Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

29g Biocube HQI Build

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
bfisher88 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bfisher88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 29g Biocube HQI Build
    Posted: June 12 2012 at 3:43pm
Alright so I got my Biocube setup from e46slc on here this morning. Got the pumps and skimmer installed as well as the lights. Waiting to set up the RKL and everything til I get back from out of town this weekend so I can devote more time to it. Currently working on picking up live sand tomorrow and have some live rock as well that I need to get into the tank to start running before I leave. 

I'll be gone for 3 days, should I leave the lights on during this time to get some algae growing? 

I have a filter pad in one media area now, do I need to wait on the purigen, chaeto, etc until the cycle is complete and I start putting fish/coral in? 

Any tips/help would be appreciated. 

Edited by bfisher88 - June 12 2012 at 3:45pm
Cody View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2012 at 9:06pm
If it were me I would add sand then rock then water and cycle. Take your time and make sure you like the rock work before adding water. I swear I changed my aqua scape like 10 time before I was happy.
Akira View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Akira Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2012 at 12:42am
sand and rock , if using live rock a week would be enough to cycle , get some sand from others to prime ur tank . wait till u get home so u can see any unforseen issues. just my 02 and what i would do :)

reefdmd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reefdmd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2012 at 12:50am
I totally agree with Cody! for my first tank i changed the rocks like 10000 times. then once you start your second and third and so forth you will have an idea wayyyy in advance. Best of LUCK! post some pictures and the progress. O by the way I had a 29 gal biocube (not HQI) but one thing i would say that you will appreciate later would be to make sure you have about 2-3 inch of sand. good luck!
bfisher88 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bfisher88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2012 at 5:18pm
Alright so I was able to get some very nice live sand from a member here, as well as a couple live rock. Has been up and running for a week now and is looking nice. Should be filling it up with LR completely this week. 

Currently running a maxi-jet 1200 for the pump, only filter floss and LR rubble in the media baskets, and an aqualife skimmer. Going to be checking water parameters this week sometime at the LFS as well to make sure everything looks well. If so I'll be adding two clowns to start, and will likely need a CUC soon. 

Any tips or suggestions are welcome!

Akira View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Akira Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2012 at 11:03pm
Hey im taking my tank down and need everything out by friday . I have a ton of live rock let me know .
bfisher88 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bfisher88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2012 at 7:55am
Shoot me a text, 4359620192
bfisher88 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bfisher88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2012 at 10:52pm
Ended up getting a bunch of live fiji rock from Fish4u this afternoon since the wife was most partial to this type of rock. Was more than I would have liked but it looks fantastic and has some nice growth and colors on it already. Also picked up some chaeto for the back media filter, and 5 hermits. 

Edited by bfisher88 - June 19 2012 at 10:52pm
Kaiden32 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kaiden32 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2012 at 12:26pm
Looking good so far!
bfisher88 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bfisher88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2012 at 4:16pm
Some better photos of the LR in the tank. Some die-off but also some nice colors I had a hard time getting good photos of. 

bfisher88 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bfisher88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2012 at 9:29pm
So what are these growing on the LR? 

Akira View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Akira Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2012 at 12:16am
I love the look of the rock lots of great places to put stuff , best guess is the hitch hikers are types of sponges and thats a good thing so long as they never become invasive( meaning they are actually sponges). From the pics cant tell but another more experienced member will probably chime in .
Kaiden32 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kaiden32 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2012 at 7:27am
Yeah it just looks like some kind of sponge to me.
eldiente View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eldiente Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2012 at 3:36pm
How are the fish doing you got this last weekend? Did you end up getting the 6 line wrasse and the clowns? I saw you at Fish4U and talked to you about your tank for awhile. Your tank looks good. It was nice meeting you, if you have anymore questions shoot me a pm. Happy reefing!
Brian
Brian
Twin Falls, Idaho

210 Gallon Glass reef
bfisher88 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bfisher88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2012 at 4:42pm
Hey Brian, 

Was great to meet you down there. Unfortunately, not so well lol. 6 line died in the first few hours either by getting smushed or getting stuck in a rock. Have lots of brown growing so I'm assuming it's going through a cycle and the zoas and kenya both arent doing well. Too early I guess, will see if the percula makes it through it all. 
bfisher88 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bfisher88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2012 at 5:39pm
Well, moving two times this month and the first went well. Only took 45 min to move it really and everything went very smoothly. Cycle looks to be almost done so I'll be moving it again in 2 weeks for the final spot. After that I'll be adding an MP10, toadstool leather, six line wrasse again, and some zoas. If all goes well for a few weeks there I'll be going toward a mixed tank and adding more frags or LPS and softies to start. 

Question: how often should I be running the skimmer once I am fully cycled? I have left it off so far during the cycling period as I only have mushrooms and a clown in the tank now. 

Tank as of a few weeks ago, the brown has all been cleaned up now. 

Kaiden32 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kaiden32 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2012 at 5:44pm
Most people run the skimmer 24/7. No reason not to IMO.
bfisher88 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bfisher88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2012 at 5:51pm
That's what I thought though I have heard differing opinions I just had no idea. Once I get it to final spot I'll start using it again. 
BillyC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BillyC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2012 at 5:55pm
Your LR is very unique. Once this tank gets up and running it'll be amazing. Glad you haven't sold it.
bfisher88 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bfisher88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2012 at 6:02pm
Thanks Billy! Can't wait to actually start filling it to see how it looks. I'm going to do some rescaping on the next move to allow more sand space in the front. May remove a few pieces of rock to do this but we will see. 

Question about dosing. I only have test kits for the basic stuff (nitrites and such along with calcium and kh) but should I use the Kent nano A and B on a daily basis like it recommends when putting corals in? 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic