Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Mixing Salt for a new tank

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
lskurys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lskurys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Mixing Salt for a new tank
    Posted: July 14 2012 at 1:03am
This might be a really dumb question.  So what does everyone use when they set up a large tank? 

I am going to be getting a 220 gallon tank sometime next week and would like to set it up where my 75 gallon is now.  So even if I could recover every drop of salt water from my tank I am thinking that I will still be short close to 150 gallons.  I really don't want to purchase a large water storage tank for this as I will not need to make that much water again at one time as far as I can see. 

I would like to mix the salt in batches but with trying to set up the new tank where the old tank is I don't think that I will have time for this option.  I did think that I might be able to use the AS SEEN on TV moving men to slide the old tank out of the way.  I just am not sure if they will let me slide the tank. 

Thanks for any help you can offer.

Shelby
220g , large elite aquatics sump. 3 Radion Pro Gen 3 lights 3 Mp 40's
Lewy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2012 at 2:31am
To bad it's going exaclty where the old one is. I would say mix it in the tank then add from the old to seed it.
40 gal w/ 20 sump
CrimsRayne View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CrimsRayne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2012 at 3:11am
Well first off you'd need some seriously strong guys to even think of moving a full tank.  75 gallons at 8lbs/gallon is 600lbs just for the water.  Add a couple hundred pounds of rock and sand and the weight of the tank and stand and you are probably over 1000lbs easy.  Speaking of weight if you are putting the new tank on an "upstairs" floor (main floor with basement) you will probably want to run the tank perpendicular to the joists to distribute the weight.  (Joists usually run from the front to the back of the house.)  Plus take it from someone who learned the hard way... Level the tank BEFORE you fill it.  My 210g had a slow splashing overfull issue in the low corner...  drove me crazy.

As for your real question (mixing salt) most people use large garbage cans.  (20-30g)  If you have extra equipment (heater and pump) it is even easier as you can use the pump to stir the salt and the heater to get it up to the right temp as tap water is cold or if you plan to use RO it isn't as big a deal but you still may want to warm it up from room temp.  Obviously it will take several batches, but it goes pretty quick and it is easier to keep track of how much water you have added so you can leave 75g for the other tank.  

Coming from someone that had upgrade fever and went from 29g-75g-125g-210g just in the living room.  Some tips on upgrade day.  Move as much rock/coral/fish/ as you can into styros or buckets.  Drain as much water as possible (make sure they are out of the way as you don't want to be tripping over them.)  Start filling up a garbage can with water to mix.  (make sure you have a pump with a tube long enough to reach the tank and don't leave the running water unattended)  Add salt, heater, and pump.  Check salinity in a few minutes.  When salinity and temp are good pump water into the new tank.  While salt is mixing move old tank and position new one.  Transfer sand into new tank.  When enough water has been added to compensate for the difference see if you have enough to start running the tank.  (probably pretty close depending on how much water you can add from the old tank)  If possible let the new tank run for a little while, the sand should be pretty settled by now.  Check the temp of the stuff in buckets/styros.  Acclimate to reach a similar temp.  Move the old rock/coral into the new tank.  If water is still cloudy wait on fish.  If it has been more than 2 hours go ahead or put an airstone in the buckets so the fish can breathe.  Finish setting up new tank along the way.  Kick your feet up cause you've earned it.  Smile  Others may do it differently but that's just what worked for me a half dozen times.
"What we know from this hobby is too hard to share with the people who just want to look and not get wet." -Rioreefer

"The Puffer Girl"

Zoo freak :)

West Jordan
lskurys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lskurys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2012 at 11:25am
Thanks for all the great info.  I though that mixed salt needed to sit for 24 hours  before it is used.  As for the old tank I was thinking that I could drop about 50% of the water out in to a tub.  After the water has been lowered  only needed to lif each corner about an inch so that I can slip the plastic moving men under the tank corners.  From there I am hoping to slide the old tank to the other side of the room and pump the water back in to that tank. Then I could set up the new tank, do the plumbing. If needed I can mix the salt water in the new tank and wait until the next day to move all of the corals and what not to the new tank. 
Fatman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2012 at 12:24pm
I've got a couple of 15-20 gallon tubs you could use, but you'd still be way short.  I'm in the Ogden area.

CrimsRayne View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CrimsRayne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2012 at 2:31pm
I forgot to mention the risk of using those movers. Be VERY careful as if you torque the tank it could break and then you'd be in all sorts of trouble. Someone correct me if I'm wrong but lifting a tank in that manner just sounds like a bad idea.
"What we know from this hobby is too hard to share with the people who just want to look and not get wet." -Rioreefer

"The Puffer Girl"

Zoo freak :)

West Jordan
Dionysus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dionysus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2012 at 3:14pm
I wouldn't try moving a tank with 1 inch of water in it, let alone a half a tank you would break it.

Edited by dionysus - July 14 2012 at 3:15pm
AquaMedic 250 Watt XM 20k
2 420s Vhos
29 DT SPS Dominant
20 G Long Frag

My Tank Progress =)
Dion Richins View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dion Richins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2012 at 10:32pm
Its really easy to call Aquatic Dreams in clearfield. They will deliver water when your ready :)
Bad "censored" Cabinets
Best quality in the valley! He is one sexy bald guy, even with out a finger!(MAC)
lskurys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lskurys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2012 at 12:45am
That is a good idea. They are already going to help drop off the tank
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic