Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Bought my first 3 fish and one has ICH

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
saltyjarhead View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote saltyjarhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bought my first 3 fish and one has ICH
    Posted: July 11 2012 at 7:58am
Well long story short bought my first 3 fish Sunday night and they all looked great. The next day start noticing small white spots on the Royal Gramma's tail. Cought it that night and got it into a bucket with a pump and heater I had ready for my water changes. I guess that is why people use a QT tank and leave them in there for 10 days or better huh?

So now I am wondering what to do with the other two fish? Just leave them in the DT and start a Garlic feeding routine and see if they don't get ICH or should I pull them out and QT them? I have no corals or anything else in my tank. I hear you have to leave your DT unoccupied for about 90 days?

Edited by saltyjarhead - July 11 2012 at 8:00am
Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2012 at 8:04am
Tough call.  For me, I'd leave them in the tank.  I don't try to ever completely eliminate ich, instead just try to keep things healthy enough to fight it off.  I wouldn't stress the fish by removing them.

Adam
Come to a meeting, they’re fun!
Fatman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2012 at 8:06am
Well, I'll defer to the experts on this, but it seems to me that if you only have these three fish in the tank it is pretty much a QT tank. The issue would be the live rock in there which could die off depending on what you use to treat it. 

Experts chime in!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote saltyjarhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2012 at 9:54am
Originally posted by Adam Blundell Adam Blundell wrote:

Tough call.  For me, I'd leave them in the tank.  I don't try to ever completely eliminate ich, instead just try to keep things healthy enough to fight it off.  I wouldn't stress the fish by removing them.

Adam

That'[s kind of what I was thinking. I have been reading on another forum where a person did the water transfer method on the fish and left his tank unoccupied for 3 months and as soon as his fish went back into the tank it had ICH again. Seems like a lot of time spent with nothing in your tank to just get it again.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote saltyjarhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2012 at 9:57am
Has anyone ever tried ICH-Attack or rid-ich on ther tank or not worth it?
Ann_A View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ann_A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2012 at 10:38am
First off, don't panic. Remain calm and do not make impulsive decisions. (I did both of these the first time I dealt with ich)

Having dealt with ich in a variety of ways myself, I would say just leave the fish in the tank, feed with garlic, and just do your best to keep them as healthy as possible. The problem with quarantine tanks and moving fish around is that it causes stress, which can be fatal. Also, as mentioned earlier, there's no guarantee the ich won't come back. If it gets to be too bad and you don't feel the fish will make it, you could consider using Furan-2. I just recently used it and all three tangs that were coated in ich, are doing great, with very little ich remaining. However, Furan is not reef safe (as far as I know), so I would recommend dipping the fish if you must use Furan.

I did this when I did a water change by mixing a small amount of the Furan (about 1/4 teaspoon) into some of the waste water (about 5 gallons). Then, put the fish in the bucket, and let them sit for about 15 minutes while I pumped new water into my tank. Once the water change was done and I was ready to dump the waste water, I simply netted the fish and moved them back to the display tank.

Again, the ideal way to deal with ich consists of keeping the fish as healthy as possible, limiting stress to a minimum, and not panicking!
1stupidpunk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1stupidpunk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2012 at 10:56am
I agree with all the above posts. When i had my ich outbreak heres how i treated it. Turn the temp up to 80, higher temps = higher metabolic rates for ich speading up their life cycle. Feed the fish well using garlic ( i always soak my food in garlic and amino/huffa suplement). I let this go for a week or so and it worked pretty well.
If you notice the ich spots getting worse or the fish rubbing constantly you can you Ich Attack. I have personally used it in my reef tank with succes. While it is reef safe i wouldnt say its reef friendly. Most of my corals were very aggitated and they stay shriveled up for the entire 5 days i dosed. None of them died and did eventually return to full size, but i think if i had dosed for more than the 1 week i may have lost a few....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote saltyjarhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2012 at 11:21am
I don't currently have any corals in my tank. What do you guys typically feed that you would soak in garlic oil? All I have is the Royal Gramma, Orange spotted watchmen Goby and a Yellow Clown goby. I have just fed the flakes once the royal was the only one that was interested in it.
Ann_A View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ann_A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2012 at 12:48pm
I have 2 clowns, and 3 tangs and feed frozen mysis and brine everyday (alternating between the two), which is soaked in garlic for about 10inutes prior to feeding. I also have pellets that are anti parasitic (with garlic as an ingredient), and some tropical flakes, both of which are soaked in garlic for about 5 minutes before feeding. I feed with the flakes/pellets mixture every other day. On the days between, I put in Nori strips for the tangs. Plus I target feed all of my corals three times every week with a mix of frozen mysis, brine, and a nanochloropsis plankton paste. So in total every week, 13 cubes of frozen food (7 of which are garlic soaked), and about 1/2 a teaspoon of flakes and pellets (also soaked in garlic), all go into my tank. I'm sure I'll get a lot of crap about over-feeding for this post, but all of my fish are doing great since starting this feeding schedule.

I also want to point out that the fish you have aren't all that well known for being susceptible to ich (not to my knowledge). Unlike tangs, your fish will likely be easier to treat and the treatment will likely be more effective. So obviously what works for one person may not be the best option for your case.
Molli View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Molli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2012 at 1:15pm

Would someone explain how you soak your fish food in garlic?

Quickness View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Quickness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2012 at 2:03pm
Originally posted by Molli Molli wrote:

Would someone explain how you soak your fish food in garlic?

Easiest way that I have found is to get a bottle of Garlic RX.  Just soak your food with a few little drops of it in the liquid that you are thawing your food in. 
That is what I do.  And have done for a while now.  Seems to work great.   
Molon Labe
Si vis pacem, para bellum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote saltyjarhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2012 at 2:28pm
Thanks for the info where do you get the frozen mysis from just the LFS?
Semper Fi
You can live for many causes, but you can only die for one. Pick that one very carfully.

Josh Giles
fishnfresh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fishnfresh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2012 at 2:31pm
Yea LFS has it. You can use it in any food you feed that is frozen or spectum pellets has some garilc in it already.But I make like a gumbo pellets,mysis,brine, and more stuff then put a few drops of garlic RX and mix it good then feed
troyholl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote troyholl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2012 at 2:41pm
I use Kent's Extreme Garlic with great success. Frankly from all the reading I've done and my own experience I'm not sure its really possible to keep, in the long term, ich away from our tanks. The Garlic doesn't magically make it go away either, but it does seem to strengthen their immune systems and ability to survive it.

I've taken the approach to make my tank as healthy a place for my fish to live as I possibly can, to feed the fish well (I personally think overfeeding is better than under) and a happy fish with a strong immune system has a better than even chance to survive ich as well as other problems. 

I'll add... my Powder Blue constantly had ich in my 90 g tank... soon as he would get better and stronger, it would come back. .... but since moving him to the 270g tank he is VERY happy... has twice as much energy and swims around all over the place as happy as can be. I've changed nothing else and didn't do anything to keep the ich from the new tank and I've yet to see any signs on him or any other fish. Frankly the old tank was too small for him and so he was stressed all the time...and nothing makes ich appear faster than stress...

Troy Hollingsworth
Riverton, Utah

270 Gallon "Custom" Tank
Akira View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Akira Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2012 at 8:50pm
I tend to agree with the posts above about garlic . When I had ich outbreak it was on my blue hippo , yellow tang and red sea sail fin. I did lose my sail fin but the others survived with garlic dosing, I just put a full dropper of garlic on 1 cube of brine or mysis and let it unthaw then a little bit of water before feeding . Also always feeding your fish in the same  spot everyday gets them used to coming for the food which i had already done. I went extreme and added a uv sterilizer, I still have it if you would like to use it at the same time as garlic .....
Thorn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2012 at 10:00pm
One problem I had with garlic is the garlic supplement I bought was in a bottle that was difficult to dose from.  Tipping the bottle often just made a mess.  I was in Michael's a week or two ago and noticed a package with two eye dropper bottles.  I put the garlic in these, and it is easy to put a drop or two in my frozen brine shrimp, mysis, etc. to marinate while they defrost.  If your garlic oil doesn't come with a dropper, it is worth a couple of bucks and a trip to the store to get these.
40 Gal. Breeder - 20 L refug/sump
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic