Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Leaving for vacation...

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
1stupidpunk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1stupidpunk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Leaving for vacation...
    Posted: July 02 2012 at 10:06am
My wife and I are going to be going on vacation for 2 weeks in august and her parents will be feeding the fish and making sure my water levels are kept(i dont have an ATO yet)

They arent very knowledgable of fish keeping so i will explain exactly what i want them to do BUT just wondering from peoples experience of things i can/should do before leaving for our trip.

I plan to do a water change two weeks or so before, make sure all my params are fine and do any dosing i need to do the week before. All the food and suplements i will have pre-portioned in ziploc bags in freezer, and i have my RO unit to collect clean water in my 15g barrel. Im sure im forgeting something important....

Input is greately appreciated.
jdinchak View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jdinchak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2012 at 10:19am
I use Bruce at Aquatic Tranquility for fish sitting. He makes sure everything is working, has any emergency supplies and it leaves me with a lot of confidence that a fish person is looking at it. Our pet sitter appreciates not working with fish. It wasn't too bad price wise. May want to look I to that.

If you still have them do it write everything down. Very detailed instructions. I would also show them the pumps and some spots to look for leaks. Also explain how important flow is and that the power heads are on. Then relax and enjoy your vacation.
180G Mixed Reef Tank

170G Dart Frog Tank
Ann_A View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ann_A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2012 at 10:29am
Originally posted by jdinchak jdinchak wrote:

I use Bruce at Aquatic Tranquility for fish sitting. He makes sure everything is working, has any emergency supplies and it leaves me with a lot of confidence that a fish person is looking at it. Our pet sitter appreciates not working with fish. It wasn't too bad price wise. May want to look I to that.

If you still have them do it write everything down. Very detailed instructions. I would also show them the pumps and some spots to look for leaks. Also explain how important flow is and that the power heads are on. Then relax and enjoy your vacation.

+1 on all of that

Also, make sure you do not have them turn off any pumps for feeding, so that they don't forget to turn them back on. I had my house-sitter do that one time, and if it weren't for my Vortech, I'm sure my tank would have died after a week of no flow. Lucky for me, they didn't remember how to turn the Vortech off, and although I had a lovely algae bloom and some very unhappy corals, I didn't lose anything.

Also, you may want to have a buddy from the forum come in maybe once a week just to double check that the tank is looking good. That way you can enjoy your vacation and not worry one bit about your tank (which of course doesn't usually happen for most of us).
1stupidpunk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1stupidpunk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2012 at 3:37pm
Well i would more then be happy with a fellow reefer checking up on it for me. However, i live way up in brigham city and the wife doesnt want some stranger in the house while we are gone...
But i think i will leave the number to the nearest fish store on the fridge just in case....
As for pumps and whatnot, i will instruct them not to touch anything. I guess i really need them to do is feed fish and top off evap water...?
e46slc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote e46slc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2012 at 4:14pm
Why don't you just setup an ato with a 50 gallon brute trashcan filled with ro? It might be the best 125 bucks you'll spend. At that point your parents will just have to feed the fish.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic