Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

worms!?!?!?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
rwgoose View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rwgoose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: worms!?!?!?
    Posted: July 08 2012 at 1:05pm
so i found these two worms in my tank.. they are huge!! are they flat worms?? or??
getting fishy??
builderofdreams View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote builderofdreams Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2012 at 1:06pm
Flat worms are orange and look like Meseals.
It's Not a Hobby It's an Obsession
150&210 Gallons of Madness and. Sanity! 801-850-4915

http://www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=65135&title=builderofdreams-feedback-post
rwgoose View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rwgoose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2012 at 1:08pm
getting fishy??
rwgoose View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rwgoose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2012 at 1:09pm
pic sucks but thats the guy

getting fishy??
CrimsRayne View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CrimsRayne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2012 at 2:22pm
Bristleworm? Those guys creep me out. Make sure they stay away from your corals esp zoas as they may eat them if there isn't enough food for them.
"What we know from this hobby is too hard to share with the people who just want to look and not get wet." -Rioreefer

"The Puffer Girl"

Zoo freak :)

West Jordan
hydro phoenix View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hydro phoenix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2012 at 6:26pm
That does not look like a bristle worm. I dunno.
recent absurdity..Unicorns have rabies
bstuver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bstuver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2012 at 8:57pm
Doesn't look like a bristle to me either... I can't think of the name of the ones that are huge
Jackie Stuver

"wait these aren't the happy Hawaiians oompa doompa godly heaven on your face zoas?   I dont want them then. lol!" Ksmart
rwgoose View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rwgoose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 09 2012 at 6:29am
so besides what they are, does anyone know if they are harmful or are they ok??
getting fishy??
hydro phoenix View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hydro phoenix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 09 2012 at 12:34pm
need to what they are first to know what they do. 
recent absurdity..Unicorns have rabies
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 09 2012 at 6:05pm
Unless i see an organism causing trouble, I usually don't remove it.
That looks like a large green Bristleworm similar to one that I had some experience with. It wasn't causing any trouble, not eating coral that I could tell, but I decided to remove it just the same.

The easiest way to catch Bristleworms is with the Bridal Veil Trap.
1- Buy a piece of Tulle material for just pennies at the Fabric store.
2- Wrap up a cube of frozen meaty food or a piece of raw shrimp in the Bridal Veil/Tulle.
3- Using a length of fishing line or thread, tie the material loosely but so it cannot come apart and set it down into the tank near the area where the Bristleworm has been seen living.
4- Make the leader long enough to have the end out of the tank, so that when the mob of Bristleworms has become entangled in the material trying to get to the food, the whole thing can be pulled out of the tank and tossed in the garbage.

Since the green Bristleworm is so large, I'd buy two different mesh sizes of Tulle. If one doesn't work, the other will. (There are many uses for Tulle material in this hobby.) Bristleworms have to be able squeeze through the mesh so that when you pull it out they can't quickly escape. Also works best at night, but don't wait too long or they will devour the bait and leave.
Big smile

Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
Molli View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Molli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 09 2012 at 6:38pm
OMG Mark, I'd freak out if I had worms that looked like that in my tank! 
rwgoose View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rwgoose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 09 2012 at 6:40pm
thanks Mark.. i will be worm fishing soon!! Tongue
getting fishy??
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic