Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

pyramid snails :(

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Morlaz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morlaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: pyramid snails :(
    Posted: July 28 2012 at 11:44pm
too many to hand pick, what do i do? :( kill all my live rock? new rock? where do i keep my corals? fish?  i'm sooooo sad :( thousands of them... please help asap.
tfmreefs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tfmreefs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2012 at 12:09am
K, well I am NO expert, but i did a quick search so i am literaly copy and pasting off other websites. Heres a couple i could find ----

-"This may work, First if you have any clams remove them from your tank and pick off and kill the snails you see the brush the shell clean to remove any eggs. I would take a small plastic container like a 1 Qt. take out food container with lid. cut around 6 small holes at the side bottom edge big enough for the snails to crawl in. I would then bait it with chopped clams w/ garlic to attract them in. Sink it in the bottom of tank and change food to something else if the clams don't work.
Ive also read that Scooter Blennys will eat them
Good luck
"

-"Fresh water dip all your rock for about 30 minutes. All the nasties will vacate the rock but quick."

-"When I first got my clam I had a outbreak of Pyramid snails. I added a 6-line wrasse and they all but vanished. I thought they were gone for good. But when the 6-line jumped ship the snails re-appeared. I added a new 6-line and the snails again appear to has vanished again."

Sorry! Hope this helps, good luck
"The early bird might get the worm, but only the second mouse gets the cheese."
Morlaz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morlaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2012 at 12:16am
i have a 6 line, he used to eat them. but he stopped, i guess ill just fw dip the rocks and clean the sand, clams died a while ago, but they are creating a turbosnail Grave Yard...

tfmreefs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tfmreefs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2012 at 12:33am
Very sad and sorry to hear:(((((( I would be soo pissed, and i am not saying your not, but this is very frustrating! If only i could give you more help one these! But snails arent really my thing:(.......... I am sure that some one else on this bored will have more knowledge about these than i do. . . .
"The early bird might get the worm, but only the second mouse gets the cheese."
Bluespotjawfish View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bluespotjawfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2012 at 10:46am
I was able to ride my tank of millions of them.  I brushed off the clam as best as I could a few different times , then hand picked out daily what I could find in the tank (first thing in the morning before lights come on is the best time to see them), and adding a Melanaris Wrasse to get any I missed.

Good luck. 

Home of the baby Picasso!
Morlaz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morlaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2012 at 10:55am
alrighty i'll try that.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic