Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Dinoflagellates problem and high PH

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
CrimsRayne View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CrimsRayne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Dinoflagellates problem and high PH
    Posted: July 18 2012 at 6:36pm
So the last couple days my corals have been less than their best and I did a 20% water change two days ago and it helped a little, but now there is this stringy algae that I found is called dinoflagellates or calothrix all over some of the rocks and corals.  I've tried just blowing the algae off the corals but it is back a couple hours later.  I tested my levels and found out I have high PH at least 8.6 it was off the scale and ALK was low, around 1.7, so I dosed some ALK a few min ago to try and get that back up.  I have a TON of macro in the tank and I think my skimmer is working right, but it has been on the fritz so I'll check it again.

My question is should I do something to lower the PH like dose vinegar?  Should I limit my lighting to "starve it out"?  Any help is appreciated.  Pics below...

Edited by CrimsRayne - July 18 2012 at 6:50pm
"What we know from this hobby is too hard to share with the people who just want to look and not get wet." -Rioreefer

"The Puffer Girl"

Zoo freak :)

West Jordan
Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2012 at 8:06pm
I wouldn't freak out yet.... but the easy thing to do.... 80% water change.  

You just fixed about every problem with the water.  Then, I'd up the clean up crew (I'm guessing it is low) with some more snails.  Depending on how long the tank has been up, I'd consider swapping the sand.  But probably not yet.

Adam
Come to a meeting, they’re fun!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic