Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Trap fish?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
zjenks3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zjenks3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Trap fish?
    Posted: June 07 2012 at 4:06pm
I have 4 damsels in my tank that chase all my fish I want them gone but don't want to tear down my tank to get them out anyone have ideas they could throw my way thanks
-Zach-
Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2012 at 4:13pm
I have really good luck using a standard fish trap.  I actually use an acclimation box and just put food in it.  They go right in.

Adam

Come to a meeting, they’re fun!
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2012 at 7:06pm
Adam, is an awesome fisherman. Smile

With patience and timing, the Pop/Water Bottle Fish Trap can also catch fish. It may take a few days for them to get accustomed to it. Adding a small rock and some Macroalgae can help. When they get hungry enough they go in to get food and can't get out. Tack the edges together with fishing line, with a length of fishing line extending out of the tank for easy retrieval.

Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
zjenks3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zjenks3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2012 at 7:48pm
I'll give it a try thanks for all the info so far! Do I let the pop bottle sink to the bottom? Or try to keep it up in the tank? What food do you recommend to entice them in? I'll also look into the acclimation box too Adam. They just ruin it for the rest of the fish in the tank everything hides for fear of the damsel!
-Zach-
bstuver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bstuver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2012 at 8:21pm
The bottle will sink. I usually use a cube of brine or something.
Jackie Stuver

"wait these aren't the happy Hawaiians oompa doompa godly heaven on your face zoas?   I dont want them then. lol!" Ksmart
zjenks3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zjenks3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2012 at 9:03pm
Ok friends I've been trying for a week and a half straight I had to feed in between for the sake of the rest of my fish. The pop bottle has caught everything but the damsels I caught shrimp other fish crabs snails etc. but not one damsel!!! I feel I have no choice but to remove the rock unless there are anymore tricks you guys have I just ordered a acclimation box and will try that as soon as i get it. I just don't want to tear down the tank with all my new coral I have added let me know if anyone has anymore suggestions
-Zach-
jaschall View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaschall Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2012 at 10:14pm
I was in the same boat with no luck. I spent months trying to catch 2 of them. A few other things I tried was a super small fly hook which just about worked. An other thing I have done to catch them in an other tank is wait tell its dark outside then turn off all the house lights in the room, keep the aquarium light on. This way its harder for your fish to see you. Throw some fish food in, I would go with flake food because it's a good floater. As soon as they swim up to get some net them up. Good luck.
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2012 at 10:39pm
"Catching Fish the Easy Way" by night is just too darn easy, most of the time.Embarrassed
See the Tip of that name in the WMAS Reefkeeping Tips below.

Edited by Mark Peterson - June 18 2012 at 10:41pm
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic