Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

New Guy

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
saltyjarhead View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote saltyjarhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New Guy
    Posted: June 18 2012 at 2:44pm
Just wanted to say hello to everyone and I look forward to learning all I can. I just bought a Biocube29 that was already established, but in poor shape. I had to empty the livestock (2 clowns) and clean the whole tank.

I plan on getting them back into the tank tonight depending on my peramiters. It did come with lots of nice live rock, but it had tons of aptasia. I killed most I could, but it's already comming back wo I will be picking up a few shrimp tonight.

How long do I need to wait before I start adding some acan's and anome's?

Thanks

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote saltyjarhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2012 at 2:46pm
BTW I am pretty sure I spelled a few words wrong.
Nails12 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nails12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2012 at 3:11pm
Welcome! I would definately check your water parameters before you throw some livestock in there even some shrimp... Peppermint shrimp would definatley chow down on some aptaisia... Again before adding coral or anemone's i would check you water conditions. Also aneomene's need to be in a more established tank (6 months) i would say just to ensure their survival... Aneomen's will also cruise around and perhaps sting and kill other corals. Its a risk for sure!!!
Lots of good help here, any questions just ask!
This is more than a hobby; its a lifestyle.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote saltyjarhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2012 at 3:36pm
Yeah my brother has been at his tank for 8 yrs and he also said to wait about 6 mo before some Anenomes are added. I figured I would just take it nice and slow. 
Dionysus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dionysus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2012 at 7:59pm
Originally posted by saltyjarhead saltyjarhead wrote:

Just wanted to say hello to everyone and I look forward to learning all I can. I just bought a Biocube29 that was already established, but in poor shape. I had to empty the livestock (2 clowns) and clean the whole tank.

I plan on getting them back into the tank tonight depending on my peramiters. It did come with lots of nice live rock, but it had tons of aptasia. I killed most I could, but it's already comming back wo I will be picking up a few shrimp tonight.

How long do I need to wait before I start adding some acan's and anome's?

Thanks

Welcome!!
AquaMedic 250 Watt XM 20k
2 420s Vhos
29 DT SPS Dominant
20 G Long Frag

My Tank Progress =)
Spbeyond View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spbeyond Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2012 at 9:45am
" I figured I would just take it nice and slow. "

Not my strong suit but it is the best thing you could do!
90 Gallon Reef w/4 bulb 54W t5

I buy, sell and restore pinball machines. Got one in the basement? ;)
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2012 at 11:24am

Who is your brother? I have known many hobbyists in Tooele over the years. Maybe he and I are acquainted?

My best advice would be to treat this tank just like you were setting up a brand new reef aquarium and a moved aquarium. I would strongly advise that you take the time to read the Secrets of an Affordable Reef Aquarium , also linked below in my sig line as well as the Tips about Moving an Aquarium, as well as the Tips listed below that regarding moving LS and moving LR

Enjoy
Big smile
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote saltyjarhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2012 at 2:04pm
Originally posted by Spbeyond Spbeyond wrote:

" I figured I would just take it nice and slow. "

Not my strong suit but it is the best thing you could do!

LOL That's the same thing I said when everyone tells me to go slow.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote saltyjarhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2012 at 2:05pm
Originally posted by Mark Peterson Mark Peterson wrote:

Who is your brother? I have known many hobbyists in Tooele over the years. Maybe he and I are acquainted?

My best advice would be to treat this tank just like you were setting up a brand new reef aquarium and a moved aquarium. I would strongly advise that you take the time to read the Secrets of an Affordable Reef Aquarium , also linked below in my sig line as well as the Tips about Moving an Aquarium, as well as the Tips listed below that regarding moving LS and moving LR

Enjoy
Big smile
Sorry sir my brother lives in Commerce City, CO I just get my info over the phone.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote saltyjarhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2012 at 1:45pm

Well I decided to get rid of the used Biocube29 that I recently bought and just bought me an Innovative Marine 30 Gal tank with LED lights and stand. I can't wait to get it and start the cycle.

Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2012 at 2:51pm
Forget the "cycle". That's old school. You might have your brother read the WMAS Reefkeeping Tips thread where the awesome alternative using modern biological technology is described. He might find it and this entire MB enlightening.
Big smile
BillyC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BillyC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2012 at 3:16pm
Everyone does things different. I personally would never start a tank without a cycle but everyone's different. My best advice to you is to look at people's tanks, pick one you really like, and try to imitate their techniques.
Akira View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Akira Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2012 at 6:25pm
Just so happens Im looking for a bio , you still have it ?  Also I have a ton of live rock to help you along ! Might be able to work a small trade . Kurt 801-637-6113
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2012 at 6:51pm
Originally posted by BillyC BillyC wrote:

I personally would never start a tank without a cycle but everyone's different.
This makes no sense. Confused Why set up a tank to have high levels of pollution when there is a way to completely avoid the death that comes from high pollution levels?
A person might as well drive straight into another car saying, "So what, I have insurance."
BillyC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BillyC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2012 at 7:41pm

Originally posted by BillyC BillyC wrote:

I personally would never start a tank without a cycle but everyone's different.
This makes no sense. Confused Why set up a tank to have high levels of pollution when there is a way to completely avoid the death that comes from high pollution levels?
A person might as well drive straight into another car saying, "So what, I have insurance."

I know this makes no sense to you Mark...

I assure you that for most, having patience is better than rushing a tank setup just to stuff it with ugly beginner corals and infesting it with invasive macroalgae.

To the original poster: I'm sure that you understand the purpose of a cycle and how "high levels of pollution," like Mark stated, are important for multiplying the bacteria that will ultimately keep your tank healthy and allow you to have a beautiful tank. Almost everyone will agree with me when I say that patience is key in this hobby.
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2012 at 12:08pm
The purpose of the WMAS is too learn from each other how to keep a better reef aquarium. The WMAS mission statement also places emphasis on education/learning. Please forgive my insistence, but I believe this is an opportunity for learning:

"Beginner corals" are not ugly, especially to a beginner. How many of us, when we saw our first Aiptasia Anemone, were awed and impressed with that little bit of life in our tank. Personally, to me all coral are beautiful, even the weeds like Kenya Tree. Have you ever noticed how, when Kenya tree closes up, it looks like little pine cones are all over the branches.Big smile

Macroalgae is not invasive. Algae is the basis of all life; it is food and protection. Of the most used macroalgae, Chaetomorpha is easily removed and Caulerpa is ravenously eaten up by fish.

Anyone can set up a lightly stocked reef aquarium in a week. It's only the old idea of the need for a "cycle" that leads uninformed hobbyists to think of it as rushing.

High pollution levels actually indicate that there is not enough bacteria and algae to handle the death and dieing that is going on in the tank. The lack of biofiltration causes further death and dieing while bacteria and algal growth try to catch up. In an established reef aquarium, the addition of a piece of uncured LR goes unnoticed as far as pollution levels. The life on the LR that was just hanging on recovers because it is constantly surrounded with good quality water. In the traditional cycling situation, that life dies as it is constantly exposed to lethal Ammonia levels, also leading to high Nitrates which are also coral and invert killers.

Patience is the major key in this hobby.
Of equal importance is knowing the processes of biological systems,
or at least trusting someone that does. Smile

Here is an amazing area of my big aquarium, a tide pool or kind of a Refugium. Tons of life. The fish were camera shy.

shawn0999 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shawn0999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2012 at 12:34pm
+1 billyc
xlr8r View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xlr8r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2012 at 6:50pm
The way I see the "cycle" is that we are not actuallt cycling a tank but waiting for the cycle to become stable. Our tanks are always cycling. We just dont want that cycle to become out of wack. However an individual decides to go about is just that, an individual way. We are all right at times and all wrong at timesSmile.

$.02
When you hear hoofbeats....Think of a zebra
BillyC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BillyC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2012 at 7:04pm

Here is an amazing area of my big aquarium, a tide pool or kind of a Refugium. Tons of life. The fish were camera shy.

With all due respect sir, I would never ever want any part of my aquarium to look anything close to this ^ . But beauty is in the eye of the beholder. If this is the kind of reef somebody wants to have then I have to admit that you are the true master of this reefing style ;)

Here's an example of what I find amazing and beautiful. I would never be able to keep this coral in a 3-day old tank and without a lot of patience.

Edited by BillyC - June 21 2012 at 7:05pm
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2012 at 2:14pm
I agree of course, SPS should not be added until 2-6 months after setting up a tank, depending on it's method of set up and it's readiness. Some ways of setting up a tank are quicker than others and also save more organisms from dieing. I don't suggest it for newbies, but I have kept SPS within a month after setting up a tank.

LOL Aiptasia - That was a pic I took to show everyone what Aiptasia look like in a tide pool here on the big island. I call it my "big aquarium". I do like that kind of wilder look as long as it stays in the wild.
Big smile 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic