Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

How big do clowns need to be to breed?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
tanked34 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tanked34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How big do clowns need to be to breed?
    Posted: June 14 2012 at 1:00pm
I just purchased a paired black and white female to an orange and white male. I'm in the process of getting a 29 gallon Biocube setup so I can move them over and I'd eventually like to start breeding them. The female is about 3 inches long and the male is about 2 inches long. Can someone tell me if there's a certain age or size they need to be in order to spawn, or can they start spawning anytime once they are paired and are given ideal water conditions? And does anyone know what the fry would look like? Would they make Onyx Clownfish?

Thanks! 
CrimsRayne View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CrimsRayne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2012 at 1:12pm
I'm not the person to ask, but the breeding pairs I've seen have been anywhere from 2-4" depending on the type of clown.
"What we know from this hobby is too hard to share with the people who just want to look and not get wet." -Rioreefer

"The Puffer Girl"

Zoo freak :)

West Jordan
McClure View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McClure Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2012 at 1:22pm
Mocha is what their offspring are called... pretty cute, if you use the search function in this forum, there are a few who breed or have breed them, and I am SURE there will be a picture.

I don't think (although I have never breed them) that 29 is big enough.
180 Gallon, 75 gallon, 30 gallon, 5 gallon. On a side note: I have just now decided that "Gallon" is a funny looking word.
sabeypets View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote sabeypets Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2012 at 6:24pm

A 3" Darwins female and a 2" Ocellaris male should be big/old enough to spawn. It usually takes about 3 months to settle in after a move. They could spawn anytime if conditions are right and they have settled in. A 29 gal will work great.  

Shaun
American Fork
"Would you leave a dead cat in your kitchen till tommorow?" Builderofdreams
Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2012 at 7:08pm
The bigger the better.  And fed several times per day.

Adam
Come to a meeting, they’re fun!
tanked34 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tanked34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2012 at 5:39pm
Great, thanks for the info! I'll search for the Mocha clowns.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic