Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

WHAT IS THIS GOO?!?!?!?! update

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
napalm77 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote napalm77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: WHAT IS THIS GOO?!?!?!?! update
    Posted: June 27 2012 at 9:29pm
Hey, so we got this coral skeleton with our 120, it was buried in the sand. We kept all the skeletons just incase they decided to come back. Well.... this one came back, and its growing quite well and developing color nicely. Only problem is, we have no idea what it is! It has a greenish blue mouth, pink rim, and its starting to get some greenish striping in the pink ring. Im thinking it will turn into a candy cane, but not totally sure.
What do you guys think? There is a picture of both lights, only white, and only blue so you can see the different colors.
Thanks in advance!
~Adrienne~

Edited by napalm77 - July 03 2012 at 6:25pm

jaschall View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaschall Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2012 at 10:35pm
Yes its a candy cane, nice find.
bstuver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bstuver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2012 at 10:58pm
Looks like a candy cane maybe, could also be a blasto. That looks more like a blasto skeleton to me...
Jackie Stuver

"wait these aren't the happy Hawaiians oompa doompa godly heaven on your face zoas?   I dont want them then. lol!" Ksmart
Fatman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2012 at 11:14pm
Hum....hard for me to say from the skeleton, since I'm new to this and have killed too many yet.  I do know what a Trachyphyllia skeleton looks like though.
napalm77 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote napalm77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2012 at 5:04am

I have purple and red blastos, it doesnt really look like them, there are no little 'spikes/fingers.' I assume candy cane too because of the colors of the flesh. Candy canes have deeper and wider spaces in the skeleton that the flesh sits into, this recovering coral doesnt have that yet... its still growing though, so we will see.  It would be so awsome if it happened to be a trachyphyllia! Looking up pictures of skeletons, it most resembles the trachyphyllia...

Edited by napalm77 - June 28 2012 at 5:28am

jaschall View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaschall Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2012 at 12:27pm
Google search 2 toned candy cane coral, I'm sure you will find the one you have.
jason10012 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jason10012 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2012 at 1:27pm
It definitely looks like a candy cane to me, here is a pic of the candy cane I have in my tank for comparison. Sorry I know its not a very good pic I took it with my phone.

30 gallon nano
napalm77 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote napalm77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2012 at 2:10pm

We have  really nice candy cane in our tank too with 15 or so heads. This skeleton doesnt look like it though, the flesh even seems too different. The colors match up, but nothing else does. Its hard to see but the skeleton is elongated with 3 wider sections, almost as if a partial split. It resembles a brain or elegance skeleton more than anything... nothing matches up! LOL

Also, instead of it growing up, into the walls, its oozing and growing sideways. The mouth is even stretching sideways.

I will update with new pictures everyweek till this thing is awsome again, whatever it is :)
Whoever guesses it right gets a free high five from me!

~Adrienne~

Edited by napalm77 - June 28 2012 at 10:44pm

Kaiden32 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kaiden32 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2012 at 7:56pm
Im pretty sure it isnt a candycane. They have branched skeletons. It looks like a blasto but the skeleton kind of resembles a welso brain. I could ve wrong though.
Kaiden32 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kaiden32 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2012 at 8:01pm
Heres a blasto that looks a lot like that.
hydro phoenix View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hydro phoenix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2012 at 8:02pm
Hey, just to chime in. I have Candy Canes and they don't look like it to me. By the way napalm 77, all those lovely zooa's you hooked me up with....yeah....they've all doubled in size!
recent absurdity..Unicorns have rabies
jaschall View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaschall Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2012 at 8:10pm
Its a candy cane that was in the process of splitting into 3.
tfmreefs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tfmreefs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2012 at 8:35pm
Hey, thats really neat! I am still realitively new to this, and learning more stuff every day, but the new thing i learned is that corals can come back! Super cool:)))
"The early bird might get the worm, but only the second mouse gets the cheese."
napalm77 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote napalm77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2012 at 10:42pm

Hydro, Thats soooooo awsome that they are doing so well!!! :)

Ya, like I said, I have have candy canes and blastos... it doesnt look like either.
Blastos don't split, they develop new heads, and if you look up pictures of the skeleton of a blasto, so not it.  And the candy cane heads... its possible... but ive never seen one that big/long.

I guess I should specify that this skeleton is about 2.5 inches long, and has three 'waves' in it. Im really hoping for a brain, though the coloring doesnt really look like it.  The 'walls' in the skeleton aren't deep enough to be a candy cane, and like Kaiden said, they branch... thats the main thing throwing me off that idea. The whole thing is only about an inch or less in height.

Where is the "EASY BUTTON" when you need it!?!?

Thanks for all your guys' input though!!! Its really working my noggin! lol
~Adrienne~

Kaiden32 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kaiden32 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2012 at 7:05am
Im really thinking its a brain because of the skeleton.
napalm77 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote napalm77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2012 at 4:30pm
Its getting some intense orange and green striping in the pink skirt... Ill post a new picture probably monday.

napalm77 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote napalm77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 03 2012 at 6:24pm
K, Here is a picture update!!! Check out the orange coming in and how fluffy it is! Not the best pic, but its still cool!

Josh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Josh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 03 2012 at 6:30pm

That is so awsome cant wait to see more color.

A winner never quits, but gets poor in this hobby!

Innovative Marine 30L
napalm77 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote napalm77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 03 2012 at 7:02pm
Me too! It'll be wicked cool!

Quickness View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Quickness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 03 2012 at 8:33pm

maybe move that sps out of the way so they do not sting one another.  I am curious as to what it is also.  Would be cool to see if it is a brain though. 

Molon Labe
Si vis pacem, para bellum
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic