Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Hello and Questions

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
[email protected] View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cliff-king@live.com Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hello and Questions
    Posted: June 08 2012 at 8:32pm

I am reintroducing myself to the hobby. My name is Clifford King and I am a second year veterinary student up in Washington State. I grew up in Utah and attended Utah State University until moving up here for more school. While at USU, I started and kept a 90 gallon tank that had a 40 gallon refugium. Now, I am have started a 29 gallon biocube. I went with the biocube because it seemed like it didn't need a lot done to it to start a mini reef. I set up the tank about 3 1/2 weeks ago. It has 40 lbs of LS, 30 lbs. LR and 5 hermit crabs. The Nitrate levels are finally back to 0 and I had a small diatom bloom about a week ago that is almost gone and I added a clown yesterday. That being said, I have gotten a lot of information from my LFS and a fellow class mate that I need to change out everything. So, I come to you with questions.

To start off, I envision my tank eventually with a wide aray of different zoanthids, a hammer coral and a frogspawn, Along with 2 clowns, a cleaner shrimp, and a diamondback goby. Does that sound reasonable?

Should I change out the bioballs (origianlly I took out about half of the ones that it came with)?

Do I need to add a protein skimmer? IF so, what seems to be the best that will fit in the back compartment?

Should I add on a light on the back and add ceulerpa/ chaetomorpha?

Here are some pics
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2012 at 9:28pm
Welcome back.
Looks very good, but it's so small.Wink

"change out everything"? I don't think so.
A Skimmer is not needed but Activated Carbon is a necessity for all reef aquariums. All but one of the two dozen tanks I've had over the years were Skimmerless, as you can see here: http://utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=37523

Yes, I'd remove all bioballs now and as time permits, do a rockless Refugium of Chaeto there instead.

I'd add as many Zoanthids and other soft coral as you want anytime now.
Wait at least another month before adding Frogspawn or other stony coral.
Coral filter the water. Fish pollute the water.

The fish list is very reasonable.
Snails are more valuable than hermits in controlling algae. I'd add 5-10 snails in a couple weeks and keep adding as needed. Astrea, Cerith, Nerite, Hawaiian Strombus and Margarita are all good snails and I recommend a variety because they each eat algae a little differently in different places in the tank.

I'd read the WMAS Reefkeeping Tips linked below in my sig line and keep coming back here for more.
"This is the right place" for all your correct (or mostly correctEmbarrassed) information.
Enjoy
Big smile

Edited by Mark Peterson - June 08 2012 at 10:15pm
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
ksmart View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ksmart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2012 at 9:33pm
Welcome back! Tank is looking really good! I think your livestock selection sounds good. I would look into the skimmers that are specifically for biocubes. You could probably pull out the rest of the bioballs and be ok. As far as turning a chamber in the back into a fuge, I know there are some peeps out there that have done that on their cubes and there are some other mods people have done to the chambers in the back. In my cube I ran activated carbon in the back, and little bit of caulerpa in the display.

ksmart View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ksmart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2012 at 9:35pm
+1 to Mark's comment

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cliff-king@live.com Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2012 at 9:35am
Thank you for the quick replies. Your comments are very much appreciated.
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2012 at 4:53pm
BTW, Bioballs are included with the aquarium by the manufacturer for people that are making it a freshwater tank. They work great for freshwater but cause big problems for saltwater aquariums. In saltwater Bioballs overproduce Nitrates. We call them a Nitrate Factory. Dead Not good.
Big smile
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cliff-king@live.com Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2012 at 11:26pm
I finished pulling out the bioballs today. I have been pulling out a couple hand fulls every day. I also added a hand full of cheato to that area, however now the water falling that far without hitting the bioballs makes it pretty loud. Any suggestions?
e46slc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote e46slc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2012 at 11:42pm
Add more water in the back chambers.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic