Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Need to kill Amphipods!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Ann_A View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ann_A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Need to kill Amphipods!
    Posted: June 11 2012 at 5:12pm
Ok, so my tank is becoming overrun by amphipods. They are eating at all of my soft corals and damaging some of my LPS and SPS. Currently the only fish in the tank are 2 clownfish, 1 pbt, and 1 bicolor blenny. I don't really want to buy a fish for eating them (mandarin, or something similar) because once it's done its job it will starve, and I also just don't want to add any fish right now. The only things that are appreciating the amphipods are my sun polyps because the amphipods seem to make a good snack, and my sump is ridiculously clean.

ANY suggestions would be great!
aquablue View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aquablue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2012 at 5:52pm

I had this same problem a while back, the amphipods even got to where they were out 24/7 since there was no fear of being eaten. 

Getting a six line wrasse significantly decreased their population and stopped them from eating coral, they also went back to being nocturnal.

Edited by aquablue - June 11 2012 at 5:52pm
29G Rimless BioCube | DIY LED
12G Nano Cube | DIY LED

Member of GCFB
Ann_A View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ann_A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2012 at 5:57pm
Dang I really don't want to add more fish right now. The larger ones (1/4" zoa eaters) are out all the time now.
ksmart View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ksmart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2012 at 5:59pm
ya not sure how to do it without a fish. what is great about a wrasse is that they will help keep the population down and once down they will still eat other types of foods like pellets and brine, and mysis. I got a wrasse for the same reason and havent regretted it at all

aquablue View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aquablue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2012 at 6:12pm
Aquatic Dreams usually has time tiny six line wrasses.
29G Rimless BioCube | DIY LED
12G Nano Cube | DIY LED

Member of GCFB
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2012 at 6:12pm
Mandarins are the only fish we would typically say to avoid unless the tank is over 55 gal. So in your case it would be okay to add a Mandarin.
Any Wrasse will work, though some get really large. The Six-Line Wrasse is an excellent choice. Stay away from the 4 or 8 line Wrasses because they are more likely to eat Hermits and Snails.

Before running out to buy a fish, may I make a comment? I am actually surprised that Amphipods are eating the coral. Typically they are part of the cleanup crew eating only dieing and dead flesh. How do you feel about letting us give an evaluation of the tank? We would need to see current pics of the entire system and to know what the Temp, Salinity, Alk and Ca levels are currently?
I'd also like to see a pic of these coral eating Amphipods.
Big smile
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
Ann_A View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ann_A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2012 at 6:29pm
I'll work on pics when I get home tonight. Current parameters are as follows:

Specific Gravity 1.025
Ammonia and Nitrite 0ppm
Nitrate ~4ppm
Phosphates 0ppm
Calcium 460-440
dKH 8.7

Everything is healthy, and I know they're amphipods eating the zoas. Definitely not nudibranchs, or anything else. Until I can take pictures of them this is what they look like.
Kaiden32 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kaiden32 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2012 at 6:40pm
That is weird.. hope you get it resolved!
Ann_A View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ann_A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2012 at 12:46pm
Ok, so not to sound like I know everything or arguing that amphipods can eat healthy corals, but...

They ARE amphipods! I've read a ton of stuff on pests and found multiple accounts of healthy zoanthids and other corals being eaten by amphipods. I'm thinking I will have to get a fish now, but am debating what to get. I don't really want the "common" fish...something more unique or rarely seen in a home aquarium would be cool. I'm also ruling out a dragonet because I had one a while ago and want to try something new (not that I won't go back to it later...with a bigger tank).

Any suggestions on fish?
BubbleGuppy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BubbleGuppy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2012 at 1:16pm
Originally posted by Ann_A Ann_A wrote:

Ok, so not to sound like I know everything or arguing that amphipods can eat healthy corals, but...

They ARE amphipods! I've read a ton of stuff on pests and found multiple accounts of healthy zoanthids and other corals being eaten by amphipods. I'm thinking I will have to get a fish now, but am debating what to get. I don't really want the "common" fish...something more unique or rarely seen in a home aquarium would be cool. I'm also ruling out a dragonet because I had one a while ago and want to try something new (not that I won't go back to it later...with a bigger tank).

Any suggestions on fish?

Sixline you don't have to worry about them dying due to starvation because they also eat frozen and pellets, I've never had a pod problem because of my Sixline keeping them under control, but i still have enough that you can see them run around the rocks.
Jeni

72Gal Bowfront Mixed Reef
46gal Bowfront Mixed Reef
20gal mixed reef
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2012 at 1:35pm
I wasn't doubting that they are Amphipods. Not at all. I just wanted to see what Coral eating Amphipods look like because they have never been a problem in my reef tanks. The thing I wanted to check by looking at the pic of the tank is whether it appears that the Amphipods are a different variety, a mutation or may have changed their eating habits causing coral to become the next best food in the tank. I would need to see a pic in order to give some suggestions as to what else to do, because it sounded like having to add a bug eating fish was not really your first choice.
Big smile
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
pgravis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pgravis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2012 at 1:54pm
I was never a fan of my 6 line wrasse. It was always a bully to the other fish.   Maybe try something like a bangaii cardinal, or depending on tank size, some sort of anthias.   for something a little different try a flame wrasse.
See my house: www.eclecticvictorian.com
Ann_A View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ann_A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2012 at 2:29pm
Ok so I'm looking into different options and these are the fish I've narrowed it down to...for now:

-Copperband Butterfly
-Longnose Butterfly
-Mandarin Dragonet
-Leopard Wrasse
-Fairy Wrasse (not sure what kind yet)
-Sixline (as a last resort)
Ann_A View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ann_A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2012 at 2:30pm
Ok so I'm looking into different options and these are the fish I've narrowed it down to...for now:

-Copperband Butterfly
-Longnose Butterfly
-Mandarin Dragonet
-Leopard Wrasse
-Fairy Wrasse (not sure what kind yet)
-Sixline (as a last resort)
ch3tt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ch3tt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2012 at 3:20pm
I would go with the Leopard Wrasse hands down. Beautiful fish and do a great job eating pods.
Red Sea Reefer 625 XXL
eldiente View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eldiente Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2012 at 3:51pm
Looked up the Leopard Wrasse on Liveaquaria.com and saw this  and thought it interesting!

"A 50 gallon or larger aquarium with well established live rock and a layer of live sand is recommended. They will do best when introduced in groups of three or more."

Never known a wrasse to do better in groups, beautiful fish though, I like the male coloration but hard to argue with the female. (In fact I try to never argue with females, I always lose!)

Edited by eldiente - June 12 2012 at 3:53pm
Brian
Twin Falls, Idaho

210 Gallon Glass reef
rize2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rize2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2012 at 4:29pm
Leopard wrasse looks pretty neat. I bought an earmuff wrasse from the Aquarium last month and love the colors. I think that that is a pretty unique wrasse. They may be able to get in another one.
FishnFriendz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FishnFriendz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2012 at 5:02pm
I would pick Leopard wrasse aslo.  I used to have one, she looked pretty, but hide alot. Here is mine:
Ann_A View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ann_A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2012 at 6:49pm
Ok, so I'm hopefully going to be getting one of these fish (probably the leopard wrasse) fairly soon, but...

I caught my bicolor blenny nipping at my torch coral today! I think he has been contributing to the coral loss as well, although there are definitely amphipods helping out since they're out 24/7 and I can literally watch them eating my corals.

So my current plan is to pull the bicolor blenny ASAP and catch as many amphipods as possible while I decide on a fish, which will likely go into the tank within the next week. Any suggestions or last minute criticism (constructive of course)?
suiso man View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suiso man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2012 at 8:23am
Ann, I agree get a wrass. I have a six line and a mandarin but I have a 180 gallon tank. I think I need another fish to control my population

Edited by suiso man - June 13 2012 at 8:24am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic