Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

seahorse tank ideas?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
1stupidpunk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1stupidpunk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: seahorse tank ideas?
    Posted: July 16 2012 at 11:19am
Hello all,
After all my reading and researching is done i want to attempt a seahorse tank sometime around christmas (when we get settled into new house). I want to get some H. Erectus as seahorse.org says that they are hardier than most other species.

Im looking for ideas/help with equipment selection...
I want the tank to be taller than standard sizes, and im thinking 40-50ish gallon column/hex preferable already drilled with overflows.

I would like to have a sump with a large refugium area for pod growth and also a place to have a heater, skimmer, and UV.

As seahorses dont like high intensity lighting im looking for input on what the min lighting i would need to keep basic softies and macros alive. I plan on having some sort of macros for hitching posts, possibly turtlegrass or some slower growing calurpa? Also plan on having some bright vibrant color corals to hopefully keep the seahorses full of nice color, probably lots of mushrooms, and xenia, some leathers, and maybe some acans (lighting permitting).

I would like to keep the rockwork to a minimum to allow more room in the sandbed for grasses and hitching posts. Maybe use more branch type LR??

Im really looking for some good input so i can setup a really good tank for them to thrive in. Personal experiences keeping seahorses would be great to hear..
Morlaz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morlaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2012 at 12:01am
i don't know much about sea horses, other than they can be tricky, but you should try and get a hold of a lady who volunteers at the living planet aquarium. i can't remember her name but i'm sure if you called in they would tell you, she maintains and does everything for the seahorses there, and she is quite good at it.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic