Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

How do i frag a Frogspawn?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
tfmreefs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tfmreefs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How do i frag a Frogspawn?
    Posted: June 06 2012 at 3:21pm
How do i frag a frogspawn? The thing that makes me wonder is that ever time i try to get it, is that it sinks in the rock that its on... And what would i use? How deep to i cut it? WHere do i do it at? Any help would be awsome! thanks:)
"The early bird might get the worm, but only the second mouse gets the cheese."
BobC63 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobC63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2012 at 3:43pm

Frogspawn skeleton (the hard part) looks like branches of a tree.

The part where the soft coral body sticks out is reffered to as a 'head'.

You cut off a single branch (or multiple branches) to frag it.

Cut it as close to where the branches meet as possible.

If you only have a single head, you can't frag it yet.

- My Current Tank: 65g Starfire (sitting empty for 2+ years) -

* Marine & Reef tanks since 1977 *
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2012 at 5:32pm
Sometimes you can break it by hand.
If it's too strong or I can't hold it without damaging the head, I use dikes/diagonal wire cutter or a Dremel to cut or score the skeleton for breaking.

I've had pieces where the whole branch shattered and the head fell into several pieces. Not to worry, any small bit of flesh left on a head can regrow into a full head and eventually an entire colony. Whoops, that is different than what Bob said about a single head. Embarrassed I used to make part of my living growing and selling coral.

Something not often realized is that the hydrated/fully expanded head can get cut on it's own razor sharp skeleton if removed from the water while fully hydrated. Before removing it from the water, shake it a little to make it retract. Also, I always remove Frogspawn and the entire the family of Euphyllia corals like Hammer and Torch, from the water in the upside down position to further avoid cutting damage.
Hope this is not TMI.
Big smile
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
Josh95 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Josh95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2012 at 7:20pm
Depends on how careful you want to be, I just took a flathead screw driver, got close to where the heads split, put the head of the screwdriver there, and tapped the back of the handle until it broke.
Josh M.
Phone: 406.471.1334
BobC63 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobC63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2012 at 7:43pm
Originally posted by tfmreefs tfmreefs wrote:

How do i frag a frogspawn? The thing that makes me wonder is that ever time i try to get it, is that it sinks in the rock that its on... And what would i use? How deep to i cut it? WHere do i do it at? Any help would be awsome! thanks:)
Originally posted by Mark Peterson Mark Peterson wrote:

... Whoops, that is different than what Bob said about a single head. Embarrassed I used to make part of my living growing and selling coral.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Mark, you crack me up LOL

What I said  was 'different' because I read his post carefully and took note that he does not even know that the skeleton is part of the coral (he calls it the 'rock' the coral is sitting on) and because it sounds like he thinks you frag a frogspawn by removing the head off of the 'rock' and cutting it up like a Mushroom coral Shocked

And while you may someimtes be able to salvage cracked / broken heads, a much less experienced hobbyist (like tfmreefs) is going to end up with small pieces of frogspawn skeleton all over the place, some with shreds of live coral on them... most of which - if not all of which - will eventually die...

So I stand by my original comments.

tfmreefs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tfmreefs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2012 at 10:33pm
Oh, haha thats the rock part i thought is the skelleton:) I did not know that:0 thanks guys
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2012 at 7:29pm
Wacko Oops, I missed the part about it sinking into the rock.
Yeah the end of the branch/skeleton is constantly being built up at the tip by the growing coral. One head grows and branches out into two or three and those grow and branch out. These are some of the "reef building corals" of which you may have heard.
I'm standing with Bob. Approve

Edited by Mark Peterson - June 07 2012 at 7:31pm
Fatman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2012 at 10:56pm
Wise decision, very wise.
tfmreefs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tfmreefs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2012 at 11:27pm
Originally posted by BobC63 BobC63 wrote:

Originally posted by tfmreefs tfmreefs wrote:

How do i frag a frogspawn? The thing that makes me wonder is that ever time i try to get it, is that it sinks in the rock that its on... And what would i use? How deep to i cut it? WHere do i do it at? Any help would be awsome! thanks:)
Originally posted by Mark Peterson Mark Peterson wrote:

... Whoops, that is different than what Bob said about a single head. Embarrassed I used to make part of my living growing and selling coral.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Mark, you crack me up LOL

What I said  was 'different' because I read his post carefully and took note that he does not even know that the skeleton is part of the coral (he calls it the 'rock' the coral is sitting on) and because it sounds like he thinks you frag a frogspawn by removing the head off of the 'rock' and cutting it up like a Mushroom coral Shocked

And while you may someimtes be able to salvage cracked / broken heads, a much less experienced hobbyist (like tfmreefs) is going to end up with small pieces of frogspawn skeleton all over the place, some with shreds of live coral on them... most of which - if not all of which - will eventually die...

So I stand by my original comments.

"much less experienced, like tfm reefs" really??
tfmreefs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tfmreefs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2012 at 11:33pm
I didn't know this stuff , duh no crap u wonder why I put a post saying "how do I frag a frogspawn" I didn't know this so of corse I'm new to this. I didn't know much about frogspawn that I bought which came in a pack of other corals and I was just wondering how to frag it because this is one coral I don't know to much about. But just because of that one other coral doesn't mean I'm "much less experienced"
bstuver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bstuver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2012 at 11:52pm
Um I am guessing seems you're a teen and all these guys have been in this hobby for as long as you have lived that that is what he meant. You are less experienced than a lot of other reefers because of your age and how long you've been keeping reefs...
Jackie Stuver

"wait these aren't the happy Hawaiians oompa doompa godly heaven on your face zoas?   I dont want them then. lol!" Ksmart
tfmreefs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tfmreefs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2012 at 11:57pm
Yes, obvioulsy, but i absolutly do not like being refered to as the "unexperienced hobbiest" Yes i realize that you guys have been doing this for a long time, but i put this post up to learn how to frag this, not to here that hes probaly going to do this, and this is probly going to happen, and bla bla bla
bstuver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bstuver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2012 at 12:09am
I don't think it was a personal attack. If you are inexperienced in what the skeleton of a coral is you are inexperienced in this hobby. Not just on a frogspawn coral, I am not trying to be rude and he was trying to say please don't do this as this will happen. Not saying you would but sometimes it's hard to read text and hear the tone it's used in.
Jackie Stuver

"wait these aren't the happy Hawaiians oompa doompa godly heaven on your face zoas?   I dont want them then. lol!" Ksmart
tfmreefs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tfmreefs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2012 at 12:17am

Yes, agreed, and i do know what the skelleton of corals are. I just thought (since this was my first time having a frogspawn) that it came on a rock. All some one had to say was thats a skeleton, which some one did. And then all i was looking for was and this is how you do so, which i also did, but i wasnt looking for anything else after that. Im not taking it personal but i just dont want to be reffered to as the unexpereinced hobbiest,  just because i came across a couple questions about frogspawn. Their skeletons are just different than all to other corals in my tank. Obviously they are different corals too

Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2012 at 1:17am
It's settled then.
You're doing alright.
Asking questions is a good way to learn.
I've been at this hobby pretty intensely since 1993 but I still learn things from you and others every time I come here.
Big smile
BobC63 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobC63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2012 at 9:45am
Tanner -

I apologize if my comments came off as rude or condescending. My response was really more to Mark, in the context of "Hey Mark, remember that not everyone out there has as much experience with corals as you do..." and was not meant to single you out or belittle you in any way.

And - just to be fair - since you have only been posting here for about 2 months, and your very first post here was "Hi I just started my first tank a little while ago and was wondering ..." and since I was comparing your time / experience in the hobby vs. Mark, who has more than 20 years in the hobby...

I think most reasonable people would agree that any person with 2 months of experience doing anything is "much less experienced" than someone with 20+ years of experience. That doesn't mean they are putting down the person with less experience.

And I agree with Mark that we older guys can - and do - learn alot from the younger guys.

(I got my first mushroom and leather corals while working at a LFS back in 1978, so 34 years keeping corals for me ) 

And, just because we have been in this hobby a long time, it doesn't make us any "better" than you - it just makes us... old              

Right, Mark?  LOL

Edited by BobC63 - June 08 2012 at 11:18am

Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2012 at 12:24pm
I'm not that old, am I? Wacko
tfmreefs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tfmreefs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2012 at 12:55pm
K, sorry to get on my high horse:/ I see what your saying
tfmreefs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tfmreefs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2012 at 12:56pm
Sorry, and yes I do now realize that you can't tell the tone of ssomeone else's voice behind computer/phone
tfmreefs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tfmreefs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2012 at 12:59pm
Also just an FYI I have been doing this a little more than six months...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic