Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Bloated Clownfish

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
1stupidpunk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1stupidpunk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bloated Clownfish
    Posted: July 30 2012 at 6:40am
Last night after feeding my fish i noticed that both my clownfish have very bloated bellies. I googled bloated belly and got several possible explanations. Swimm bladder infection, internal parasite, constipation, or air ingestion. I dont think its a swim bladder infection as the fish act just fine, are swimming normal, and dont seem to have an equilibrium problems.  I suppose it could be an internal parasite, but none of the other fish seem to have bloated bellies, and both the clownfish are affected with symptoms occuring almost at the same time. I feed a mixed variety of brine, mysis, phyto, and veggie crisps. But i hear that too much meaty foods can make fish constipated? I had just feed some flake/veggie crisps and the clownfish head to the water surface to eat, so air ingestion is very possible. I read something about trying to "burp" the fish my massaging its belly?

Anyone ever experienced this, and if so how do i remedy it?
larseb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote larseb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2012 at 11:30am
My clown fish was bloated the other day and I just didn't feed for couple of days and the bloating went away. I wouldn't be to worried about.
BobC63 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobC63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2012 at 12:05pm
Your fish may just have overeaten.

My clowns do that from time to time.

As long as it goes away in a day or 2 I would not do anything... maybe just cut down on feeding for a day or 2.
- My Current Tank: 65g Starfire (sitting empty for 2+ years) -

* Marine & Reef tanks since 1977 *

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1stupidpunk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2012 at 1:46pm
Well good news, I didnt feed them yesterday and this morning they look perfectely fine!
ch3tt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ch3tt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2012 at 2:34pm
do you have a pair? She could be pregnant if they are old enough and she might have laid. before my clowns lay their bellies get huge.  
Red Sea Reefer 625 XXL

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1stupidpunk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2012 at 4:37pm
i have a pair, but they wouldnt both look bloated would they?
ch3tt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ch3tt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2012 at 5:27pm
Yeah probably not, I didn't notice it said both.
Red Sea Reefer 625 XXL
sabeypets View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sabeypets Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2012 at 9:38pm
Clownfish with bloated bellies after feeding is a sign they ate well, and/or overate. When selling baby/small clowns I usually tell buyers be cautious when feeding flake food as they WILL overeat and in extreme cases float on their sides at the top of the tank for hours.
Shaun
American Fork
"Would you leave a dead cat in your kitchen till tommorow?" Builderofdreams
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic