Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Helios metal halide bulbs

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
ssilcox View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ssilcox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Helios metal halide bulbs
    Posted: March 12 2005 at 2:33am

Never mind. After a bit more research and checking out the spectral analysis - I decided against the Helios.

**EDITED**

Edited by ssilcox
reptoreef View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reptoreef Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 12 2005 at 3:22am
I haven't seen, but know that a few LFS including Aquatic Dreams in Ogden sales Helios brand bulbs(pc's for sure). Hope it helps.
www.captivereefing.com
Adam Haycock View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Haycock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 12 2005 at 10:45pm
Shane why did you decide against them specifically? I switched from a coralvue bulb to a Helios 12,500k and my corals really colored up nicely. Acros in my tank that had never had color on them before started getting purple tips and the growth really took off. After I bought mine, I tried to find some info on the bulb, but didnt find much. I did find that the PAR of thier bulbs are extremely high and close to iwasakis.
ssilcox View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ssilcox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2005 at 12:03am

The spectral analysis on those things are wierd. No specific spikes anywhere - seems to be a geneal "full spectrum" bulb. However you are definately right - the PAR is extremely high. (Around 125 shielded) Where did you find yours?

I am really looking for a 'bluer' tint. I am thinking of the Phoenix (Aquaconnect) 14k bulbs - they are close to the same PAR that my AB's are, with a huge spike in the 450 nm range, which should give some nice coral fluorescence whilst still retaining some killer par (88 shielded) for a blue bulb.

Adam Haycock View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Haycock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2005 at 12:46am
I got mine at Fish4U. It is pretty yellow, and the coral colors didn't look too vivid. But im comparing it to the other bulb that was over my tank - 20k aqualine. It was super bright and the corals grew a lot though. Much better than the 10,000k 400watt coralvue bulb i had (which was closer to 14,000k).
coreyk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coreyk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2005 at 1:32am
I am thinking of the Phoenix (Aquaconnect) 14k bulbs

I have 1 phoenix 14K over my 120 (in the center) and it is a very nice bulb. I'm replacing the hamilton that is over my cube with one ... I had a couple of corals really come to life under this bulb vs. the 20K that it replaced.
ssilcox View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ssilcox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2005 at 9:43am

Hey Corey - I have heard nothing but good about these bulbs. Are the pretty bright? Are they more of a 20k? Are you supplementing with actinic?

I am glad to hear that someone local is using one.

coreyk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coreyk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2005 at 11:50am
Its a great bulb .. It has a bit of blue, but it seems to have better PAR than my BLV 20Ks. I have not looked up the specs, but output is supposed to be almost identical to Aqua Connect 14K. Right now i run 20K BLV -- 14K Phoenix -- 20K BLV and really love the combo. No actinics except 2 18w for dusk dawn.
tileman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tileman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2005 at 11:55am
Corey, where can you find the Phoenix bulb?
335G Reef
TOTM.
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2015/2/aquarium
ReefKeepers TOTM Feb. 2012
http://reefkeeping.com/joomla/index....k-of-the-month

&
ssilcox View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ssilcox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2005 at 1:10pm

Brad -

http://www.reefgeek.com/products/categories/lighting/104656. html

Only place you can find them. They are back ordered or not in yet everywhere else.

-Shane

tileman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tileman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2005 at 1:28pm
Thanks Shane.
335G Reef
TOTM.

&
bugzme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugzme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2005 at 2:06pm
Brad are you thinking about going to 14k's?
Jeff
125 tank
50 gallon sump
T-5 lighting
Rum drinker, Carbon User
I KNOW ROCKS THAT ARE YOUNGER THEN ME!! I AM A Realist! I write what I think!!
tileman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tileman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2005 at 3:11pm
I'm thinking of getting a third light to suppliment the 20k's. Somewhat like Corey has done. I love the color of my coral, but I believe they would grow better with a lower K light.  Just thinking about it.  You know, that little deamon in the back of your head saying, hey! this would be better if........
335G Reef
TOTM.

&
coreyk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coreyk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2005 at 9:17pm
You know, that little deamon in the back of your head saying, hey! this would be better if.....

OOOHHHH!!! I know the one! LOL

Seriously though.. I had a soli frag that was under my 20Ks that really just "came to life" after adding the 14K. It has had more growth in the last 3 weeks than in the last 3 months.

I got mine from reefgeek... Greg is a really nice guy. Give him a call, he said he was getting more in last wed and my bulb shipped on friday.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic