Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Just Need to Rant about Pests

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
ReefdUp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReefdUp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Just Need to Rant about Pests
    Posted: June 14 2012 at 9:53pm
Probably best if no one reads this...but this just has to be said...

Maybe things aren't as bad as what I'm seeing, but it seems like just about everyone here has serious pests (AEFW, Monti-eating Nudis, Red Bugs, etc), and is still selling their corals without telling people.  IMO, this is a horrible hobby ethical issue.  The area I just moved from seemed to all take QT/treatment regiments a lot more seriously.  This area...not so much (or I have bad luck). 

I have purchased several frags from various reefkeepers in the area...and have taken the frags home to find the above mentioned pests and various other nasties.  I have contacted those sellers to let them know about their problem.  Most have acted like they had no idea...then continued to sell their corals without treating or informing others of their pests. 

Please...if you have pests, please do not sell your corals/fish without disclosing this information...even if it means you lose a few bucks.  It is NOT responsible reefkeeping.  Just because someone before you didn't treat their corals and got the pests...and gave them to you...does not mean you should pass the pests on to the rest of the world.

Chances are, if you disclose the info, you probably won't lose the sale as there are many reefers "surviving" with pests, and they may not care the new corals have the pests.  Also, I don't mind (usually) taking corals with pests as I can treat for them.  It's just miserable thinking the corals are probably ok, then finding Montipora-eating Nudis as I'm about to take the coral out of quarantine.  I'd rather know before I take the corals home so I can watch for them...not find out at the last minute.

Ugh, sorry, anyway, I'm just tired of paying top dollar for corals that I'm having to hack up and toss parts of just b/c someone wasn't fully honest.  Ouch 

Thanks for reading...now back to your regularly scheduled programming.

Nikki
www.reefdup.com
Diving since 2009, reefkeeping since 2007, & fishkeeping since 1987
200g, 75g, & 15g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2012 at 10:03pm
A very geographic dependent item.  You'll find this area very weak on quarantine, pest control and the like.  It's pretty cool to see the differences in regions, we have some seriously strong areas, but that isn't one of them.

Adam
Come to a meeting, they’re fun!
bstuver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bstuver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2012 at 10:11pm
If I see my coral or tank has something I always disclose it. I may not catch it just looking at my tank so if there is something on mine I would appreciate being told.
Like Adam says we aren't heavy on QT process. I never have been including my freshwater, anytime I QT I end up with more issues for some reason. But honestly it's just a matter of opinion, I don't have the space or want to have more than one tank going.

However like you said if you know you have something please disclose it!

Edited by bstuver - June 14 2012 at 10:12pm
Jackie Stuver

"wait these aren't the happy Hawaiians oompa doompa godly heaven on your face zoas?   I dont want them then. lol!" Ksmart
Fatman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2012 at 12:20am
Maybe a class at a meeting on pests and how to do a proper QT procedure, with take home hand outs and hot dogs and chips and soda is in order this summer?  I'd love to learn QT procedures and would really like to have a pest free tank so when I trade corals I'm providing something of value rather than a problem that gets passed on to others.
aquablue View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aquablue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2012 at 1:07am

My personal procedure is dipping, quarantining and inspecting frags before selling them, but then again I tend to enjoy the activities some might find tedious when it comes to this hobby.

I've received a few pests on a couple frags that I didn't take the time to treat (had a horrible dino outbreak that took a week to treat), after that I treat and inspect things before they go in.

I'm sure the biggest problem is less malicious intent and more ignorance, not everyone is aware of these procedures and theres conflicting information how to go about it, methods, chemicals etc. 

I might get a little bugged getting pests from people but I'd feel more bothered if it was a store that wasn't taking any precautions with their stock, I've experienced some that didn't or felt it was on the customer to deal with the pests post sale.

Edited by aquablue - June 15 2012 at 1:08am
29G Rimless BioCube | DIY LED
12G Nano Cube | DIY LED

Member of GCFB
DLindquist View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DLindquist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2012 at 6:02am
Reef'd Up- That needed to be said. 
Question is, will it make a difference? There are a lot of people out there that know and just don't care and there are a lot of others out there that don't care to know. Dead
A government strong enough to give you everything you want, is powerful enough to take everything you have.

ReefdUp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReefdUp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2012 at 7:19am
Yeah, I know...but I had to say it. Whenever I let someone know they have pests, I always try to offer my help, my medications, and my instructions on how to treat. Not one person has taken me up on it. It takes everything in me to not post in their for sale threads that they have the pests (I feel mean doing it...but it's mean to not do it too for the people buying.)
I understand not everyone around has the time/resources to dip, QT, etc. I understand some people have made a choice to just live with certain pests (some people don't mind blowing off their Acros so the wrasses can eat the AEFW). But, that doesn't mean they can/should give their problems to others.
*Sigh* Thanks for the cheap therapy. :)
www.reefdup.com
Diving since 2009, reefkeeping since 2007, & fishkeeping since 1987
200g, 75g, & 15g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2012 at 12:11pm
I'm glad you said it. Thumbs Up

Since I'm not in the area anymore I haven't had the experience, but I notice on this MB that it's becoming more and more of a problem. I may be partly to blame because I'm an old fart that talks too much. Embarrassed
In my day there were fewer pests. The ones that bothered me the most were the brown photosynthetic flatworms. Even recently, one of my old friends in the hobby has had an ongoing issue with spreading these around the WMAS and I have suggested that he take care of the problem.

Thanks Nikki for bringing it up. I agree that dipping and quarantining has become essential to remove today's reef aquarium pests.

Hey everyone. Listen to Nikki. Don't spread pests. Approve
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
Kaiden32 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kaiden32 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2012 at 1:55pm
+1 on the meeting with a lesson on proper QT procedures and food. :) I would like to learn a little more on the subject. I am one of the lucky ones that hasn't had any major pests. Probably because I started with mostly dry rock. I think that it is possible that people just don't realize that they are doing that, so maybe when people see this they will make sure to tell the info in the future.
Jimbo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2012 at 2:20pm
Well said.  Yet another reason for the need to have a Buyer/Seller Feedback Forum...... Not to bring that subject up again Wink
jason10012 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jason10012 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2012 at 2:28pm
Originally posted by ReefdUp ReefdUp wrote:

Please...if you have pests, please do not sell your corals/fish without disclosing this information...even if it means you lose a few bucks.  It is NOT responsible reefkeeping.  Just because someone before you didn't treat their corals and got the pests...and gave them to you...does not mean you should pass the pests on to the rest of the world.

+1

I completely agree with you and glad you posted it as well. I'm definitely a newbie when it comes to saltwater, and I try to read as much as I can on the forums to learn, but from my stand point I would much rather know about the pest than find out the hard way and either not know its there because I don't know what I'm looking for, or how to treat it other than posting a question in the forum for advice from all of the more experiences reefers in the club.
30 gallon nano
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic