Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

144g half-circle at work

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Corey Price View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Corey Price Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 144g half-circle at work
    Posted: July 03 2012 at 1:05pm
Still battling cyano, but it's getting better. Thought I'd post this tank, since we've had it for several years now.

144g Oceanic tank & stand. I have a love/hate relationship with the tank and stand. The tank is cool to look at, with no corners, but has a giant plastic top/brace that limits access. I want to cut it out since it truly serves no purpose on this tank. The thing is sagging, not even in tension at all. The stand is nice with smoked glass doors but structurally a POS, and that's being nice. I should have gone for a custom stand, but oh well.

I use a Neptune ACIII for control, which is the best thing I have purchased. An Apex controller is on the horizon, though.

Lighting consists of 250w DE metal halides with Phoenix bulbs supplemented with 4-36" T5HO actinics. I may upgrade the tank to LED sometime soon.

In-tank pumps are two MP40w Vortechs, one on each side of the half circle. The pumps put out awesome flow, and I can't turn them up or I get a sandstorm. The half-circle really helps direct the flow around the tank.

The sump is a 30 breeder, which is all that would fit in the lovely (feel the sarcasm) stand. I have a Warner Marine skimmer, which on a good day, will blast junk out. On a bad day, it just fills the neck with gunk. Circulation is by a Mag 12 pump and valved/backup drains. The standard RDP refugium is employed with chaeto. Top-off is handled thru the ACIII and a McMaster-Carr solenoid valve with a float arm for backup.

Fish include a hippo tang, tomini tang, yellow tang, two clownfish that spawn regularly, a mystery wrasse, and an aiptasia-eating filefish/alien.

Corals are whatever I like. Notice the wavy wall of green star polyps all over the back. While I love them, they tend to clog the overflows and I have to continually cut them back.

Maintenance is provided by Aquatic Dreams. I would do it myself, but it's easier to have them do it while I work.

bstuver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bstuver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 03 2012 at 1:14pm
Looks nice! I love half circle tanks they look so cool.
Jackie Stuver

"wait these aren't the happy Hawaiians oompa doompa godly heaven on your face zoas?   I dont want them then. lol!" Ksmart
Melissa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Melissa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 03 2012 at 1:19pm
I appreciate that tank every time I'm waiting for Reggie to come up front Smile
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 03 2012 at 2:39pm
Awesome as usual.
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Corey Price Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 03 2012 at 3:28pm
Originally posted by Melissa Melissa wrote:

I appreciate that tank every time I'm waiting for Reggie to come up front Smile

I can't remember, but have we met before? Next time you're at our office, have the receptionist call me...

Corey

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Corey Price Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 03 2012 at 3:31pm
Originally posted by Mark Peterson Mark Peterson wrote:

Awesome as usual.

It would be better if I didn't have a cyano problem. Well, it's green now instead of purple/brown... I've added sand, turned up the flow, kept a good watch on feeding, cleaned the skimmer pump and needle wheel, etc. I have a GFO phosphate remover, but haven't hooked it up lately. The cyano problem has been going on for a year now.

Corey
CapnMorgan View Drop Down
The Capn'

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CapnMorgan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 03 2012 at 11:35pm
I love the semi-circle! Very cool tank! I also really like the rockwork, minimal, but not barren. Thumbs Up I know it's technically cheating but every once in a while I will dose a little chemi-clean. clear the cyano right up and it stays gone for months.
Steve
My Old 180G Mixed Reef
Currently:
120G Wavefront Mixed
29G Seahorse & Softies
Running ReefAngel Plus x2
435-8

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Corey Price Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2013 at 12:55pm
I still have the stinking green cyano issue. Phosphates are at 0.26 ppm. Nitrates are at 0.625 ppm. These numbers are based on a Red Sea Algae Control Test Kit and are high when compared to ideal as far as I can tell.

Suggestions? I just saw the thread that Laird used Chemiclean to good success. If I have phosphates and nitrates at that level, then something is up and I may solve the cyano problem but lose to another type of algae.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Corey Price Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2013 at 9:59pm
The cyano is gone!!!!!

WOHOO

I am still in denial that a snake-oil product cured it. I kept telling myself that the product doesn't work, it doesn't work, it doesn't work, it won't work, it's looking better but not because of that, it's clear, it's completely clear...

Here's a few pictures from today.

Overall tank picture.

Resurrected montipora colony. I thought I lost it, seriously!

Alien-eye.

Elegance with purple tips.

Red goniopora. I've had this coral for a year and it seems to do great in this tank.

I've made three major improvements:

1. LED lighting. Fabulous. I can't believe it. The LED's just amaze me and the coral is doing better than awesome. I've been at this hobby for a long time, and that was one of the best things I have ever done.
2. Dosing pump. Boy, that beats a calcium reactor (oops, did I say that?) and dosing calcium, alkalinity, and magnesium by hand any day. The tank parameters are, for once in my life, stable. Again, another one of the best additions to my hobby ever. I just check on levels, adjust the dosing rate, and refill the chemical containers every two to three weeks.
3. Snake oil supplement. I feel sheepish to say what it is as I'm still in denial.

Edited by Corey Price - October 03 2013 at 10:11pm
DMower View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2013 at 10:11pm
Beautiful Tank!
150 gal reef with 50 gal sump. Reef Octopus DCS-200 Skimmer. AI Sol Blues.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Corey Price Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2013 at 10:17pm
I had a bad aptasia anemone problem until I added this wonderful, zooanthid-eating fish:

I just remember that I can't have zooanthids. I have found that I can live with that. Now if he'd develop a taste for red frilly mushrooms.
Dion Richins View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dion Richins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2013 at 8:55am
Looking awesome!!!!
Bad "censored" Cabinets
Best quality in the valley! He is one sexy bald guy, even with out a finger!(MAC)
Mike Savage View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2013 at 3:36pm
Beautiful tank Corey!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Corey Price Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2013 at 7:55am
Thanks guys! If I didn't have scouts on Thursdays, I'd come to the meetings and say hi.

Corey
80cent View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 80cent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2013 at 8:57am
Can I ask what snake oil product(s) you used?
love2skiutah View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote love2skiutah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2013 at 9:33am
Awesome tank.  
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2013 at 11:19am
I last saw this tank in person about five years ago. It looked good then, but now it's absolutely awesome. Great job Corey. Thumbs Up
Do your office mates know how spoiled they are? The tank they see every day at the office is one of the best around.

WOHOO!!!
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Corey Price Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2014 at 4:22pm
Just an update- the tank is looking great. The red goniopora is still doing awesome, which is surprising.

The two best things I've done are the Radium lights and the dosing pump. They really made a difference!
Mike Savage View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2014 at 4:44pm
Thanks for the update Corey. Photos would be great too!

Dion Richins View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dion Richins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2014 at 6:24am
I stopped by and saw this tank while working in the building. IT looks AWESOME!!!!!! Cory had done a fantastic job!
Bad "censored" Cabinets
Best quality in the valley! He is one sexy bald guy, even with out a finger!(MAC)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic