Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

New to the forum, but not to reefing

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
rsay4654 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rsay4654 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New to the forum, but not to reefing
    Posted: June 15 2012 at 8:13am
Hello everyone. I am new to the site but have been in the hobby for about ten years. I have a 125 gallon reef setup. Looking for some people with the same interest and hoping to find someone done here to trade frags with. There used to be a number of fish stores in southern utah. Now there is onl one and nothing ever looks good. Fish always hace lld, corals have no color. You know of those that just want to make money. Well A little more about my system. I run a coralife 4 x 96 watt with moonlight. A 30 gallon refugium. A fluval FX5. Skimmer.  As far as fish I have four clowns, a scopus tang, a huge vlamngi, scribbled rabbit, scooter blenny, mandarin goby, a couple yellow tail damsels, pj cardinal, banjai cardinal, and I'm sure there are a few more I can't remember right now. I don't have many corals right now. I recently had my light start on fire Angry. I lost all my corals except a few trying to save up for a new light. Well if there is anyone in Southern Utah that has some cheap or free frags let me know. Thanks!
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2012 at 12:35pm

Hello Ralph,
10 years in Hurricane?
When I lived in St. George, 2007-2010, I started having meetings of the WMAS southern Utah group. There were about 10 of us that I knew. Some of them are still in the hobby. I might have their email addresses.

There is one guy near the Green Spring Golf Course on the north side of the freeway named Barlow I think. He doesn't have email but he is deep into the hobby, growing lots of coral, and fish too. I may still have his phone number.
There is another guy that had his own account with the distributors in Los Angeles. (speaking of that, one of those distributors is owned by a guy that lives in St. George!) We got together and did group orders to save a bunch of money and get better quality animals.
Another two good hobbyists also come to mind.

FYI, unless I'm mistaken, there are two LFS in St. George. The Living Aquarium moved and didn't re-open for 6 months. Most people lost track of the store when they reopened on Riverside Dr just down the hill from Costco. They are on the left hand (east) side of the road in an industrial strip mall, near a motorcycle/atv shop if I recall correctly. A person from this MB (Phil/philender)bought the place just the first of this year. I'll do a search...here it is, Fish and Frags http://utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=53786

Welcome to the WMAS and let me know if you would like me to delve deeper and pull up some contact info on those hobbyists.
Enjoy
Big smile

Edited by Mark Peterson - June 15 2012 at 12:42pm
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
rsay4654 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rsay4654 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2012 at 1:08pm
Sorry to say this but that Fish and Frags is hardly a store. The guy that was there when I went in was very creepy, my wife said she would not go back. Since Tracy and Wendy lost The living Art There has not been a store in St. George. I did go in to check that place out and the were all of about six fish and maybe ten coral. None of which he would sell! But I do think I know who you are talking about off of green springs drive. I don't believe he is in the hobby anymore. But if you happen to know any numbes or email to anyone dow here that would be great. This seems like a hopeless hobby down here anymore. And I know the store you are talking about on the other side of the freeay. tey were reat. Great looking fish and corals. and great prices. He was a hobbiest for sure. By the way if the owner of fish and frags see's this. Just a heads up of how you make people feel. Nothing to personal.
rsay4654 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rsay4654 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2012 at 1:14pm
I have been in hurricane for % years. Before which I lived in St. George. So yes if you know of any other hobbiest down here that would be great. It seems everyone I know has torn downtheir tanks. I have actually made out well because of that. Buying fish and equipment. Thanks for the welcome.
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2012 at 1:50pm
I must have left all the contact info in storage in Utah. Sorry.
Sounds like you know the right people.
Dion Richins View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dion Richins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2012 at 11:41pm
Welcome Ralph!
Quick question, What kind of corals are/were you keeping under those lights?
How long were they out of light before they were lost?

I think people would like to know what they can do with out the high output lights that are typical for reef keeping.
Bad "censored" Cabinets
Best quality in the valley! He is one sexy bald guy, even with out a finger!(MAC)
rsay4654 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rsay4654 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2012 at 9:54am
I had al kinds of softies. mushrooms, poypls, zoos, colt, some monipora, carpe anemome, xenia, some war coral, gorgiania, and I'm sure a ton of others that I can't remember. Lights were out about two weeks. Between saving money and waiting for the light to ship. Cry I miss my corals!!!
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2012 at 11:06am
Dion asked a very good question and I believe he will agree with what I say next.
We have found that it doesn't take much light to keep things alive while waiting for repaired/new lights.

A simple ~$10 shop light would do it. Inexpensive ~$6 PlantAquarium Fluorescent tubes also found at Walmart and hardware stores are better than ordinary fluorescent light tubes. Total cost of this emergency light: <$30

For smaller tanks, what works awesomely is the light we affectionately call the "Home Depot Special". It's a $7 clip on cone reflector with a $5 twist PC bulb in the "Daylight" color.  Total cost: <$15

These are what can keep $1000's of coral from perishing.

Personally, these days I place all my aquariums in windows or close to windows. East or South facing windows are best. Then the electric lights are supplemental. Shocked The immense power of sunlight on a reef aquarium is still not recognized in this hobby. Sunlight not only helps everything grow better, it helps a reef aquarium survive a power outage.

My 2 cents. Big smile
rsay4654 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rsay4654 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2012 at 11:23am
Yeah I shoulda joined this site before I lost everything.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic