Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Local Stores and This Forum

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Local Stores and This Forum
    Posted: June 01 2003 at 7:04pm

Okay, so to address a recent issue I'm posting this.  We could use input from everyone.  The question is how involved do you want local stores to be regarding this forum?  Our basic rule has been this....  The club and this site are here for the hobbyist.  That is our market to serve, and the goal of the club.  That is why items like a group buy on salt were allowed to post, or items regarding a mail order company.  Also reasons for having our DIY forum.  Typically we allow people (or stores) to make a post saying something like "Store X now has 6 flame angels in and they are awesome looking".  However, we don't allow stores to simply post their weekly specials or things like that.  We also let people or stores post things like "I would suggest going to store X to get that, they always have nice items", but not things like "go to this store, they are the only store you should go to".    

The problem lies in that we don't want to look like we are neglecting any stores, nor that we are promoting any.  Well, actually we are promoting some, those who promote us.  But, we don't want to be viewed as supporting one store. 

I've always thought that this website was very well run.  I also believe that we are doing a great job of promoting several stores.  Maybe I'm wrong, maybe I'm right.  Any thoughts....

Adam

Come to a meeting, they’re fun!
ewaldsreef View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ewaldsreef Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2003 at 8:18pm

The main piont of this forum is the hobbiest.  As long as we stick to that there should be no problems. I have no problems with people from stores posting in fact I like it because then I get to know the person I am dealing with. Since I have been active on the forum I have not had any problems with stores trying to sell me. There is a fine line sometimes. I think that mostly it is common sense. If I want to ask mr. x that works at store x a question about there store I would probabley pm them not post a thread.

So I dont know if this helps but I like the store affilates posting because they have helped me.  There have been a couple stores that I found out about on this forum and that has been a good thing.

Adam this has been a well ran site in my opinion.

Contact me for professional aquarium maintenance and localy grown coral frags. [URL=http://www.aquatitranquility.com][/URL]

Flaz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2003 at 9:18pm

I’d say that any store willing to post to an open forum like this for hobbyists is 90% ahead of the rest of the retailers in knowledge and service.  If a store is willing to accept the barrage of replies (and reputation) that they may get from a group as fickle as us then I say they’ve earned a bit of respect and should feel free to post.  I don’t think most of us would hold back on our comments if we saw something out of line or suspicious…  Bring on the weekly specials!

mdawson8931 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdawson8931 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2003 at 10:34pm
Personally, I would think a forum specifically for the retailers would work out ok. I wouldnt mind being able to login here and be able to see store specials. I live in northern Utah and driving to each and every store in SLC is daunting. Now, if the websites where updated and maintained then that would be different. Just my .02 <SCRIPT language=javascript>postamble();
Mike
Layton, Ut.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ewaldsreef Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2003 at 10:47pm

mdawson8931, Not a bad idea at all to have a seperate forum for the venders however should the venders have to pay for such advertizing? Personally that wouldnt bother me and I would problable use the extra section of the forum.  I am curious to know how the presidency feels about this idea.

Contact me for professional aquarium maintenance and localy grown coral frags. [URL=http://www.aquatitranquility.com][/URL]

MarineAquatics View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarineAquatics Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2003 at 1:29am

The web site is ran by Jake of Coral Planet and Pet factory and he owns the server the site is ran from. So that would mean that the other stores would have to pay Pet Factory to be able to use a sight that would make it so Jake would have even more control of what is posted from other stores .

This is not ment to upset any one so I hope this isn't taken out of context. Thanx Ryan

Suzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2003 at 7:28am
I like the way it is now. I do think it is important to support the LPS in our town, because I hate to drive way far away just to get brine shrimp or buffer or something. But if a club member who has been VERY active (Not everyone who joins our club actually does anything to support our club) and that member made a REALLY cool website (with a forum and a TOM and a gallery and really cool links and stuff,) we couldn't use that website to hurt his business.......That's wouldn't be cool.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdawson8931 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2003 at 8:36am
I dont think paying for such a minimal amount of advertising would be needed. Especially if the LFS's are limited to say only posting specials of the week. Any and all specific questions on prices should be handled on a more personal and private nature. Then again, Jake who owns this 'place' and a FS might think different which is ok too. I'm just thinking what would be easier for me and not about free enterprise.   once again, just my .02
Mike
Layton, Ut.
tfowers View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tfowers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2003 at 9:14am

I think there's a certain level of 'social darwinism' on the message board. Overall I think it's good that LFS post.

1. keeps quality of fish + service high       I think feedback on other user's expirences with store can protect us as consumers. LFS can post to defend their reputation/explain any bad situations.

2. keeps prices low       Posting weekly specials, etc, make prices clear to everyone.   Stores gouging customers becomes clear.

3. keeps stores up to date with the demands for the local market.

4. gives stores good karma - that's always good.

I personally have gotten alot of education and advice from LFS and try to partonize them as much as I can.  The message board just keeps them honest.  I'm actually more cautious about stores that don't post.

My 2 rupees -  Tim

SSpargur View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SSpargur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2003 at 9:22am

I, for one, agree that the LFS's should be active on this board.

I too would like to see a forum for the LFS's to post weekly specials, or just to answer hobbiests questions.

I personally do most of my shopping on-line, that way I don't have to run all over town for hours finding what I need.  I would be more likely to buy from the LFS's if they were active here and posted "specials".

I am subscribed to Jake's email list for The Pet Factory and get his specials, but to my knowledge, he is the only local to provide email specials.  FWIW, I have bought from the Pet Factory, because of the email I received from him on the specials.  Any LFS posting about their business, IMO, is a great way to spark interest in their store. 

I'm all for the local LFS's actively posting here.

Clown View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2003 at 10:00am

I think that having LFS's active on this forum is a really good idea!

For someone like me,thats new to the game,it provides me with a great opportunity to find good stores to shop without having to run all over town.

I also would be more likely to buy from the LFS's if they were active here and posted "specials".

I think alot of my education would also play a part to the idea.

Pm Me I have no E-mail.
Jake Pehrson View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jake Pehrson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2003 at 10:35am

Yes, this site is donated by me and I do own Coral Planet and The Pet Factory.  I don’t think I have ever keep this a secret.  

I would be open to adding a commercial section where pet stores can post their weekly specials etc.  Charging for this service would be up to the club presidency.  If they did decide to charge the money wouldn’t go to me, but would go directly to the club.  I feel that I have not tried to control the information on this web site.  I think that this is evident by clicking on the Local Pet Store section.  None of these stores pay for this advertisement, but it is offered as a service for club members.  If anyone feels that I have misused this club site or my authority as Vice President I would like to know about it, as I have not intentionally tried to.

Jake Pehrson View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jake Pehrson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2003 at 10:45am

I agree members should be able to post whatever they like.  Censorship on this site has been limited to removing inappropriate material.

Jake Pehrson

Murray

coralplanet.com

:)
Marcus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marcus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2003 at 1:30pm

As a LPS manager, I would like to say a couple words:

There have been many things said on this forum that have NOT benefited The Pet Factory and Coralplanet.com.  Therefore, if Jake wanted to CONTROL the content of this forum, that content would have been deleted.  There are more stores that do not help WMAS than do help.  Many posts on this forum have directed hobbyists to stores that do NOT support WMAS for good help and deals.  Those posts have not been deleted to my knowledge which is what makes this an OPEN forum.  Just because Jake owns The Pet Factory, Coralplanet.com, and this website does not mean that I (Pet Factory manager) have any control over editing or controlling this website.  I have posted a lot on this forum and I try to keep it on a hobbyist level.  I am also a hobbyist as well as a LPS employee.  When I see someone looking for something on this forum, I have PM them.  I do not feel that we should flood this forum with deals and "Buy here" themes, unless there is place for it, hence a "Commercial category".  I really feel that the Forum Moderator should create that category.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdawson8931 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2003 at 3:34pm

Jake --  I dont believe anyone here believes you have misused anything. Infact everyone here applaudes the work you do.

That goes for Marcus also.  I apprieciate the PM's when I'm looking for something.

Mike
Layton, Ut.
jenjardu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jenjardu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2003 at 3:55pm

I don't think that Jake or the WMAS presidency has been bias in anyway.  I for one would welcome any advertising even more so if it was in a controled environment like the "Commercial Category" or "Retailers Category".  We do after all live in a Market Econemy competition=better goods and services right?

I strongly believe in the right for a customer to receive the best goods and services for the lowest price, just as mutch as I believe that a good salesman should always strive to make the most money.  Its a ying, yang kinda thing that balences out everything.

I always frequent the LFS even if they aren't local.  It's more of a escape kinda thing for me, I like to go check out the new stock and look at the display tanks.  It's like I know I could wait tell the Matrix Reloaded comes out on video but damn I want to go see that in the theater.

Too Much is Never Enough

Marcus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marcus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2003 at 3:58pm

Thank you very much Mike.  I appreciate the compliment.  I hope that if anyone does have a problem with anything that I do here that they let me know.

Marcus

MarineAquatics View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarineAquatics Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2003 at 4:35pm

I think as a LPS owner we try to help people in this hobby.Which makes it hard when you see people asking for help or are looking for something. As a LPS you are wanting to help I think a Retailers Category is a great idea but also be able to have a input on the other forums, aswell to answer questions that members are looking for.I think as a LPS you owe the hobbiest any help you can give them cause deep down we are hobbiest too.

Eric,

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ewaldsreef Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2003 at 5:15pm
 So I am currious has ther been any actual problems problems related to this topic? I personally have not had any problems. 

SSpargur View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SSpargur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2003 at 10:41pm

I don't think it was an issue at all, more of a request for input.  I may be wrong, but I've seen nothing that would be an issue.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic