Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Refugium setup

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
WhiteReef View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WhiteReef Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Refugium setup
    Posted: June 04 2003 at 7:15am

I have been contemplating putting up an above aquarium refugium that combines an algae tank and a sponge tank.  Has anyone seen how to do something like that?  My thought is that since my basement is not finished I would build it into a wall with the two tanks above it and encorporate a surg device into it.  However, this is still about 6-12 months away before I even start to construct it.

----------------

Richard

Former 47G Column Reef, Magna
20" x 18" x 31"H
Marcus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marcus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2003 at 1:54pm

Make sure that you think about what will happen if the power goes out.  I don't think it would be that hard to do.  Usually show tanks are on top and refugias and sumps are on the bottom.  Just switch it.

My question for you:

Why don't you put it under the tank?

WhiteReef View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WhiteReef Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2003 at 3:25pm
The reason for having them above is to provide an area that will grow pods and such that will travel back to the main tank without going through a pump/impeller.
----------------

Richard

20" x 18" x 31"H
Marcus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marcus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2003 at 4:40pm

I feed my main tank by putting a chunk of brine or whatever in my sump, then it melts and my pump shoots it into my main tank.  I still see complete brine shrimp floating around when I do this, so I know that the impeller doesn't chop it up too much.

WhiteReef View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WhiteReef Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 05 2003 at 7:50am
I want live food and not dead food to feed the tank.  I do my normal feeding with prepared foods, but the added benifits of live food is what I am trying to achieve (even though I know that I will need to supplimental feed my tank for the health of the fish and anemones).
----------------

Richard

20" x 18" x 31"H
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2003 at 8:15pm

Pumps do not damage the microinverts!!!!!

The level of the lower tank must be kept many inches below the top so that the water from the tank above does not flood the lower tank and ruin the floor. I have written an article about this with a diagram of my DIY overflow box. Email me if you want a copy.

Again - pumps Do Not damage copepods or any other tiny inverts. (The exception is tiny jellyfish.) If you want, post a request it and I will take the time to explain it.

tomason View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomason Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2003 at 9:58pm

>> Pumps do not damage the microinverts!!!!!

I guess it makes sense that the pumps don't shread them, based on how a centrifugal pump works.  I hadn't thought of that before.

That's good to know!

WhiteReef also started another thread a while back about automating the feeding of live food.  This information makes that as simple as putting a powerhead on a timer.

WhiteReef View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WhiteReef Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2003 at 8:06am
Thanks for the advice.  I have always heard that pumps will damage the phyto and other microverts that would pass through them.  So I was working off of this assumption.  I will definately use this new information to my advantage and change my thought process on how to design my 'future' setup.  Also if that is the case then I have some excellent ideas that would probably help me achieve the setup I want.
----------------

Richard

20" x 18" x 31"H
jfinch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jfinch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2003 at 8:54am

I know, first hand, that a school of white bass don't fair very well after spinning through the impellar of a (big) pump... Yuk!

No personal experience here, but I would agree that a pump doesn't hurt phyto or very small pods, but some of the bigger ones (brine shrimp size) have to be hurt somewhat, don't they?  Just 'cause a frozen block of brine shrimp exit the pump whole doesn't necessarily mean that a living organism wouldn't be damaged does it?  I still like the idea of gravity feeding back from the fuge to the aquarium... it may not be as practical, but I'd do it if I could.

Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2003 at 8:47pm

It's great to have Jon bring his engineering and scientific brackground to our group.

We had a visitor a few years back, actually he was so good we had him three times. He is John Walch, the builder of C-Quest, one of the two or three major marine ornamental fish breeding and rearing companies. He tried unsuccessfully to create what he then thought was a need to provide water circulation without killing fish larvae or plankton. It was a sort of screw inside a rubber cylinder first developed by a scientist way back when.

I think it was called an Archimedes Screw. Anyway, he couldn't get it to pump enough water for their needs, so finally went to the impeller driven pumps and studied just how much damage they did. What he found surprised him. I think that his number was something like less than 2 percent damage. If anyone is interested his seminars were very informative and are on VHS tape (transferred from my 8mm camcorder tapes) in the club library.

If you think about the physics of it, the copepods are in a fairly large envelope of water that is being pushed by a paddle. This paddle is huge to them. Relatively few animals actually make contact with the paddle because they are suspended in the water being pushed by the paddle. The larger the organism the more damage is done. Half the live brine shrimp going through an impeller come out visibly damaged. I've observed it when I feed live GSL brine shrimp.

BTW - Sponge are very important to the stability of our tanks. Sponge is one of the reasons why an older tank is so much more stable in mishaps. Something I may not have mentioned before is that one of the reasons my little 10 gal is so amazing so soon is that along with the sand, coral and algae introduced immediately, I also introduced a fast growing sponge that can exist in light or dark areas. Call me if you want a cutting.

Mark 296-1563

P.S. Jon, please tell us the story of the white bass  ...please...please.

jfinch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jfinch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2003 at 9:34pm
Quote: Originally posted by Mark Peterson on 16 June 2003

P.S. Jon, please tell us the story of the white bass  ...please...please.

Not much to tell, the chemical plant I worked at in Texas used a large reservoir of water for process cooling.  The water was pumped out of the lake and through the plant via shell and tube heat exchangers (think of a bundle of about 300 1 inch tubes with water flowing through them).  The pump was big, 300 hp (ca. 10,000 gpm).  10 or 12 inch suction line stuck down into the reservoir with suction screens to keep "debris" out.  One day a bunch of our exchangers were not working so we shut off the pumps and opened the exchangers.  There must have been 200 - 300 white bass jammed up against the tubes blocking all/most of the water flow.  It was a mess, not many made it through in one piece .  It was both the funniest and strangest thing I've ever seen.

Time to send the divers back down and fix the inlet screens!

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic