Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

swapping sump to refugium

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Jay View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: swapping sump to refugium
    Posted: June 30 2012 at 12:03am
I want to go from a 20 gallon 2 part sump to a 30 gallon 3 section sump with a refugium in the center. Plz give me some tips on how to switch with the least amount of Bio problems. I have about 1 to 2 inches of crushed corral on drain side of 20 gallon but purchased 2 bags of aragonite sand. Do I just use new sand or a combo of sand and crushed corral out of existing sump. Tank has been up 6 mths plz give me suggestions on safest way to make transition. Thanks
DLindquist View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DLindquist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2012 at 12:31am
What type of bio filtration does your main tank have? I would use new material if you choose to keep sand or crushed coral in your new sump. I utilize half gravel and half Fiji Mud in
Y refugium section of my sump.
A government strong enough to give you everything you want, is powerful enough to take everything you have.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic