rubber band and cover your durso intake that way for now...
- My Current Tank: 65g Starfire (sitting empty for 2+ years) -

* Marine & Reef tanks since 1977 *
Hogie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hogie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 05 2012 at 12:03pm
Make sure you dry under the carpet. The mold is prevalent in the pad and the carpet mat. Even though the surface feels dry, there's still moisture trapped underneath the surface. It's best if you can put up the carpet where it's wet to blow the air under it to dry it out. Obviously you can't pull it up where the tank is, but if you can pull it up around the stand and circulate air around it, it'll go along in drying out where the stand is.   

Edited by Hogie - June 05 2012 at 12:04pm
Shayne View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shayne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 05 2012 at 12:51pm
I can't pull the carpet up. I'd have to move a bunch of furniture and I'd have to pull up about 10 ft of carpet to get to where the spill is.

I am running a space heater in the basement. I have it on top of a bunch of boxes and blowing at the basement ceiling (floor where the spill is).
21G Reefer Nano
Tanuki View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tanuki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 05 2012 at 1:04pm
If you keep air on it and vent the room you should be fine.  I wouldn't pull up the carpet.  I would rather just replace the carpet in that room one day when you are ready to move the tank. Carpet isn't really that expensive. 
Defending Reefscape Champion (I Think)
BobC63 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobC63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 05 2012 at 1:08pm
I wouldn't freak out too bad, 5 gallons is not all that much water (it just seems like it)

I would put your wet vac suction as close to the stand base as possible and let it sit there for 5 minutes and see if it pulls anymore water out of the carpet. Then move it around the base of the stand.

Like Tanuki said, the weight of the tank will limit how much water can get into the pad underneath it.

If you have access to a carpet steam cleaner then I would use that with plain water only to "rinse" your carpet and remove any salt residues out.

- My Current Tank: 65g Starfire (sitting empty for 2+ years) -

* Marine & Reef tanks since 1977 *
Shayne View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shayne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 05 2012 at 1:50pm
Originally posted by BobC63 BobC63 wrote:

I would put your wet vac suction as close to the stand base as possible and let it sit there for 5 minutes and see if it pulls anymore water out of the carpet. Then move it around the base of the stand.

I've been doing that all day. Seems to be working. It's not pulling a ton of water but when I leave it there it constantly pulls out little drops of water.

Quote If you have access to a carpet steam cleaner then I would use that with plain water only to "rinse" your carpet and remove any salt residues out.

I'm using a carpet cleaner vac. I've already run it once with the cleaner soap and hot water. I'll probably hit it again with just hot water in a couple hours.

Thanks again for everyone's help!

Edited by Shayne - June 05 2012 at 1:51pm
21G Reefer Nano
Shayne View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shayne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 05 2012 at 2:04pm
I'm still trying to find some sort of snail guard attachment that I can attach to my durso but I'm not having any luck.

I might do the window screen thing for a short term fix but I'd really like to find an attachment or something. (Note: My durso is home made with PVC. The elbow is 1 1/2".)
21G Reefer Nano
wickedsnowman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wickedsnowman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 05 2012 at 3:22pm
I think I have seen them at home depot in the plumbing section but if u cant find them there most online aquarium retailers sell them under the plumbing section. Like this

http://www.marinedepot.com/Overflow_Strainer_1_1_2_inch_MPT_MPT_Fitting_Strainers-Plumbing_Parts-FT8533-FIFTSTMP-FT8577-vi.html

They just slip over the PVC
Shayne View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shayne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 05 2012 at 7:04pm
Just ordered one of these: http://www.marineandreef.com/Inland_Seas_Suction_Screen_p/ris02315.htm

Hopefully that puts an end to that problem. I'm probably going to pick up an overflow prevention switch as well in the next few weeks.

Edited by Shayne - June 05 2012 at 7:06pm
21G Reefer Nano
laynframe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote laynframe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 05 2012 at 7:13pm
Ditch the durso and go with a herbie overflow, if possible. Ive had a flood before with the durso and a blockage. Converted to herbie and never had a problem again and its dead silent!
The time we enjoy wasting isn't wasted time!!!!
Shayne View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shayne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 05 2012 at 11:54pm
Originally posted by laynframe laynframe wrote:

Ditch the durso and go with a herbie overflow, if possible. Ive had a flood before with the durso and a blockage. Converted to herbie and never had a problem again and its dead silent!

Sigh... I asked about doing a herbie when I was putting my system together almost 2 years ago. Everyone who replied said to just go with a durso.
21G Reefer Nano
laynframe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote laynframe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2012 at 4:45pm
lol because a lot of people like pre made stuff.  Herbie is super easy if you can do it with your overflow.
The time we enjoy wasting isn't wasted time!!!!
Shayne View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shayne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2012 at 5:18pm
I might have to switch over. It would take me about 20 minutes to throw one together. Plus it would be nice to have something a bit quieter. The durso isn't terrible but it isn't really quiet either.

On a side note, my boss (who used to install carpet) thinks I'm an idiot if I don't tear down my tank and get the water out of the carpet. I tried explaining the amount of work and money (salt, new sand, inevitable loss of life, etc) that would be involved and he just shook his head. I now feel like an idiot. I can't win. Ouch

Edited by Shayne - June 06 2012 at 5:21pm
21G Reefer Nano
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2012 at 5:44pm
We all have different opinions that meet our own individual needs.
Personally, I have just kept the fan blowing on the carpet around the tank for 3-7 days. This sucks the water and some salt back out from underneath and helps everything dry so fast that mold never has a chance.
Of course, here in Hawai'i that would never work. Carpet grows mold even when it's just out in the open and never had water spilled on it. Wacko

Some people choose to tile a larger area where the tank is to go.

I like the Herbie/siphon style of overflow. Absolutely quiet. Durso is a good way to start, then as more experience comes, move to the slightly complicated Siphon overflow, which requires close control of the sump water level to avoid the too frequent need for the emergency drain.
Enjoy
Big smile

Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
Dion Richins View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dion Richins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2012 at 6:54pm
Salt water doesn't grow the mold that fresh water does. Ive had many floods over the years. And moved the tanks months or years later to a new spot, bigger tank etc and never found and mold underneath. As long as you get as much as possible out the remainder will dry out.
The only concern I would have is if the water is caught under the stand in a dead spot or something. But even then as long as there is air flow it will dry out.
AS far as herbie drains are concerned. Ill take a Durso any day. I have guards on all of mine. I don't have time to constantly be adjusting the valves to keep it operating efficiently.
Bad "censored" Cabinets
Best quality in the valley! He is one sexy bald guy, even with out a finger!(MAC)
Shayne View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shayne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2012 at 7:15pm
Thanks for the advice everyone. I've been running ideas through my head but I think I'll just stick with what I'm doing (fans and the space heater) and hope for the best.

I sure am glad I have this community to turn to for advice. Smile
21G Reefer Nano
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic